• Mar 20th, 2017 10:56 am
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3788 posts
1644 upvotes
Edmonton
Malkavian wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 12:00 pm
There's no previous owner - we're buying directly from the builder (unless you consider them as the previous owner).
The builder is the previous owner.

C
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
3781 posts
1013 upvotes
Calgary
Malkavian wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 12:04 pm
The builder's agent basicly said I would be responsible for it because it's a model house and it's bought as-is.

I called Garantie GCR (Quebec equivalent of Tarion) and they assured me a PDI was mandatory even for a model house if I'm the first owner.

They told me to write and e-mail to the builder with Garantie GCR in CC asking to schedule an inspection.

So I will be sending this e-mail later today.
Time to name the builder at this point. They are trying to screw you.

This is the reason why organizations like Tarion and Garantie GCR are created. They sold you a home with defects. Unfortunately, as a consumer you need to make sure to read what you sign to protect yourself from situations like this. A builder does not have your best interests in mind, only their own.

On a side note, all your threads seems to be of you being unprepared and making mistakes, and consequences of these mistakes. Signing the PDI without actually doing a PDI is what is going to be used against you (did you mention this to Garantie GCR when you called them?) It's a 450K purchase for crying out loud, you were not buying a toaster.
Dec 13, 2011
892 posts
81 upvotes
yes. it is mandatory under the building act. 5 year warranty as i remembered it. There is a re course for sure.

Malkavian wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 12:04 pm
The builder's agent basicly said I would be responsible for it because it's a model house and it's bought as-is.

I called Garantie GCR (Quebec equivalent of Tarion) and they assured me a PDI was mandatory even for a model house if I'm the first owner.

They told me to write and e-mail to the builder with Garantie GCR in CC asking to schedule an inspection.

So I will be sending this e-mail later today.
--------------------------------
:evil:
Spam:irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.
Jul 16, 2006
306 posts
126 upvotes
LOL @ signing things without reading documents.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2010
177 posts
15 upvotes
I was contacted by the builder's agent to do the PDI this week.

I confirmed by e-mail putting Garantie GCR in CC so they know that they've agreed to do the PDI.

I have also contacted a professional building inspector who agreed to be there with me during the inspection.

I don't think the agent's builder will be expecting him.... should I inform him before hand about the building inspector or is it none of his business at this point?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3788 posts
1644 upvotes
Edmonton
Malkavian wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 12:56 pm
I was contacted by the builder's agent to do the PDI this week.

I confirmed by e-mail putting Garantie GCR in CC so they know that they've agreed to do the PDI.

I have also contacted a professional building inspector who agreed to be there with me during the inspection.

I don't think the agent's builder will be expecting him.... should I inform him before hand about the building inspector or is it none of his business at this point?
If you've taken possession, you could have your home inspector and the Swedish Bikini Swimsuit team there while the PDI is done. It's your house.

If yo do the above, please follow up with pictures...

C
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1352 posts
99 upvotes
I'm confused about one point, if you were handed two documents at the lawyer office and basically forced to sign them, didn't your lawyer ask to look at them first and explain to you what they were before letting you sign them? Kind of a crappy lawyer if he didn't.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2010
177 posts
15 upvotes
User Name wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 10:47 pm
I'm confused about one point, if you were handed two documents at the lawyer office and basically forced to sign them, didn't your lawyer ask to look at them first and explain to you what they were before letting you sign them? Kind of a crappy lawyer if he didn't.
The women who had us sign the document made sure the lawyer was away when we signed these documents. She initially wanted us to sign these documents while in the waiting room but to save time but the lawyer arrived right away. Then she waited for the lawyer to go to the printer to make us sign.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2010
177 posts
15 upvotes
Quick follow-up:

We made the PDI on Thursday with the builder's agent and my building inspector. I don't know if it's because I implicated Garantie GCR (Tarion equivalent in Quebec) but they accepted to repair/correct every little details my building inspector brought up.

Aside from the counter crack, there wasn't any serious problem in the house. There was some gravel and dirt in the garage sand trap and the pipes in there were missing a bend toward the ground. 1 sink hadn't been set with mono / silicon. There were leaves in window basement copings that could prevent water from evacuating in the spring. 2 door spring systems weren't properly adjusted so they would fully close the door by themselves (doors between garage and house). 2 faucet weights weren't attached at the proper spot on the pipe causing the flexible pipe to bend and hinder the flow of water. The humidity % was at 37% which is apparently too dry and not good for a new house. We set the target to 50% but I went back yesterday and it was still at 38% so I will contact the building inspector to know what I should do to help the humidity level increase. Maybe stop the air exchanger altogether?

BTW, the counter crack grew from 20cm to 50cm from last time I went to the house. However, the agent assured me it would be taken cared of so all is good.

Otherwise, the building inspector was very impressed but the high level of finish and obvious conscientious attitude of the builder's worker. He was also surprised by the materials used in many place in the house.
So in the end it seems everything worked out great! :)
May 6, 2015
545 posts
102 upvotes
Nice to hear it all worked. It normally does once you bring in the "big guns" of Tarion/Garantie GCR
Jul 16, 2006
306 posts
126 upvotes
Malkavian wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 9:40 am
Quick follow-up:

We made the PDI on Thursday with the builder's agent and my building inspector. I don't know if it's because I implicated Garantie GCR (Tarion equivalent in Quebec) but they accepted to repair/correct every little details my building inspector brought up.

Aside from the counter crack, there wasn't any serious problem in the house. There was some gravel and dirt in the garage sand trap and the pipes in there were missing a bend toward the ground. 1 sink hadn't been set with mono / silicon. There were leaves in window basement copings that could prevent water from evacuating in the spring. 2 door spring systems weren't properly adjusted so they would fully close the door by themselves (doors between garage and house). 2 faucet weights weren't attached at the proper spot on the pipe causing the flexible pipe to bend and hinder the flow of water. The humidity % was at 37% which is apparently too dry and not good for a new house. We set the target to 50% but I went back yesterday and it was still at 38% so I will contact the building inspector to know what I should do to help the humidity level increase. Maybe stop the air exchanger altogether?

BTW, the counter crack grew from 20cm to 50cm from last time I went to the house. However, the agent assured me it would be taken cared of so all is good.

Otherwise, the building inspector was very impressed but the high level of finish and obvious conscientious attitude of the builder's worker. He was also surprised by the materials used in many place in the house.
So in the end it seems everything worked out great! :)
Glad it worked out for you.

A valuable lesson is learnt here.