Too many returns banned from costco

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2018 11:30 am
[OP]
May 26, 2007
517 posts
91 upvotes

Too many returns banned from costco

Has anybody been banned for this? I had bought 4 haier TVs and returned them because of defects. Before that I had the odd return here and there. Now I'm worried I might get banned. Am I being too paranoid? . Anybody have some insight?
Last edited by insomnia77 on Jun 11th, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
33 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18842 posts
3954 upvotes
Thornhill
Up to their discretion.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
2981 posts
835 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
Be careful, you don't want to get added to the Banned from Costco DNA Database®
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3038 posts
1830 upvotes
insomnia77 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2017 2:54 pm
Has anybody been banned for this? I had bought 4 haier TVs and returned them because of defects. Before that I had the odd return here and there. Now I'm worried I might get banned. Am I being too paranoid? . Anybody have some insight?
You bought 4 TVs at once and all 4 were defective? Pretty hard to believe imo.
Jun 5, 2017
113 posts
38 upvotes
At the Circus
insomnia77 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2017 2:54 pm
You are darn right to be concerned. Costco will inflict upon you the worst punishment. They will make you buy twice as much crap as you are currently buying. They will put your picture on the wall at the entrance so everyone knows you are someone who changes his mind. They will follow you when you shop at the store. And they will not send you a Christmas card. There you have it!
[OP]
May 26, 2007
517 posts
91 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2017 4:07 pm
You bought 4 TVs at once and all 4 were defective? Pretty hard to believe imo.
No bought one then returned...bought another then returned...etc. Kept picking from same batch with number 5 thinking this was latest release lol. All number 5's have scuffs top of screen bought from different Costco. I don't normally return things so that's why its on my mind.
Jun 5, 2017
113 posts
38 upvotes
At the Circus
Don't worry you'll be fine. I once talked with a Costco employee about returns and he told me that a lady was returning 3/4 of everything she bought. But she was buying for $5K per month, every month. So it was all fine with Costco.

You have nothing to worry about.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
1708 posts
359 upvotes
Hometown
All credibility was lost IMO when the author called Costco the "U.S. supermarket chain".... If they got that major detail wrong the rest of the report is probably suffering from a smattering of alternate facts. Also it was a totally different scenario, with people returning items like used luggage that they were really just renting for a single use with NO intention of keeping or perishable items like dead flowers...

As for the OP being worried about being banned, Costco should be ashamed of themselves for continuing to foist these TV's off on customers after the yellow tint fiasco, and now the batch of screens with the finish obviously having manufacturing defects. Costco should give Hisense or TLC a shot.... Hard to believe they would have any more problems than Haier.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
4593 posts
2468 upvotes
Sorry, I don't get it.

I could see buying one, not being happy, and returning it for a replacement.

If I was not happy with the 2nd (especially if the issue was identical to the 1st set... I would clearly see a trend) and never bother with exchanging for a 3rd or 4th as my time & money is worth more to me

Quality always out ranks a deal for me (NO DEAL to ever be found in wasting my money on a shoddy item).

So sorry, cannot see why you'd go down this road 4 times. I would have been looking for my money back / different tv a lot sooner in the process.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1463 posts
516 upvotes
Tokyo
Imsmarterthanyou wrote:
Jun 11th, 2017 7:42 pm
Don't worry you'll be fine. I once talked with a Costco employee about returns and he told me that a lady was returning 3/4 of everything she bought. But she was buying for $5K per month, every month. So it was all fine with Costco.

You have nothing to worry about.
While I don't return 3/4 (maybe closer to (1/20), I have a high personal spend with Costco so my local store has been very flexible with me, including processing returns from US/Japan/Mexico etc..
Jun 5, 2017
113 posts
38 upvotes
At the Circus
McKinsey wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 11:04 am
While I don't return 3/4 (maybe closer to (1/20), I have a high personal spend with Costco so my local store has been very flexible with me, including processing returns from US/Japan/Mexico etc..
Yes, volume matters! After all, isn't Costco all about volume? There is a very good reason why there is no express checkout lane at Costco. They don't want you to buy in small quantity. Also, people believe they are always saving money when they buy in large quantity, even when it is not true.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
22664 posts
3066 upvotes
Costco has some of the worst customer service out there though this is only in my limited experience. This is not really that surprising to me given their lousy approach to people, including those trying to give them money :rolleyes: However I have heard of other retailers (like Amazon) banning people too but typically that's with questionable transactions (i.e fraud) and very high return percentages. I know there's Amazon "sob stories" out there, people on forums/blogs complaining about it but given these people are big complainers I'm sure they returned more stuff than they let on.

Anyway after my experience at Costco, not sure I want to go back there other than going in the exit to get hot dogs/pizza or using gift cards or asking ppl with memberships to get the very few exclusive items they have that I actually want to buy from them.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)