Top MBA - Bloated Ego?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2019 5:02 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 10, 2019
7 posts

Top MBA - Bloated Ego?

Do you receive messages on Linkedin from MBA Candidates asking you for a referral or a job or perspective? Do you guys reply to them? I've been getting a few messages lately and some of them don't really know how to network? I'm a Commercial Banker and I live in a low city so I do not understand this whole Rotman or other top MBA school ego thing. When I was looking for a school to do my MBA, I decided not to drown myself into debt so I went to a non-target school where I graduated debt-free and got a job in a Bank right after school. Because I live in a low-cost city, I managed to saved $25k in two years so I have no regrets. I’m 32 years old so maybe for someone else I’m not doing great at my age but I’m perfectly fine with their judgment. In this one instance, this Indian guy from Rotman messaged me asking for perspective and I gladly shared. But then he started telling me he deserves better than Commercial Banking because he has work experience from top firms in India. I mean, I’m from India and I know what kind of work experience are you talking about? Consulting experience at Deloitte in India.
He asked me If I could connect him who can help him to get into Investment Banking or Private Equity. Why should I? First, there were spelling and grammatical errors in his messages which is a big red flag. Second, besides his Indian work experience, he didn’t really have anything significant on his profile to justify shitting on other professions. I will recommend no one like that in my entire career for any job. You should get off your high horse. This is not India. I have no problem if you are going to a top school and paying $150k for your MBA. I wish you good luck but with this ego you are not getting anywhere. And, your Indian experience doesn’t count in Canada. If you haven’t learned that in your class then Canadians will teach you as soon as you enter the job market.
23 replies
Mar 17, 2010
192 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
How do you know somebody has an MBA?
Don't worry, they'll tell you.

True in all of the cases in the OP.
Jan 8, 2010
136 posts
58 upvotes
A Canadian MBA degree is dime a dozen. I don't put much stock in people pursuing them unless it's Ivey. Though if you want the extra year for an internship/co-op then Rotman, Queen's, and McGill are good too. It sounds like you're ranting about people reaching out to you for advice, references, etc., but if you do not like to engage them, then why not simply ignore? If you have a LinkedIn profile and are a career professional, it is expected that people will reach out to you to connect. You may feel offended that people are not giving your career choice as much weight as those in private equity and IB, but I know people with undergrad degrees from schools like Ryerson doing what you do. It's not very difficult getting into a major 5 bank for commercial banking and you don't need an MBA for it. So you do need to relax your pride for a minute and consider this aspect too.

It's a shame that you're discrediting the experience from your home country in such a manner. I'm Canadian born and raised here, and I find your disparaging remarks troubling. You should value the experiences you've gained, as most of the work and skills are transferable anyways. What separates Indian experience from Canadian experience other than semantics and language/cultural barriers? Foreign experience and credentials are not given a lot of weight here simply because it is an unknown variable. I have no idea what the best universities in India or China are, what the education system is like there, and the screening process to get into top companies. And, frankly, I don't have the time or patience to research it either. I'd rather just go with the Ivey grad with Canadian experience because that can be measured. This doesn't mean that the Indian experience means nothing at all; it just means that I don't know how to measure it.

However, I do agree that this sense of entitlement will not get these people very far, as they have to hustle all over again from the bottom (unless they have connections).
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
1807 posts
647 upvotes
As someone without an MBA, what do you truly get from it?

Is it mainly for networking, and for companies to boast your credential?

I see a lot of people going to these Ivey schools and spending a ton, but on the knowledge aspect I want to know if it’s worth it?
Sep 28, 2013
526 posts
183 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 1:04 pm

