• Dec 3rd, 2019 7:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7859 posts
2962 upvotes
Markham

Tokyo - Post your DDD places / Good Eats

I know there's a master Japan thread but I want this to be Food/Restaurant eats specific.

Especially for those who have been multiple times, please post your not to be missed places to eat. The more non-touristy known places are much appreciated.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8185 posts
2120 upvotes
Mississauga
What is DDD?
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2004
1245 posts
749 upvotes
It’s crazy but every restaurant/stall/fast food joint is good in Japan. Walk into any food place and it’s good. I don’t know how they do it but it’s true.
Dec 13, 2005
12 posts
13 upvotes
Not a diner, drive in, nor dive, but I had great tempura in an office building in Shinjuku ... I wrote a review in Tripadvisor about it, but with only 11 reviews written in English so far, I would say that it's not very touristy.

Tendon Tenmabushi Tenkichiya Shinjuku
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7859 posts
2962 upvotes
Markham
Punky Hunky wrote:
Dec 1st, 2019 11:14 pm
It’s crazy but every restaurant/stall/fast food joint is good in Japan. Walk into any food place and it’s good. I don’t know how they do it but it’s true.
This is also what I've heard....which makes it hard to choose. In the old days, we didn't have the internet and resources like Yelp or Tripadvisor or Google. Unfortunately, there's tons of lesser visited reviewed places which get overlooked which is why I'm asking for kindof off the radar places. A place like Mojomiko posted for great tempura is a much appreciated.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
4972 posts
4133 upvotes
Not sure if it's worth your time to seek out specific places mentioned here...

There's so much to see and eat in Tokyo that I wouldn't waste my time hunting down a random tempura restaurant in an office building, unless you happen to be nearby.

Literally walk down any street and pick any place that seems popular and you can't go wrong.
Aug 31, 2012
218 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
superfresh89 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2019 12:11 pm
Not sure if it's worth your time to seek out specific places mentioned here...

Literally walk down any street and pick any place that seems popular and you can't go wrong.
True. Didn’t have any bad food in Japan.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9348 posts
1919 upvotes
Somewhere
Maplesugar25 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2019 12:26 pm
True. Didn’t have any bad food in Japan.
McDonald's was disappointing. The fries were dry. The nuggets didn't taste like chicken. The sweet and sour sauce was too sour.
:confused:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8185 posts
2120 upvotes
Mississauga
There aren't really any dives in Japan. The people there take pride in their cleanliness.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1190 posts
158 upvotes
Just returned from a brief trip to Osaka and Tokyo.

Difficult to have a bad meal in Japan... from 500 yen beef and rice places, random Ramen places in train stations, to high end sushi, and everything in between.

I stumbled upon Seamon Ginza quite accidentally and had the very best sushi I've ever had. The lunch set was 6000 yen, which I think was very good value given the quality and overall experience.
Oct 3, 2011
517 posts
302 upvotes
OTTAWA
the nuggets didn't taste like chicken or that you're accustomed to eating the fake pressed chicken loaf nuggets from here and that the taste of it is different there?

I found the palate of japanese foods both their take on our our fast food chains and the local cuisine to be very agreeable to me and I found very few things I outright didn't like or found meh. Most of the time if I didn't research places ahead of time, we'd take a quick loop around to see what was available and then pick one. It leads to a less touristy experience. If all you do is look up trip advisor suggestions, all you're going to get are the top tourist places to go. That's not to say I didn't do that, but we also rolled the dice a lot. Also I would have liked to have gone to more home cooking style restaurants.