Is this too hot for CPU idle temp?

My setup:
MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+
AMD Phenom II X4 965
XFX 750W PRO750W Core Edition Single Rail
Cooler Master Hyper 101 CPU Cooler
Kingston KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX 8GB Kit 2X4GB 1600MHz DDR3 - 4x for 16GB
Antec Three Hundred MidTower Gaming Case

I haven't even loaded anything just looking at the temp on bios.
CPU: 53C
Mainboard: 27C

I heard it's supposed to be around 30-40C :(

I touched the heatsink and it doesn't seem hot at all.
38 replies
May 31, 2012
488 posts
246 upvotes
Toronto
What's the temps when you're actually in Windows idling / gaming?
😃
Sep 19, 2009
796 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
thinfilms wrote: What's the temps when you're actually in Windows idling / gaming?
I haven't even loaded windows. I was surprised it kept increasing. Isn't it already not within normal range?

I'm about to load Win7
Feb 18, 2011
108 posts
28 upvotes
Got a Phenom II X2 Laptop. Different, I know, but for comparison's sake mine runs around 50-55 with full power and no power saving features turned on while idle, and can get as high as 80 while running CPU intensive applications. Been like that since the day I bought it. That's while sitting atop a perforated aluminium chill stand with fans off and lots of space underneath.

Setup Windows, install core temp, and find an online tool to max your CPU out and see how high the temp goes. Under 90 and you should be golden.
Sep 19, 2009
796 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Some more info... my CPU fan is running at 2200 RPM... isnt this kind of low?
Sep 19, 2009
796 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
mac151 wrote: Got a Phenom II X2 Laptop. Different, I know, but for comparison's sake mine runs around 50-55 with full power and no power saving features turned on while idle, and can get as high as 80 while running CPU intensive applications. Been like that since the day I bought it. That's while sitting atop a perforated aluminium chill stand with fans off and lots of space underneath.

Setup Windows, install core temp, and find an online tool to max your CPU out and see how high the temp goes. Under 90 and you should be golden.
90C?! really?? this is normal?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7675 posts
10977 upvotes
Scarbs
My 955 at 3.9ghz idles at 33'C and is 52'C under load (CM212 push); I recommend reapplying the thermal paste, especially since you mentioned that the heatsink didn't feel warm.
Sep 19, 2009
796 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
aeba7 wrote: My 955 at 3.9ghz idles at 33'C and is 52'C under load (CM212 push); I recommend reapplying the thermal paste, especially since you mentioned that the heatsink didn't feel warm.
Is it possible to apply TOO much thermal paste? I thought I had put too much and wiped some off

I just lifted the fan, reapplied.... I touched the CPU and it's not hot at all...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7675 posts
10977 upvotes
Scarbs
gotridet wrote: Is it possible to apply TOO much thermal paste? I thought I had put too much and wiped some off

I just lifted the fan, reapplied.... I touched the CPU and it's not hot at all...
Its like a condom; it should be as thin as possible, but it's gotta be there.

The thermal paste allows for the transfer of the heat from the surface of the chip to the heatpipes; if you add too much or if there are air pockets, you won't transfer as much heat as quickly compared to a thin, uniform layer.

Edit: Here we go. I knew I had a link to this article lying around somewhere in my favorites folder.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?o ... mitstart=4

Give it a good read =)
Sep 19, 2009
796 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
aeba7 wrote: Its like a condom; it should be as thin as possible, but it's gotta be there.

The thermal paste allows for the transfer of the heat from the surface of the chip to the heatpipes; if you add too much or if there are air pockets, you won't transfer as much heat as quickly compared to a thin, uniform layer.

Edit: Here we go. I knew I had a link to this article lying around somewhere in my favorites folder.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?o ... mitstart=4

Give it a good read =)
The paste looks like the second last picture...
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
1646 posts
292 upvotes
Your paste looks fine. You have to load Windows first as bios temps are ALWAYS higher.
Sep 19, 2009
796 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Tainger wrote: Your paste looks fine. You have to load Windows first as bios temps are ALWAYS higher.
Is there a reason why? don't they both use the same sensor?

I'm loading it. Will give it a good shot afterwards.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1705 posts
61 upvotes
Windsor
gotridet wrote: Is there a reason why? don't they both use the same sensor?

I'm loading it. Will give it a good shot afterwards.
Under windows, your cpu can idle. Under the bios (and dos, for those old-schoolers), there's no idle loop going on.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2603 posts
1850 upvotes
North Vancouver
Install Speedfan and see what it tells you for your temps.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2010
3373 posts
129 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
AIDA64 for most accurate readings. Since you have a Phenom II CoreTemp is good too, it gets the same results as AIDA except for in Ivy Bridge (unless Coretemp has a new update, I haven't checked it in a while).

53C is very hot in idle if that is what you see on the desktop considering 62C is max and your computer will shutdown automatically once it reaches that temperature (unless the motherboard has no failsafe feature turned on, AFAIK I don't know if you can even disable that failsafe without modding)

You have CM Hyper 101 with pushpins? Make sure it is pushed all the way through (the black middle thing should be slightly protruding out of the white plastic thingie on all four corners at the back, it can't be uneven on one side)
Banned
Jul 18, 2012
111 posts
1 upvote
wilsonlam97 wrote: My AMD laptop idles at around 70-80°C.
too hot even the CPU is AMD. I don't think this is normal for me.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4114 posts
299 upvotes
New Westminster
sounds hot to me but i'm not much use for amd info... does your case have decent cooling also?
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)