Dec 19, 2003
7918 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto

Toilet water tank crack!!! Help please.

found a long crack vertically on the water tank of the toilet
about 7 inches long
its leaking so i turned water off and flushed what was in the tank

should i be replacing the whole toilet or just the tank?

or use something like sticky putty or epoxy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoC6b1QpUic

if replacing the tank, any recommendations?
the bowl itself is old
like 24 years old
something quiet would be nice

also is it hard to replace it myself?
34 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
I'd replace it.
In our area, muncipalities are even giving $60-100. rebates on efficient toilets to encourage people to use less water.
You could get a whole nice new toilet for $100, spend about $30-40. in tools if you dont already have them, and be done in an afternoon.

Plenty of sites on google that explain how to swap a toilet. But of course you already knew that :)
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Dec 27, 2007
688 posts
105 upvotes
Oshawa
Replace it, trying to fix it via a patch job probably won't last in the long run. Your better off getting a new bowl and tank as many manufacturers produce specific tanks that go with specific bowls. If your green conscious, there are a few dual flush products on the market that not only operate and look good, but also save you a little bit of money on your water bill.
Sep 10, 2003
126 posts
2 upvotes
Replace and get your rebate, even if it was 10 yrs old let alone 24. Don't need any special tools, just something to tighten the bolts. Might take 30 min.
A new wax ring unless the new toilet includes it.
Now the fun part is choosing what you want from low flush to dual flush, single and two piece.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1854 posts
133 upvotes
An epoxy putty will probably last longer than the toilet tank, but looks ugly. Get a new tank, they can be as cheap as $50.00.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2471 posts
75 upvotes
replace the bowl aswell...because being that u said its more than 20 years old, chances are you wont find a tank that is compatible with your bowl
my advice would be to lean towards a Toto, or Caroma
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1918 posts
10 upvotes
KELOWNA
If it's any help, I replaced a toilet this year for the first time and it was easy. As long as you can lift one (or have help to lift one) they are very straight forward to do and not nearly as icky as I expected them to be. You can do it in no time flat even on your first time.

Basically it's turn off the water, flush, empty all remaining water out. Undo the water supply lines (which you can do with a wrench if you can't do it by hand) and bolts on floor) and take it off (garbage bag on floor or something else to keep the floor dry while you move the old toilet out is a good thing). Redo the wax ring, put new toilet on, put the new tank on, do up bolts and water supply, turn on water, done. The only tool I can recall needing was a wrench.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7918 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
thanks for the input
hmm im into the idea of dual flush even though there is no water metering in my city

i cant find any rebates on BC Hydro's website for toilets
so looks like ill be paying for this out of my own pocket

what model do you guys recommend?
do i really need to replace the bowl too?

where should i go for toilet shopping?
homedepot?
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4014 posts
31 upvotes
Replace. You'll spend more time trying to get the right tank then it's worth -- maybe a ReStore might be a consideration for an inexpensive fix/replace, but I recently upgraded a 20 year old toilet with a Toto Drake and I am very happy with it -- it is a highly recommended model too.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7918 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
thanks

does HomeDepot sell Toto Drake?
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
10276 posts
1148 upvotes
Markham
Evil Techie wrote:
Apr 21st, 2008 1:33 am
thanks for the input
hmm im into the idea of dual flush even though there is no water metering in my city

i cant find any rebates on BC Hydro's website for toilets
so looks like ill be paying for this out of my own pocket

what model do you guys recommend?
do i really need to replace the bowl too?

where should i go for toilet shopping?
homedepot?
http://www.toiletrebate.ca/toilet_rebat ... canada.php
Sep 16, 2007
218 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawarse
Is this a Crane toilet? They are prone to cracking and there's a class action lawsuit going on.
Apr 26, 2004
611 posts
Tical wrote:
Apr 21st, 2008 5:17 pm
Is this a Crane toilet? They are prone to cracking and there's a class action lawsuit going on.
I forgot the brand, one of my friend flooded the house because of the crack. It turns out insurance covered everything because there is a brand that is defective. Definitely check with your insurance company
Deal Addict
May 20, 2003
2864 posts
24 upvotes
Evil Techie wrote:
Apr 21st, 2008 2:41 pm
thanks

does HomeDepot sell Toto Drake?
I don't think HD sells Toto.

You'll have to try the local plumbing stores. I haven't bought anything from Brightstar on Fraser but I've heard of good reviews from others. They carry Toto. There are also a couple stores on Kingsway (Decor Bath and Save More Plumbing) that I have seen sell Toto.

The Drake is a very highly regarded toilet. I think it's a good choice.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7918 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Tical wrote:
Apr 21st, 2008 5:17 pm
IT IS!!

from 1980's
ive googled and looked on CBC's website as well but cant find anymore information on it

does anyone know much about it?

the good thing was we found the crack and the leak early on so there wasnt much flood damage but it is hard to say since water may have seeped underneath the tiles...
should i still contact my insurance?
× < >