Automotive

Top 10 most reliable car after 320000km (200k miles) according to Consumer Reports

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2015 7:33 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4931 posts
4064 upvotes
Montreal
chimaican wrote:
Jun 9th, 2015 5:14 pm
Funny you should mention that! My father still has his 1992 Ford Astrovan and it's still going strong. :D
I would tell your father to keep it for a museum piece because if he does indeed have a 1992 Ford Astrovan, it is the only one in existence.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
7597 posts
3782 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
ottofly wrote:
Jun 9th, 2015 5:28 pm
I would tell your father to keep it for a museum piece because if he does indeed have a 1992 Ford Astrovan, it is the only one in existence.
Actually, I'm not sure now that I think about it. It's either a '91/92/93... Either way, it's still going strong. The AT is getting a bit rough but that's because he doesn't really want to fix it anymore.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
20252 posts
136962 upvotes
GTA
chimaican wrote:
Jun 9th, 2015 5:47 pm
Actually, I'm not sure now that I think about it. It's either a '91/92/93... Either way, it's still going strong. The AT is getting a bit rough but that's because he doesn't really want to fix it anymore.
I think you missed that one - he was questioning it not because of the year, but because Chevrolet = Astro, and Ford = Aerostar...
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10100 posts
3876 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
AudiDude wrote:
Jun 9th, 2015 9:32 am
Where is the Astro van? People still use them to this day and they were discontinued a long while ago. Reliable as hell and cheap to fix.
Two things common issues with the Astro/Safari vans:

1. The OEM front sway breaks. GM in all of their wisdom sold them with a cheaper hollow sway bar. I replaced my brother's with a solid one.
2. The power assisted brakes are driven by the vacuum of the power steering pump. If there is a weak pump, you could (and do) loose power assisted brakes when you turn. Happened to my brother as well.

Both issues are well documented on various Safari/Astro van forums.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10100 posts
3876 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
gh05t wrote:
Jun 9th, 2015 12:05 pm
I'm surprised of Prius with such a small engine and failure of battery etc.
The Prius has one important thing going for it... it's the preferred car for a lot of taxi fleets (especially here in Vancouver). As such, many, many, many kilometers are rolled up on them.
Mar 15, 2008
269 posts
32 upvotes
I think the consumer reports rating on the Prius is a little skewed. All survey respondants for Consumer reports are Americans. Most Prius owners in the US are in California where it is nice and warm and never snows. Cars last longer there because of the nice weather. Less problems dealing with rust or damage due to potholes.
Dec 24, 2009
652 posts
269 upvotes
Had an e36 328i to over 310k when I sold it, was still tight..
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
294 upvotes
Midland
I have a 2012 Hyundai Elantra with about 186,000 km on it now.
I plan to keep it for quite a while - over 400,000 km and then get another car.
Hope it lasts. It's been an excellent car so far. :)
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
5599 posts
1358 upvotes
GTA
Siward wrote:
Jun 10th, 2015 8:56 am
I think the consumer reports rating on the Prius is a little skewed. All survey respondants for Consumer reports are Americans. Most Prius owners in the US are in California where it is nice and warm and never snows. Cars last longer there because of the nice weather. Less problems dealing with rust or damage due to potholes.
Prius is at the top of the reliability surveys in other regions as well (EU, Australia, Canada, etc.).
Jan 10, 2011
361 posts
143 upvotes
I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with this list, but I will say that this is the most unscientific list I've ever seen. Here are 10 cars that are the best at being good for a long time. Why? No reason given. Which particular year of particular model? None given. Just trust us because we are Consumer Reports, and if we say its good, its good.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20958 posts
10303 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I had like 220k km on my Land Rover discovery when I sold it. I assume it went to well over 300k. Why is it not on the list?
Jul 24, 2009
620 posts
426 upvotes
kitchener
Chep wrote:
Jun 10th, 2015 3:00 pm
I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with this list, but I will say that this is the most unscientific list I've ever seen. Here are 10 cars that are the best at being good for a long time. Why? No reason given. Which particular year of particular model? None given. Just trust us because we are Consumer Reports, and if we say its good, its good.
Very true...years of manufacture are important, because as the manufacturers make adjustments or change suppliers there could be a change that can make a vehicle go from super reliable to complete POS and vice-versa....
On the side note, my 92 Corolla had over 650 000, when it was rear ended by a pickup truck and it still ran like new car up to that point.
My current designated beater is a 96 Toyota Tercel with over 445 000 km on the clock and never broke down once...aside from some broken plastic trim and faded paint, it still drives like the day it left the showroom floor averaging 5.5 liters per 100km on highway and about 6.5 in the city.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5250 posts
1127 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
gh05t wrote:
Jun 9th, 2015 12:18 pm
I wonder if they are also making them less reliable too, to force people to buy a new car sooner.

Mercedes used to be quite solid up until the late 90's early 2000's when relaiblity dropped sharply.
Probably, as the buyers now are chasing little dumb gimmicks and gadgets rather than reliability. More things to break.
Consultant
- Oilfield Services Operations & Safety - Digital Marketing - Finance - Accounting -
Serving Western Canada since 2013

To network, or for my website and personal blog, shoot me a message.
Jul 24, 2009
620 posts
426 upvotes
kitchener
FirstGear wrote:
Jun 10th, 2015 11:22 pm
Probably, as the buyers now are chasing little dumb gimmicks and gadgets rather than reliability. More things to break.
Agreed...a good example of a dumb gimmick would be the driver's door that closes by itself on my buddy's Mercedes.
Sure looks cool, but I would hate to see the repair bill when it breaks....there's nothing wrong with closing the door the old fashioned way.
Speaking of Mercedes a good friend of mine used to work in their part department for 10 years and he would experience this drop in reliability first hand, as there was a common theme of problems and failures starting to develop after the late 90's and early 2000's...but I digress.
These days, most manufacturers won't even offer their vehicles without power windows even on their most basic models anymore.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2003 posts
546 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Ish, spending 320k kms in any of those *****boxes would be torture.