• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2018 1:41 pm
Mar 1, 2007
166 posts
64 upvotes
GTA
hiddenthread wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 10:51 pm
See they are in membership business and don't make much or any at all on merchandise sales.
Find it hard to believe. Most items cost about the same as in, say, Walmart. Which, last time I checked, does not charge a membership fee and lives on retail markup. Plus, when Costco has an item on clearance, do you think they actually lose money?
Dec 22, 2007
358 posts
112 upvotes
Mississauga
bratman wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 6:02 pm
Sorry, I know I am replying to this after a year..... but I just saw it now.

This is false. Part of the deal that Costco gets for having better prices from vendors is that their deal with most vendors (not all) is that they cannot return the items to the vendor in exchange for a better price. When they can return the items they do so, but the majority of non-saleable returns go one of several salvage companies that they deal with, being sold to them at a fraction of what they originally paid for them. On top of this, some returns get scrapped, and to an even lesser extent get donated to charity.
Niagara falls has one of those places. The prices there are almost the same that Costco was selling stuff for at the time (Batteries come to mind) and some stuff is cheaper but not by too much. They also had Costco stuff that was years old being sold for more than it was worth.

People shouldn't try to analyze why Costco does the things they do unless you work for them. I did have limited viability at their Head office years ago and they are not in any panic mode about returns or anything like that I could tell.
Mar 17, 2009
161 posts
44 upvotes
Mississauga
kozm wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 8:14 am
Find it hard to believe. Most items cost about the same as in, say, Walmart. Which, last time I checked, does not charge a membership fee and lives on retail markup. Plus, when Costco has an item on clearance, do you think they actually lose money?
It is true. See point #9 on this link: https://www.neatorama.com/2013/09/09/10 ... ut-Costco/
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8586 posts
1882 upvotes
London
kozm wrote:
Find it hard to believe. Most items cost about the same as in, say, Walmart. Which, last time I checked, does not charge a membership fee and lives on retail markup.
You gotta compare the same items to make valid pricing comparisons.

And FWIW, have you ever heard of Sam's Club?
kozm wrote:
Plus, when Costco has an item on clearance, do you think they actually lose money?
Costco just wants to get rid of the last few items to make room for another pallet of a different sku.
Mar 1, 2007
166 posts
64 upvotes
GTA
Ottomaddox wrote:
Jul 15th, 2018 11:30 am
You gotta compare the same items to make valid pricing comparisons.
All right, there you go. The first thing I tried. Garmin 61 LMT-S is the same at Walmart (https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/garmin-dri ... 0197610861) and Costco (https://www.costco.ca/Garmin-Drive-61LM ... 51353.html). Are you somehow suggesting that Garmin sells its devices at a higher price to Costco than Walmart, if poor Costco relies only on membership fees to survive and Walmart allows anybody to purchase? Interestingly, you can even get in cheaper in-store at Costco as their web prices include shipping and are normally higher?

Looks like you guys are repeating the clever message designed by the Costco marketing suits without giving it a bit of thinking.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5433 posts
1190 upvotes
Whitby
Gee wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 6:32 am
Some people like to treat Costco like a library and borrow things.
Agree, items such as tents should get customers banned if used/returned unless the product is defective. People returning baby strollers when no longer needed after a years usage is just wrong.
Jun 6, 2016
156 posts
65 upvotes
Scarborough, ONT
kozm wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 7:33 am
All right, there you go. The first thing I tried. Garmin 61 LMT-S is the same at Walmart (https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/garmin-dri ... 0197610861) and Costco (https://www.costco.ca/Garmin-Drive-61LM ... 51353.html). Are you somehow suggesting that Garmin sells its devices at a higher price to Costco than Walmart, if poor Costco relies only on membership fees to survive and Walmart allows anybody to purchase? Interestingly, you can even get in cheaper in-store at Costco as their web prices include shipping and are normally higher?

Looks like you guys are repeating the clever message designed by the Costco marketing suits without giving it a bit of thinking.
Lol.
The prices on Costco.ca are no different to any other online retailer (Walmart, Bestbuy, etc) - anybody who actually shops at Costco knows that, and you do not need a membership to shop online.
The DEALS are in the warehouse...
Go ahead and show examples of the same product at Walmart for the same price as Costco warehouse - I doubt you'll find any.