• Oct 5th, 2010 12:32 pm
[OP]
Banned
Dec 6, 2008
771 posts
65 upvotes
Alberta boy

was told I need a new engine mount.....

Was just at Honda today getting airbags put in and they said they noticed that my front engine mount where my engine and transmission is has too much room to move. They said I should replace it, I asked how serious it is and if its somethg I could do without. He said its something I should replace asap and not a good idea to leave it.

New mount from honda $300
1.5hrs labour - $175
Total $475.

I just crapped my pants.

What you guys think? Obviously if I havto replace the mount then I have no choice but to pay up the $475.
29 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10777 posts
5096 upvotes
Brampton
FuzzyWuzzy wrote:
Oct 1st, 2010 10:30 am
Was just at Honda today getting airbags put in and they said they noticed that my front engine mount where my engine and transmission is has too much room to move. They said I should replace it, I asked how serious it is and if its somethg I could do without. He said its something I should replace asap and not a good idea to leave it.

New mount from honda $300
1.5hrs labour - $175
Total $475.

I just crapped my pants.

What you guys think? Obviously if I havto replace the mount then I have no choice but to pay up the $475.

Well with worn mounts. You get more "shift shock" you're loosing torque so you may be applying the gas more to get the car going (so you use more gas, but it's a Honda so what torque?). The other thing that happens is more vibrations in cabin. You may notice it when the car is in gear.

$300 is a lot for a mount. I'd check Rockauto. GM wanted like 300 for a mount as well. I was able to get 3 mounts for $2xx. Depending on the car the mount could be a 30min or 3 hour job.(******** locations, rust, etc.)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
5922 posts
155 upvotes
Murica
go to an indy shop.
replacing an engine mount shouldn't cost that much.

since you're driving a honda. google ahon parts, call them up and ask for a quote on the part and labour. assuming your in GTA.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2009
1354 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
You could go with an aftermarket "performance" mount. I'm not sure what Honda you drive but they may be cheaper and better quality than OEM honda mounts.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2008
4428 posts
545 upvotes
Scarborough
tebore wrote:
Oct 1st, 2010 11:01 am
Well with worn mounts. You get more "shift shock" you're loosing torque so you may be applying the gas more to get the car going (so you use more gas, but it's a Honda so what torque?). The other thing that happens is more vibrations in cabin. You may notice it when the car is in gear.

$300 is a lot for a mount. I'd check Rockauto. GM wanted like 300 for a mount as well. I was able to get 3 mounts for $2xx. Depending on the car the mount could be a 30min or 3 hour job.(******** locations, rust, etc.)

lol...I've had similar issue with my TDI. At first I thought it was just unbalanced tires, but when I switched over to my summers, the vibration was still slightly there. I should really look into this on my car as well. It would sorta also explain my drop in mileage. :confused:
Help Contribute to our Wedding Fund :) A wise fortune cookie once told me this:
"A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist"
FS: Christmas Window Decor :lol:
FS: 10mm H&R Trak+ wheel spacers, 5x100/112, 57.1c/b
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5728 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
Took a quick look, about $100 + install, cheaper at rockauto but I'm not too sure about border problems plus Ass costs

based on an 03 Accord 4 cyl

Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2798 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
FuzzyWuzzy wrote:
Was just at Honda today getting airbags put in
Why the replacement air bags? Isn't this a car you recently purchased?
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1049 posts
11 upvotes
My corolla's engine mount was gone.
The major problem is that it will damage your exhaust because the engine is rocking back and forth so much.

So if you want to keep the car, fix it. If you plan on replacing it soon, no worries.
[OP]
Banned
Dec 6, 2008
771 posts
65 upvotes
Alberta boy
Whitedart wrote:
Oct 1st, 2010 1:00 pm
Why the replacement air bags? Isn't this a car you recently purchased?

Ya recently purchased but apparently there was a manuf. recall on the airbags so they replaced and installed it @ no cost.
bob0 wrote:
Oct 1st, 2010 1:05 pm
My corolla's engine mount was gone.
The major problem is that it will damage your exhaust because the engine is rocking back and forth so much.

So if you want to keep the car, fix it. If you plan on replacing it soon, no worries.

Thanks, sounds pretty serious so i will get the mount replaced.
[OP]
Banned
Dec 6, 2008
771 posts
65 upvotes
Alberta boy
googoo wrote:
Oct 1st, 2010 12:16 pm
Took a quick look, about $100 + install, cheaper at rockauto but I'm not too sure about border problems plus Ass costs

based on an 03 Accord 4 cyl

Brent

Can you post me the direct lin? Is rockauto in calgary? I need it local. thx
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5728 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know what car you own, and Rock Auto is from the States. You can check autopartsway Canada and see if they stock it.

Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
[OP]
Banned
Dec 6, 2008
771 posts
65 upvotes
Alberta boy
googoo wrote:
Oct 1st, 2010 4:01 pm
I don't know what car you own, and Rock Auto is from the States. You can check autopartsway Canada and see if they stock it.

Brent

2001 Civic SI Coupe 2dr.

Icalled Napa and they said I have to call Honda for this part.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2798 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
FuzzyWuzzy wrote:
Oct 1st, 2010 3:33 pm
Ya recently purchased but apparently there was a manuf. recall on the airbags so they replaced and installed it @ no cost.
Ok, so not related to the recent purchase or anything.
Thanks, sounds pretty serious so i will get the mount replaced.
It can be serious, but get another opinion from a local shop other than the dealer.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14500 posts
3807 upvotes
London
FuzzyWuzzy wrote:
....What you guys think? Obviously if I havto replace the mount then I have no choice but to pay up the $475.
Fuzzy,
Some cheap advice. Ask your friends, co-workers, family, etc for recommendations on a good garage/mechanic. Someone whom you can trust.

It will be a lot easier on you if someone who can actually see the car and phyiscally show you what work needs to be done. This will be better than asking in a forum like this where people can't actually see the car and can only recommend advice based strictly on what you've written.

Go to the same garage even for oil changes. Even if it costs you an extra $20 per oil change vs. Walmart, at least that mechanic will be familar with the car. He can give it a good look over every few months and recommend work to you that needs to be done and when it should be done by. It will save you money in the end.
[OP]
Banned
Dec 6, 2008
771 posts
65 upvotes
Alberta boy
Whitedart wrote:
Oct 1st, 2010 4:21 pm
Ok, so not related to the recent purchase or anything.

It can be serious, but get another opinion from a local shop other than the dealer.
l69norm wrote:
Oct 1st, 2010 4:31 pm
Fuzzy,
Some cheap advice. Ask your friends, co-workers, family, etc for recommendations on a good garage/mechanic. Someone whom you can trust.

It will be a lot easier on you if someone who can actually see the car and phyiscally show you what work needs to be done. This will be better than asking in a forum like this where people can't actually see the car and can only recommend advice based strictly on what you've written.

Go to the same garage even for oil changes. Even if it costs you an extra $20 per oil change vs. Walmart, at least that mechanic will be familar with the car. He can give it a good look over every few months and recommend work to you that needs to be done and when it should be done by. It will save you money in the end.

Do you think Dealers have the bad tendancy to exagerate or make up problems too just for the sake of pinching every penny out of their customers? Good advice ill take it to another mechanic first to get it checked out.

I was told to do this.
To check the mount, try raising you hood and watching the motor for movement (and noise) while starting AND while starting the car moving from a stop, in both forward AND reverse, since the torque will be tranfered in different directions.