Automotive

Top 10 most reliable car after 320000km (200k miles) according to Consumer Reports

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2015 7:33 pm
Tags:
None
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
412 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote:
Jun 9th, 2015 8:12 am
they tested Honda & Toyota ONLY ? :lol:
Out of that list I can only confirm the Civic and the Corolla being able to easily glide over 300,000k.

But that list is biased because from experience I know lots of Ford cars and Chevys can also glide through that. For examble the Sunfire and almost all Ford pick-up trucks.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1296 posts
218 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Car reliability also depends on the owner and how they drive and maintain the vehicle. Do you think a Prius owner is going to run the crap out of the car? The probably idle around and get the vehicle serviced every three months.
Jul 6, 2012
199 posts
80 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I'm in the market for a cheap car from the late 90s. Any comment on whether I have a better shot in terms of reliability from a Toyota Corolla or a Toyota Tercel?
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough
robertz wrote:
Jun 11th, 2015 7:16 am
Car reliability also depends on the owner and how they drive and maintain the vehicle. Do you think a Prius owner is going to run the crap out of the car? The probably idle around and get the vehicle serviced every three months.
Prius's don't idle.

+++++++++++++++

[IMG]https://mightyredpen.files.wordpress.co ... -over1.gif[/IMG]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16332 posts
3404 upvotes
Toronto
The reliability gets reflected in the resale values. I was quite pleasantly surprised when my insurance company wrote me a ~$9000 cheque (~$8000 + tax) for my totalled 2004 Prius (Package B) with 160000 km on it, a few months ago. Yes, $9000 for a boring 11 year-old family car. It was totalled when some possibly drugged out guy rear-ended me at an intersection. (He seemed like he was going full city speeds, and I was stopped.)
robertz wrote:
Jun 11th, 2015 7:16 am
There may be some truth to that, but then again even taxi drivers think the Prius is extremely reliable.

The reason I say there may be some truth to that though is because in general Prius insurance is somewhat cheaper. I believe the owners tend to be older and safer drivers.
whistlepig wrote:
Jun 11th, 2015 8:02 am
Prius's don't idle.
Actually, they do, but much less than conventional cars. The idling is for stuff like running the cabin heater in the winter.
AtlsNBP wrote:
Jun 9th, 2015 4:40 pm
This list is eery similar to the "Most Stolen".
The Prius is the least stolen. However, in recent years in the southern US, there has been a rise in Prius Plug-in smash-and-grabs for the battery.
Mar 17, 2014
14 posts
Im suprised no one mentioned volkswagen TDI those diesel engines can go way over 400,000km without any issues. and you can drive 1000km to a tank.
Apr 2, 2008
36 posts
5 upvotes
james5354 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2015 12:31 pm
Im suprised no one mentioned volkswagen TDI those diesel engines can go way over 400,000km without any issues. and you can drive 1000km to a tank.
That is if you haven't sold a kidney for repairs and maintenance on all the other stuff...
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2013
992 posts
292 upvotes
james5354 wrote:
Toyota's reliability far exceeds that of VW even in terms of a diesel

Corolla is as fuel-efficient as VW Jetta TDI

TDI high pressure common rail pump failures are very costly to fix, Bad carbon build up problems, Throttle body cleaning/problems, Induction cleaning that includes manifold every 30K miles or something, etc ...

Diesel engines are more expensive to maintain in terms of cost of parts. Diesel fuel costs more than gasoline.

Juice is not worth the squeeze, IMO. I'd stick to Corolla for great mileage, much better reliability and much less maintenance
Mar 17, 2014
14 posts
Spyd3r, you are probably right, I have owned a volkswagen gti with 330k before I sold it, I was fortunate enough to not have many problems with it, mostly wear and tear stuff, I now drive a toyota 4runner and a toyota camry, and have no issues with them at all, but I would never be caught dead driving a corolla LOL....who wants to be labelled as the corolla driver...hahaha.
Penalty Box
Nov 25, 2013
992 posts
292 upvotes
james5354 wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 10:42 pm
Spyd3r, you are probably right, I have owned a volkswagen gti with 330k before I sold it, I was fortunate enough to not have many problems with it, mostly wear and tear stuff, I now drive a toyota 4runner and a toyota camry, and have no issues with them at all, but I would never be caught dead driving a corolla LOL....who wants to be labelled as the corolla driver...hahaha.
lolz

A lot of people wants to drive a Corolla. It is one of the world's best selling nameplate. Over 40 million Corolla's has been sold worldwide since 1966.

I drive a 2014 Corolla. I love its new styling, CVT is awesome, fuel-efficient as diesel but with a cheaper initial price, seats are comfortable. Driving a Corolla feels like you're driving a small luxury car. Noise, Vibration and Harshness is amazingly well controlled in Corolla. Cabin is best in class quiet. Ride is smooth and comfortable. Wind and road noise is minimum even when driving on highway speeds. My only complaint is less power but overall I liked it more than Honda Civic and Mazda 3.
May 29, 2007
450 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
Spyd3r wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 11:10 pm
lolz

A lot of people wants to drive a Corolla. It is one of the world's best selling nameplate. Over 40 million Corolla's has been sold worldwide since 1966.

I drive a 2014 Corolla. I love its new styling, CVT is awesome, fuel-efficient as diesel but with a cheaper initial price, seats are comfortable. Driving a Corolla feels like you're driving a small luxury car. Noise, Vibration and Harshness is amazingly well controlled in Corolla. Cabin is best in class quiet. Ride is smooth and comfortable. Wind and road noise is minimum even when driving on highway speeds. My only complaint is less power but overall I liked it more than Honda Civic and Mazda 3.
Do you sell these cars for a living or just on RFD?
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2012
1105 posts
46 upvotes
Sudbury
vkizzle wrote:
Jun 9th, 2015 9:27 am
However bias the study was...I'm sure it's not based off one car only.LOL
How many other Plymouth Horizons stayed on the road as long as yours? :razz:

For anyone who understands mechanics, the Prius makes sense. (Hint: planetary gears do not change direction.)
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
412 upvotes
Toronto
james5354 wrote:
Yeah and the parts cost double and you have to find a diesel mechanic and you wil pay 33% extra for fuel and you have to spend over 30 mins or drive another 50 km to find a gas station that has diesel for sale. Did I mentioned diesels are slow too and weak-sauce for winter starting?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
6405 posts
5138 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Spyd3r wrote:
Jun 12th, 2015 11:10 pm
Driving a Corolla feels like you're driving a small luxury car..
"feels like" or "is"... Hence reworded as:

Driving a Corolla is driving a small luxury car.

As such most are jealous of this. I'll admit I am.