Investing

Top 10 Dividend picks in TSX and US markets?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2019 12:27 pm
[OP]
Mar 6, 2010
148 posts
34 upvotes
Brampton

Top 10 Dividend picks in TSX and US markets?

I have relied on equities and ETFs so far to make some extra money. I am interested in dividend stocks but never mustered courage to buy as stocks seemed all time high. Now that markets are in serious turmoil, I think this could be excellent chance to start the process.
With that said, what would be your top 10 divi stocks/ETFs from Canadian and US markets, considering today's prices, 10 years time span and dis-regarding any US with holding tax issues?
PS: I am considering CM, BMO, TD, ENB, BCE on TSX.
12 replies
Aug 1, 2014
190 posts
41 upvotes
ZEB.TO if you want to hold top 5 Canadian banks in an ETF. It pays monthly dividend.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
6614 posts
5527 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Right now I’m using the VIG etf in the US for divvy exposure. Just a quick way to get in the US market with exposure to:

The NASDAQ US Dividend Achievers Select Index is derived from the NASDAQ US Broad Dividend Achievers Index.
Includes U.S. common stocks that have a history of increasing dividends for at least ten consecutive years.
Excludes stocks that might have low potential for increasing dividends.
Excludes REITs, which generally do not benefit from currently favorable tax rates on qualified dividends.

Expense ratio of 0.08%
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1373 posts
350 upvotes
Toronto
Here is what I invest in:
RNW, IPL, RY, TD, BNS, BCE, TRP, REI.UN, POW, FN, ENB

On the US side, I am eyeing in my RRSP, but will wait for the markets to drop:
GLPX, BX, BPY, BEP, BAM, OKE, MO, PM, MMP, MGP, LVS, XOM
Jan 20, 2017
212 posts
28 upvotes
I am a bit confused about ETFs. When it comes to stocks one can buy 10, 30 or 100 stocks and make some money when stock goes up by $3-4 but when it comes to ETFs I think one has to buy a much larger quantity.
What is the min qty you buy when it comes to ETFs?
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3668 posts
1451 upvotes
luking wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 1:44 pm
I have relied on equities and ETFs so far to make some extra money. I am interested in dividend stocks but never mustered courage to buy as stocks seemed all time high. Now that markets are in serious turmoil, I think this could be excellent chance to start the process.
With that said, what would be your top 10 divi stocks/ETFs from Canadian and US markets, considering today's prices, 10 years time span and dis-regarding any US with holding tax issues?
PS: I am considering CM, BMO, TD, ENB, BCE on TSX.
You only have Canadian stocks listed in three sectors. Up to you, but I prefer to be a bit more diversified across seven sectors. Whichever sector is lagging according to my spreadsheet gets the fresh investment cash from any savings and dividends. No favorites. I just have a list of Canadian equites that have grown their dividends most years and add to them over the years. I also check the price ratios before purchase to make sure my choice at the time isn't too expensive.

My income from Canadian dividends keeps going up every year, whatever the TSX has done in performance.

I just buy American and International companies in an index fund or ETF.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2013
1930 posts
209 upvotes
Sidney
jaguaar wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 5:52 am
I am a bit confused about ETFs. When it comes to stocks one can buy 10, 30 or 100 stocks and make some money when stock goes up by $3-4 but when it comes to ETFs I think one has to buy a much larger quantity.
What is the min qty you buy when it comes to ETFs?
ETF's can be bought or sold exactly like stocks. You can buy a single one, or you can buy ten thousand.

ETF's are inherently less volatile because they hold a basket of stocks within a given sector(s).
[OP]
Mar 6, 2010
148 posts
34 upvotes
Brampton
The following US stocks are quite popular in Dividend category
General Mills, Inc.(NYSE:GIS), Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE:XOM), CVS, PEP, SBUX, AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7594 posts
4525 upvotes
luking wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 10:04 am
The following US stocks are quite popular in Dividend category
General Mills, Inc.(NYSE:GIS), Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE:XOM), CVS, PEP, SBUX, AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T)
AT&T has a thirsty 7% yield so i did bite there (im in my mid 30s so ill let it grow).

Lot of the classic food names like General Mills and Kraft Heinz have been crushed this year... much of it because of new food trends that they cant keep up with. Both have thirsty yields but you wonder can they innovate new products people want to eat? I feel both companies would be classic Buffett purchases, traditionally the kind of companies he likes...
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
3668 posts
1451 upvotes
One of my most important mentor's, Edmund Faltermayer, was buying equities like AT&T, General Mills, Heinz and Exxon, in the late 70's and into the 1990's. There's really nothing new under the sun.
Nov 21, 2015
180 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
Sanyo wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 10:13 am
AT&T has a thirsty 7% yield so i did bite there (im in my mid 30s so ill let it grow).

Lot of the classic food names like General Mills and Kraft Heinz have been crushed this year... much of it because of new food trends that they cant keep up with. Both have thirsty yields but you wonder can they innovate new products people want to eat? I feel both companies would be classic Buffett purchases, traditionally the kind of companies he likes...
I would be very very cautious with AT & T now...Pay close attention next 2 weeks. Put a stop loss to it and thank me later!
Mar 4, 2008
394 posts
59 upvotes
BC
Thanks for this thread. Specifically came on right now to look for the same info. Got the same idea as CAD & US stocks that have been mentioned.