• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 10:56 am
[OP]
Apr 26, 2010
166 posts
10 upvotes

Took possession this morning - broken kitchen island counter

Hey guys!

So I took pessession of my new house this morning. I went straight to the house right after and first thing I notice, a 20 cm crack in the kitchen island counter.

Everything else is fine but I'm pretty annoyed by this.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/ ... 1489094465
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/ ... 1489094467

I assume this cannot be repaired.

Would you contact the builder to have the entire kitchen island counter replaced? The house is brand new btw and we bought the house from the builder.

Will it fall under the new home warranty or do I have to rely on the builder's good faith?
40 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
3975 posts
1544 upvotes
Did you do a PDI and not see it?
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
3854 posts
188 upvotes
wow, please share the name of builder.
Most issues are resolved by builders without involvement by Tarion, however we will intervene if a builder fails to honour their warranty obligations.
so contact your builder customer care team asap then go from there
Feb 23, 2009
214 posts
177 upvotes
Oshawa
Ask the builder to replace the counter ASAP. He's going to have to anyway.
Did you do a PDI with the builder?
Everything else probably isn't fine and you will find other things to be fixed.
Sep 25, 2012
86 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
contact the builder and if they say no immediately tell tarion.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2010
166 posts
10 upvotes
fdl wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 4:32 pm
Did you do a PDI and not see it?
No I did not... I have never even met the builder in person in fact tbh.

Should I contact the builder or his agent requesting that we schedule an inspection even though we're post delivery?
Jan 15, 2017
350 posts
215 upvotes
If you are in ON, take some time to familiarize yourself with your home's warranty and its warranty process. www.tarion.com.

Any other province - same advice. Familiarize yourself with the warranty with the home.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2013
5646 posts
1684 upvotes
Toronto
thread # 5 for Malkavian... man oh man. on a role.
Feb 12, 2008
95 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
Malkavian wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 4:40 pm
No I did not... I have never even met the builder in person in fact tbh.

Should I contact the builder or his agent requesting that we schedule an inspection even though we're post delivery?
Why did you not do a PDI? If this obvious defect is present in your new home.... What else is there that you cant see... Get cracking on your 30 day list...(30 day warranty submission list)
[OP]
Apr 26, 2010
166 posts
10 upvotes
I had never heard of the PDI and no one ever mentionned it in the buying process. When we were at the lawyer office this morning to take possession of the house, the women representing the builder (his mother actually) made me sign 2 documents saying they had to be signed for the new house warranty to be valid. I realized later one of these document was the PDI.
Feb 12, 2008
95 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
Malkavian wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 10:46 pm
I had never heard of the PDI and no one ever mentionned it in the buying process. When we were at the lawyer office this morning to take possession of the house, the women representing the builder (his mother actually) made me sign 2 documents saying they had to be signed for the new house warranty to be valid. I realized later one of these document was the PDI.
Is this a local / small builder? Regardless I'd discuss this with Tarion.
Dec 13, 2016
540 posts
390 upvotes
His mom?

Maybe there is a bubble in Toronto.

Or..... MONTREAL?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3336 posts
1255 upvotes
Edmonton
Was he an actual "builder", or just the guy who built a house? Did you purchase from a company or an individual?

C
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2009
3975 posts
1544 upvotes
Malkavian wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 10:46 pm
So you signed the PDI without even doing the PDI.

Hopefully the builder fixes it in good faith but you are not doing yourself any favours by signing things before knowing what they are.

The problem with this type of "defect" is that the builder can claim you broke it yourself after taking possession. Same goes for scratches and superficial defects. This is why the PDI is important.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2010
166 posts
10 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Mar 10th, 2017 11:59 pm
Was he an actual "builder", or just the guy who built a house? Did you purchase from a company or an individual?

C
No it's an actual company. They're fairly big and have a good reputation.