I see a lot of people going to these Ivey schools and spending a ton, but on the knowledge aspect I want to know if it’s worth it?
I learned a ton at my MBA but that said, if it didn't open up doors to the on-campus recruiting program, I would never have gone. An MBA is a career accelerant, or at least it should be. If you're going to a top MBA and ending up in commercial banking, it's because you're lacking in one way or the other - in the case of the guy referenced in the OP, it's probably social skills.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2019
7 posts
angrybanker wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 3:30 pm
I learned a ton at my MBA but that said, if it didn't open up doors to the on-campus recruiting program, I would never have gone. An MBA is a career accelerant, or at least it should be. If you're going to a top MBA and ending up in commercial banking, it's because you're lacking in one way or the other - in the case of the guy referenced in the OP, it's probably social skills.
Not everyone secures those prestigious jobs that you are referring here and it is actually very true for people who have no Canadian work-experience and come from Asian background. Have you been to front office? Scene is very difference then back office and middle office. Many of these top MBA graduates who couldn't find their dream jobs now are working in areas where their MBA brings no value. Tough pill to swallow. Again, I have no problem if you have 100k to dish out for prestige but trust me if you shit on other people you are not getting anywhere.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1858 posts
916 upvotes
I don't understand the point of this thread. Who are you trying to "educate" about MBA decorum?

I personally don't hold much stock in Canadian MBAs (can't speak for any other countries) - his is because many MBA programs let unqualified people in just so they can rake in more revenue who don't deserve to be admitted, let alone hold the credentials...if anything they have devalued it. An academic Masters in my view, definitely holds more value because you have to work HARD at it - it's a rigourous process that you can't fake or buy your way through.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2019
7 posts
angrybanker wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 3:30 pm
I didn't go to a top MBA but thank you for judging me for my social skills. I should probably learn from those top MBA grads in risk management who are afraid to speak over the phone.
Dec 11, 2013
340 posts
202 upvotes
Toronto
Streetdancer wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 5:20 pm
I didn't go to a top MBA but thank you for judging me for my social skills. I should probably learn from those top MBA grads in risk management who are afraid to speak over the phone.
You joined a board and in your first ever post insulted the credentials and background of quite a few people on here.

This feels like either a rant or a troll post. If it's not, you need to re-state the exact feedback you're looking for here.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1629 posts
1183 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
MyNameWasTaken wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 1:04 pm

According to my former roommate who did his MBA at Berkeley, it is ALL about the networking. Also in his particular case, he wanted to move to a different department in his company, and there's an unwritten rule that an MBA is expected in that department.
Sep 29, 2014
203 posts
157 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sounds like a sour post. Education is an investment. People who go into better programs open themselves up to better opportunities. It's really as simple as that. Nobody does an MBA for the actual knowledge because it's not law or medicine. It's about the networking, recruitment, alumni connections, and strength of the class profile. Don't blame others simply because you pursued a graduate degree at an average school and landed somewhere that you could have gotten without the MBA.

So you saved 25k while someone else paid 150k for a top MBA? Have any idea what the average Ivey MBA grad is doing/making? What about M7 MBAs that cost 200-300k from Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, MIT, Columbia, Wharton, and Northwestern?

By the way, what Canadian MBA program costs 150k?
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2385 posts
647 upvotes
Many good points posted already.

I just want to say - an MBA doesn't make you smarter. But a lot of people with an MBA are pretty darn smart. Do not underestimate the title automatically.
Nov 20, 2016
118 posts
93 upvotes
Streetdancer wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 5:20 pm
If you read angrybanker's comment carefully again, you'll see that he is talking about the guy you mentioned in your post, not yourself. Not sure why you're being so defensive and quick to jump on other people.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2019
7 posts
motomondo wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 12:55 pm
Many good points posted already.

I just want to say - an MBA doesn't make you smarter. But a lot of people with an MBA are pretty darn smart. Do not underestimate the title automatically.
Yes, people with either highly specialized skills and experience in a niche sector or people with great people skills. Not a lot of people.
[OP]
Aug 10, 2019
7 posts
Anyways, some people try to paint my post as an anti-Indian or anti-topMBA but its not. I never said that in my post. I reason I posted was to ask people why do these Indian kids who go to these top schools think of themselves as superior to other professionals/students who went to non-target school? I know in US this thing is legit but in Canada its not. I know so many people in our bank who got really good jobs because of their references and not because of their degree but these people have amazing sales and people skills. And, if you are rude and arrogant like this guy then you are not getting very far.