• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2010 10:59 am
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC

ToolBoxes at Costco..

I noticed in store Costco now has the Homak toolboxes in store (at least in Montreal area)... However on thier web site, they have the SPG International ones...

I'd prefer to pick one up locally, and I prefer the SPG units, but wondering if any of the costco warehouses carry them physically in store, or are they online only ?
COSTCO Link to SPG 42" box

[IMG]http://content.costco.ca/Images/Content ... 36851c.jpg[/IMG]

I used to like the Torin boxes they had about 2 years ago.. They looked pretty solid.. but I they went out of stock before I bought one, and the floor model at my local costco was damaged..
[IMG]http://content.costco.ca/Images/Content ... 55724c.jpg[/IMG]

I was not crazy about the NXA steel ones they had for a while, since I prefer a powder coat finish. And the Homak ones they have in warehouse now, do not look too bad, but they feel a little flimsy for some reason.. The SPG looks nicer, and I prefer the layout, but would prefer to see it in store before buying... SPG makes the boxes for Craftsman in Canada, and has a pretty good reputation.. OK, these are thier Value series, but they should still be pretty decent for home use.

Wondering if Anyone has seen the SPG units in warehouse...?

Thanks in advance :)
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I guess noone has seen these in any warehouse ? :(

Any comments on the Homak 41" that is in store ?

Thnx
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
Emporium wrote: I guess noone has seen these in any warehouse ? :(

Any comments on the Homak 41" that is in store ?

Thnx

The item number should be online, try calling your local store and asking them to check stock on the item number. If they say they don't have any ask if it shows if any other local stores have stock, it comes up on their system too..
Dec 9, 2008
93 posts
5 upvotes
You read my mind, I am trying to decide between the two myself. I went to the Ajax, Ontario location today and they had two black Homak ones left for $599. The SPG ones have gone on sale online for $834. I'd prefer to buy a Canadian product but $234 is a big price difference. Anyone have any insight?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
shewa wrote: You read my mind, I am trying to decide between the two myself. I went to the Ajax, Ontario location today and they had two black Homak ones left for $599. The SPG ones have gone on sale online for $834. I'd prefer to buy a Canadian product but $234 is a big price difference. Anyone have any insight?

Thanks for pointing out the price drop, makes it even more tempting... $234 may seem like a big price difference, but I don't mind paying a little extra for a better box. I checked out the HOMAK at my local costco, and I was NOT too impesssed with the sliders.. For ball bearing sliders, they felt like they would not last too long when loaded up with some weight.

On the SPG, I also like the way the top opens. Makes it quite handy for some of the bigger items, which would not fit in the drawers normally..

I'll probably print out the SPG one, and check with my local warehouse and see if any of the warehouses in the area would have any in stock.. Otherwise, I may just order it.. With the discount, and shipping included, it doesn't seem so bad. Bright Orange ;) ? Hmmm.....
Dec 9, 2008
93 posts
5 upvotes
You've convinced me. SPG box ordered in red. To quote a bumper sticker "Made in Canada matters "
Nov 14, 2010
6 posts
5 upvotes
Montreal
I've been considering the same boxes, the Homak vs the SPG 42. I've also found that Sears.ca has nearly the same SPG box branded as a Craftsman (for $999) (see link below)
http://www.sears.ca/product/craftsman-m ... R01348RASE

Maybe you can find it at a local Sears to check it out. From what I can tell the Homak and SPG are roughly the same quality (SPG 42 = 300lbs weight vs Homak's 42 combined at 343lbs probably they are the same gauge steel, maybe SPG's is smaller guage). THe Homak box being sole as Professional series can be found by searching for the 42" SE Series boxes (so its an SE in Professional badges), it has a poor rating on Amazon (lock didn't work, and wheels a pain to install), at least the wheels come pre-installed on the one at Costco. I check out the old Torin boxes they once had at Costco, they were much better (as evident from the combined weight of over 500lbs), I sure wich they would get them back at Costco.

One point I've noticed is the drawer space on the Homak is much greater than the SPG, they both stand at about the same height, but the 9.5 inch canopy on the SPG means we loose about 7 inches of drawer space. Homak has 19 drawers, SPG has 20. Total drawer height (added) is 32" +9.5" Canopy for the SPG vs 40" +2.5 top lid for the Homak), the differnece is due to the SPG having alot of rows of 2" drawers (5), 3 rows of 3" drawers, and 4 rows of 4" drawers, the Homak has 3 rows of 2.6" drawers, 3 rows of 3" drawers and 1 row of 5", and 3 rows of 6" drawers. I'm leaning toward the Homak, since the SPG seems like it mught be a bit tight on drawer space. Also, SPG is not made in Canada (at least entirely), its owned by a chinese company (geelong sales) and may be assembling the units from mostly chinese parts. "Made in Canada using domestic and imported components" is on sears website for the SPG made Craftsman box.

Has anyone seen the equivalent Sears bos
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4278 posts
5209 upvotes
Montreal, QC
This is the response I got when I emailed costco to see if they had the SPG box in any of thier warehouses:

[QUOTE]"In response to your email, please be advised that our online inventory is considered an extension to our warehouse product inventory. Costco will try not to duplicate online products with warehouse products. Therefore, you will not find many warehouse items such as food, beverages, etc. on our Website.

To view items for sale online, please visit our web site at www.costco.ca. Our Website is real-time and updated frequently. If the item you're looking for is not found on Costco.ca, it is either not available online or it is currently out of stock. When the item is available for purchase, it will appear on the site."
[/QUOTE]Anyhow, I also had noticed the Sears one. And have been meaning to drop by and check it out after work one day, but haven't had the chance... I wish they still had the Torin boxes, there would be no choice to make :)

SPG has been around for many years, and I know thier Pro series of boxes are quite solid (at least pre-2007, they were made locally). Unfortunately the one sears and costco have, are from the Value line. Since 2007, they joined the Chinese company (as mentioned), I am sure a lot of the stuff gets fabbed overeas, and just assembled locally now.

Maybe I'll just hold off and wait to see what the next line of boxes Costco will bring...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)