• Dec 6th, 2015 10:01 am
Tags:
None
Oct 9, 2014
397 posts
49 upvotes
Winterpeg

Top travel cards for those who make <70k

I don't quite make enough to qualify for the 70k cards (Cap1, BMO WE). I'm not interested in cash back or Amex. So Visa/MC only

I'm looking for a card with good travel rewards and travel insurances. (which I don't believe MBNA RTP has)

Is the RBC Avion Infinite the best option after Aspire and BMO WE? Also since the RBC app says if I don't qualify for the Infinite for some reason it'll automatically consider for the Platinum as well.

*I'm also not wanting to lie on my application with the hopes of getting approved because if they want income verification, I can't approve it and wasted a credit inquiry when I'll end up having to apply elsewhere, and need my inquiries minimized for other expenses in the future.

Thanks
21 replies
Oct 24, 2015
33 posts
2 upvotes
Concord, ON
name of card annual fee $ bonus
rbc avion platinum or infinite 120 15K pts bonus
rbc visa preferred 110
Oct 24, 2015
33 posts
2 upvotes
Concord, ON
rbc avion is good for transfer pts to British airways, no restrictions on booking flights , even on christmas and peak season
Oct 9, 2014
397 posts
49 upvotes
Winterpeg
bluejaysrocks wrote: rbc avion is good for transfer pts to British airways, no restrictions on booking flights , even on christmas and peak season
thats my thinking. I really only take vacations during peak flying seasons, so I should be able to maximize the flight redemption schedule at those times of year. And probably use the BA transfer eventually when I want to take my eventual trip to paris.

Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing some other card thats not as popular but better
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9301 posts
10318 upvotes
The Avion is useless, it doesn't have the single most important insurance, emergency medical.

I would say the NBC Platinum Mastercard has the best benefits:

https://www.nbc.ca/en/personal/credit-c ... tinum.html

However none of the SUB 70k travel Visas or Mastercards that I saw have both emergency medical and flight delay insurance. So I just got an Amex. They work out better with the transfer of points to Aeroplan anyway. That's my advice, and just get the best no fee Visa or Mastercard you can get.
Oct 9, 2014
397 posts
49 upvotes
Winterpeg
Poutinesauce wrote: The Avion is useless, it doesn't have the single most important insurance, emergency medical.

However none of the SUB 70k travel Visas or Mastercards that I saw have both emergency medical and flight delay insurance. So I just got an Amex. They work out better with the transfer of points to Aeroplan anyway. That's my advice, and just get the best no fee Visa or Mastercard you can get.
Amex is barely accepted around me. so its useless to me outside of buying gas and flying. Needs to be Visa/MC, since Id also like this card to be my daily driver.

Emergency medical is covered under my work insurance anyways. Its the lost baggage and trip cancelation that is a bigger concern to me.
Oct 24, 2015
33 posts
2 upvotes
Concord, ON
Poutinesauce wrote: The Avion is useless, it doesn't have the single most important insurance, emergency medical.

look carefully, avion has emergency medical insurance 30days , the nbc platinum you mention cost $125 annually
Image[/IMG]
Oct 24, 2015
33 posts
2 upvotes
Concord, ON
DudeManGuyBro wrote: Amex is barely accepted around me. so its useless to me outside of buying gas and flying. Needs to be Visa/MC, since Id also like this card to be my daily driver.

Emergency medical is covered under my work insurance anyways. Its the lost baggage and trip cancelation that is a bigger concern to me.
if you just want to get the credit card w/ trip cancel/interruption w/ lost luggage insurance would be RBC u.s signature black visa, its FREE, but its a U.S credit card (*not many ppl know about it :D ) -
Oct 24, 2015
33 posts
2 upvotes
Concord, ON
thats 3.95USD*1.35*12=63.99CAD /yr for a u.s banking account and a credit card, not bad ...PM me for questions
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
It really depends on what you want in a travel card
Return, benefits/insurance, lounge access, etc

Excluding Amex is not recommended as most travel providers would accept Amex anyway
I'd use Amex gold as my Primary for TRAVEL

But it is your card to decide

My signature thread has many cards to compare
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9301 posts
10318 upvotes
bluejaysrocks wrote: look carefully, avion has emergency medical insurance 30days , the nbc platinum you mention cost $125 annually
Image[/IMG]
That's only the Infinite version of the card, which requires higher revenue, which has it. Not the Platinum.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9301 posts
10318 upvotes
DudeManGuyBro wrote: Amex is barely accepted around me. so its useless to me outside of buying gas and flying. Needs to be Visa/MC, since Id also like this card to be my daily driver.

Don't rely on emergency medical insurance from work. My work offers it too and I would never use it. Most all of them are woefully inadequate and only reimburse you once you go back to your country. This is not the position you would want to be in if you got into an accident abroad and would cost you a fortune.

I make about 85% of my spend on Amex. It works for me.
Oct 24, 2015
33 posts
2 upvotes
Concord, ON
Poutinesauce wrote: That's only the Infinite version of the card, which requires higher revenue, which has it. Not the Platinum.

or the rbc visa preferred is $110 that include all the insurance protection avion .
Oct 24, 2015
33 posts
2 upvotes
Concord, ON
i heard amex gold rewards has really good travel insurance , especially when making claims
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2004
3144 posts
337 upvotes
Toronto
Capital One Aspire World Travel is still your best bet. I know you said <70k, but I know a lot of people that makes half of that and were able to qualify for that card.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
3009 posts
1629 upvotes
ah_long wrote: Capital One Aspire World Travel is still your best bet. I know you said <70k, but I know a lot of people that makes half of that and were able to qualify for that card.
Did they specify their income on the app to be less than 70,000 and qualified? Income requirement comes from MasterCard.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2004
3144 posts
337 upvotes
Toronto
McMaggot wrote: Did they specify their income on the app to be less than 70,000 and qualified? Income requirement comes from MasterCard.
Lets say they just put down whatever is needed and that was it.
Oct 9, 2014
397 posts
49 upvotes
Winterpeg
ah_long wrote: Capital One Aspire World Travel is still your best bet. I know you said <70k, but I know a lot of people that makes half of that and were able to qualify for that card.
thanks for reading my first post where I clearly outlined why I didn't want to lie on my application.

Anyways. I did apply for the Avion and got immediate approval for the Avion Infinite with a whopping limit of 16.5k, so I guess that I got what I was looking for.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
2052 posts
409 upvotes
GTA
DudeManGuyBro wrote: thanks for reading my first post where I clearly outlined why I didn't want to lie on my application.

Anyways. I did apply for the Avion and got immediate approval for the Avion Infinite with a whopping limit of 16.5k, so I guess that I got what I was looking for.
glad that it turned out good. the inf avion is a nice card