Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6853 posts
686 upvotes
Toronto
hagbard wrote:
Jun 20th, 2016 6:52 pm
What "type" is that? ...
According to Wikipedia: "Top Gear is a British television series about motor vehicles, primarily cars, and the most widely watched factual television programme in the world. It began in 1977 as a conventional motoring magazine programme, but over time, and especially since a relaunch in 2002, it has developed a quirky, humorous and sometimes controversial style."
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2009
2607 posts
313 upvotes
other than chris harris, this has been crap

sabine looks like a jersey shore reject now
evans is too queer to watch

mfw
Temp. Banned
Dec 7, 2012
32103 posts
8353 upvotes
GTHA
Jimbobs wrote:
Jun 20th, 2016 12:38 pm
Just watched Episode 4 and I think it's now as good as the old version. Sure the numbers may be down but there could be lots of reasons for that: Queen's birthday, weather, Brexit, time of year, etc.

But what's not to like with a review of the Tesla Model X and the Aston Martin Vulcan? And, for humour, a race to Venice.
Read this review and rewatch episode 4.

Top Gear's troubles in episode four are out of character
It failed on a more basic level than we've seen all season.

"After last week's success, I expected a little hangover for Top Gear. But following a big step forward, episode four falls too many steps back with its three main segments. The first feature should have been exciting, but isn't. The second one could have been innovative and interesting, but it's artificial. And the third? Well, we'll talk about its problems."
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2086 posts
460 upvotes
Chris Evans reminds me of Chuckie from Rugrats lol

I like Sabine Schmitz but her laughs during the last challenge seemed too fake
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6853 posts
686 upvotes
Toronto
I watched this back (aging myself now!) when Noel Edmonds was the presenter so I'm sticking with it. On reflection, the Clarkson, Hammond and May episodes were not uniformly "great" and there were very many groaner segments. It's going to take this new team a while to gel. How long that while is, I don't know but, as I said, I'm going to stick with it - even with all the piracy notices I'm getting :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
6045 posts
4399 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Nyaxite wrote:
Jun 26th, 2016 9:45 am
Looks like Mr. Evans isn't exactly the best to work with either:

"Matt LeBlanc is allegedly planning to quit Top Gear if his co-host Chris Evans is not removed from the team first, sources have claimed."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06 ... ris-evans/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... stays.html
No surprise. This attitude is like that of a millennial hipster. His twitter account is all you need to see.

BBC will just be hypocrites if they allow him to remain after axing Clarkson for being a jerk.

People actually like Matt LeBlanc so they need someone he can work with. So given it's the BBC they will fire Matt and promote Evans to the sole presenter.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1154 posts
670 upvotes
Waterloo
cartfan123 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2016 10:01 am
No surprise. This attitude is like that of a millennial hipster. His twitter account is all you need to see.

BBC will just be hypocrites if they allow him to remain after axing Clarkson for being a jerk.

People actually like Matt LeBlanc so they need someone he can work with. So given it's the BBC they will fire Matt and promote Evans to the sole presenter.
altho I agree that Leblanc is much better and loved by the audience, threatening with a "him or me" ultimatum is never a good idea. i really hope he didn't actually say it and it is just a rumor.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6853 posts
686 upvotes
Toronto
Episode 5 is a definite step in the right direction for this series. Both the Rolls Royce segments were pretty good. The Jag "race" had much more potential I felt but bringing in the test driver was a good move. Viewership was up as well. Good advertising for the west of Ireland (not West Ireland as LeBlanc said) as well.

As for the rumours, isn't that a given when there are multiple "actors" in showbiz?
Temp. Banned
Dec 7, 2012
32103 posts
8353 upvotes
GTHA
some1not wrote:
Jun 20th, 2016 5:52 pm
I put this show on the same level as Top Gear US now. Only because I skip the celeb guest segment cause it just suck, especially the rally X lap of crap. Hmmm...hate to say it, but maybe Top Gear US is a bit better than the original!
"Top Gear USA, the American spinoff of BBC/BBC America’s flagship motoring show, has run out of gas on History and is now seeking a new home."
http://deadline.com/2016/06/top-gear-us ... 201780623/
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
1718 posts
785 upvotes
Ottawa
mark_in_2k wrote:
Jul 4th, 2016 10:41 am
Chris Evans stepping down from Top Gear

He tweeted: "Stepping down from Top Gear. Gave it my best shot but sometimes that's not enough."

Kind of shocked, but I think it's the best thing for the show.
Not shocked at all after all the negative feedback he's received from the first episode. It also doesn't help that LeBlanc publicly stated that he wants Evans off the show.

IMHO, the show should just keep LeBlanc, Harris, and Reids. The rests are pretty much dead weight. Sabine is a great driver, but she doesn't have very good presenter characteristics, and the other old guy who I never bother to remember his name - I don't even know why he's even on the show to begin with...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6853 posts
686 upvotes
Toronto
mark_in_2k wrote:
Jul 4th, 2016 10:41 am
Chris Evans stepping down from Top Gear

He tweeted: "Stepping down from Top Gear. Gave it my best shot but sometimes that's not enough."

Kind of shocked, but I think it's the best thing for the show.
I'm disappointed. Sure, he wasn't great in the first episode in the series but got better as the series went on. His segment on the rebuilt British sportscars in the last episode (last night) was pretty good.