Too many returns banned from costco

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2018 1:41 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4344 posts
422 upvotes
Markham
Imsmarterthanyou wrote: Don't worry you'll be fine. I once talked with a Costco employee about returns and he told me that a lady was returning 3/4 of everything she bought. But she was buying for $5K per month, every month. So it was all fine with Costco.

You have nothing to worry about.
5k is before or after 3/4 return? If before return, then actual purchase is only 5k*1/4,probably lower than average Costco customers
Jun 13, 2017
213 posts
203 upvotes
See they are in membership business and don't make much or any at all on merchandise sales. So high returns do affect their bottom line. Their max markup is like 13-14%? When it gets returned, unless it's in sell-able condition, they have to discount it by more than that to liquidators.

I make several unopened item returns mainly due to limited quantity remaining but try not to open them until I am pretty sure I want to keep it.

Let's not abuse the system. I like how they work to try to keep the price low unlike other retailers.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
1661 posts
880 upvotes
hiddenthread wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 10:51 pm
See they are in membership business and don't make much or any at all on merchandise sales. So high returns do affect their bottom line. Their max markup is like 13-14%? When it gets returned, unless it's in sell-able condition, they have to discount it by more than that to liquidators.
Actually no. Part of Costco's game plan is that the vendor/manufacturer agrees to accept all returns no matter what. So if you return, say, shoes you wore for 3 years and brought back, Costco gives you a full refund, ships the worn-out shoes back to Reebok/Adidas/Rockport/whoever, who then has to refund Costco. The shoe manufacturer sells a hell of a lot more shoes so any losses via this route are merely "cost of doing business". But one you (and Costco) can take full advantage of.
Jun 5, 2017
113 posts
39 upvotes
At the Circus
smartie wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 10:30 pm
5k is before or after 3/4 return? If before return, then actual purchase is only 5k*1/4,probably lower than average Costco customers
Sorry I can't say from the way he was talking and I didn't push the subject further. I was buying two identical TVs and those were the last two they had in store at that time. I was 98% sure it would be fine as far as size was concerned but since I wasn't 100% sure and I didn't want to have to return two TVs, so I asked one employee if I could buy one and they would put aside the other one for a few hours. So I could go home make sure it fits fine and then come back to buy the second one. And that's when he told me that story about the lady.
Jun 5, 2017
113 posts
39 upvotes
At the Circus
hiddenthread wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 10:51 pm

I make several unopened item returns mainly due to limited quantity remaining but try not to open them until I am pretty sure I want to keep it.

Let's not abuse the system. I like how they work to try to keep the price low unlike other retailers.
FYI, the bakery markup is usually between 40% and 200%. That's why Costco started its own bakery. Some items are really, really cheap at Costco. But you need to be selective if you don't want to end up paying average for your whole basket of goods.

Costco employees are better paid, but Costco has the smallest number of employees compared to other stores of similar size.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2635 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
I have seen people returning dead plants and flowers. Anyway I love Costco.
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Oct 17, 2002
602 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
superfresh89 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2017 4:07 pm
You bought 4 TVs at once and all 4 were defective? Pretty hard to believe imo.
Assuming you just wanted to get some tvs for multiple rooms (bedroom, basement, main floor/living room, etc...). You bought all the same model, and once you brought them home and set them up, you realized they were all crap. I've bought multiple monitors before (5) for similar reasons... didnt return them though.
[OP]
May 26, 2007
518 posts
91 upvotes
Well just an update . Still havent been banned. So i guess im safe lol. For the record i dont return unless its warrented and i dont like doing it.
Feb 11, 2018
442 posts
298 upvotes
I never buy something with the idea that I might return it. I buy something with the intention of keeping it. I only return it if it is defective out of the box, or during the warranty period. I hate having to return something. A company/store selling a good deal of defective products will eventually lose my business on a permanent basis.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1045 posts
340 upvotes
London
insomnia77 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 10:27 am
Well just an update . Still havent been banned. So i guess im safe lol. For the record i dont return unless its warrented and i dont like doing it.
one thing i was wondering after u bought the first one when u came back to exchange it why didn't u just ask them to open up the new one in the store and let u test it before taking it home. idk about Costco but best buy normally will do this would have saved alot of returns as they could have just found one that was good before u getting it home.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8521 posts
1774 upvotes
London
DJ Trance AZ wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 8:32 am
I have seen people returning dead plants and flowers. Anyway I love Costco.
It's pretty common practice for garden centers to guarantee their plants for a year.

Costco says cut flowers should last 5 days.
We guarantee fresh, beautiful floral arrangements and plants that will last at least five days. If you are not satisfied with the freshness of your flowers, please contact customer service and we will gladly replace your item.
Jan 22, 2018
50 posts
6 upvotes
I recently returned 4 pairs for pants (never worn, all tags still on) 3 yrs after I bought them.
Mar 17, 2009
151 posts
35 upvotes
Mississauga
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 12:43 am
Actually no. Part of Costco's game plan is that the vendor/manufacturer agrees to accept all returns no matter what. So if you return, say, shoes you wore for 3 years and brought back, Costco gives you a full refund, ships the worn-out shoes back to Reebok/Adidas/Rockport/whoever, who then has to refund Costco. The shoe manufacturer sells a hell of a lot more shoes so any losses via this route are merely "cost of doing business". But one you (and Costco) can take full advantage of.
Sorry, I know I am replying to this after a year..... but I just saw it now.

This is false. Part of the deal that Costco gets for having better prices from vendors is that their deal with most vendors (not all) is that they cannot return the items to the vendor in exchange for a better price. When they can return the items they do so, but the majority of non-saleable returns go one of several salvage companies that they deal with, being sold to them at a fraction of what they originally paid for them. On top of this, some returns get scrapped, and to an even lesser extent get donated to charity.
Oct 25, 2017
14 posts
3 upvotes
Wait what's the benefit of doing so many costco returns?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
28110 posts
3757 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
paulwiser wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 5:57 am
Wait what's the benefit of doing so many costco returns?
Some people like to treat Costco like a library and borrow things.