Torly's flooring pricing

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2020 2:53 pm
Nov 6, 2006
192 posts
68 upvotes

Torly's flooring pricing

Hi all,

We've finally settled on flooring for our home renovation. We dropped by Carpet Mill over the weekend and decided on Torly's Everwood Designer.
I'm finding it a little challenging finding pricing for these floors. Carpet Mill has it for $6.39/sqft, but willing to work on a better price with contractor discount (5%) and possibly another $0.10 per sqft discount on top.

Nobody else seems to post prices online.

Anyone know where else I can get pricing from? I don't want to rely on just one source for pricing. If need be, I can ask my contractor to order it for better pricing.

Thanks for any tips
15 replies
Dec 9, 2013
808 posts
805 upvotes
Toronto
Wow $6.39 a sq ft for vinyl flooring (albeit for possibly the best vinyl flooring)? Is that with installation?
Nov 6, 2006
192 posts
68 upvotes
miscbrah1 wrote: Wow $6.39 a sq ft for vinyl flooring (albeit for possibly the best vinyl flooring)? Is that with installation?
That's without installation. An additional 2.9/sqft for installation. We have dogs an plan to use vinyl in the kitchen, so for us vinyl is the way to go.

550sqft worth of flooring for my basement (DIY) from HomeDepot (LifeProof) cost $2,000 - but I can see and feel the difference between HD Lifeproof and Torly's.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
3106 posts
4579 upvotes
West GTA
That price point seems a bit steep for vinyl flooring, which isn't really seen as premium in the same way wood and tile are, but you can't argue against the functionality of it - fairly sturdy and plays nice with water. Post a pic once it's in, curious to see what ultra-premium vinyl floors look like!
Sep 19, 2014
505 posts
262 upvotes
Markham, ON
with install that's basically $10/sqft...for vinyl floors
seems a bit crazy considering vinyl is suppose to be a budget floor.

I think you can get a high quality Canadian made solid hardwood for less than that or just pay abit more for tile?
by the way, most people think mixing real wood beside fake wood (e.g. vinyl or laminate) next to each other doesn't look good. (assuming you have real wood next to your kitchen)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5381 posts
5003 upvotes
Toronto
It's really common in higher end homes in the South where I'm spending some time these days, and it's pretty impressive looking.

But I'd have a hard time spending more than I spent on my last Preverco engineered oak flooring on a vinyl plank.

That being said, the high end wood, with all the character missing (knots etc.) looks fake anyhow so might as well get good vinyl.

I expect the OP is putting the vinyl down through the entire space, not just the kitchen. Don't run two different floors that look like wood together. Do the same flooring throughout the entire floor the kitchen is on. We have 3/4 solid oak in our kitchen and through the full main floor.
Nov 6, 2006
192 posts
68 upvotes
torontotim wrote: It's really common in higher end homes in the South where I'm spending some time these days, and it's pretty impressive looking.

But I'd have a hard time spending more than I spent on my last Preverco engineered oak flooring on a vinyl plank.

That being said, the high end wood, with all the character missing (knots etc.) looks fake anyhow so might as well get good vinyl.

I expect the OP is putting the vinyl down through the entire space, not just the kitchen. Don't run two different floors that look like wood together. Do the same flooring throughout the entire floor the kitchen is on. We have 3/4 solid oak in our kitchen and through the full main floor.
You are correct. I'm putting vinyl throughout both floors - not just the kitchen. The bathrooms will get tiled.

We put down similarly priced hardwood in our old home (mid to high-end quality), and within 1 year the floors looked horrible with our dogs just walking around on them. We trim their nails regularly, but it didn't help one bit.

The lower-quality HomeDepot vinyl we currently have in our new house (basement) hasn't seen a scratch yet. It's been 3 months with the dogs walking around on them with no issues (though it is a little more slippery for the pups). We're currently staying in the basement as renovations upstairs take place, so the dogs are there with us full-time.

As for the wood feel - it's pretty darn close. It looks and feels like real wood. It even has the knots with textures and all. The only difference I find is the vinyl is a bit more smooth/slippery to walk on. It's minimal but noticeable on the HomeDepot brand floors.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5381 posts
5003 upvotes
Toronto
Yup - vinyl flooring has come a long way. Not sure if they offer varying length planks, as that was always the dead giveaway, with 6 foot planks laid out in a brick pattern on the floor.

At minimum they can be offset at varying amounts with different length cuts starting a course at the wall, but in a large field, the same length boards are still easily seen.

For your purposes, it sounds like the right choice and worth the investment.

Is it glued down?
Nov 6, 2006
192 posts
68 upvotes
torontotim wrote: Yup - vinyl flooring has come a long way. Not sure if they offer varying length planks, as that was always the dead giveaway, with 6 foot planks laid out in a brick pattern on the floor.

At minimum they can be offset at varying amounts with different length cuts starting a course at the wall, but in a large field, the same length boards are still easily seen.

For your purposes, it sounds like the right choice and worth the investment.

Is it glued down?
This model is not glued down. In fact, I plan to lay it on top of MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) for impact noise proofing. I have Green Glue on the lower level ceiling for Air Noise soundproofing.
I purchased the sound proofing material from AcouticGuard in Mississauga (they ship). The MLV will need to be glued down.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Stangn99 wrote: Hi all,

We've finally settled on flooring for our home renovation. We dropped by Carpet Mill over the weekend and decided on Torly's Everwood Designer.
I'm finding it a little challenging finding pricing for these floors. Carpet Mill has it for $6.39/sqft, but willing to work on a better price with contractor discount (5%) and possibly another $0.10 per sqft discount on top.

Nobody else seems to post prices online.

Anyone know where else I can get pricing from? I don't want to rely on just one source for pricing. If need be, I can ask my contractor to order it for better pricing.

Thanks for any tips

Ran into the same problem with torlys. Call around to other shops. I needed 300sqft of older stock, ended up getting from the US drop shipped for cheaper than the cost locally.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3286 posts
1276 upvotes
koffey wrote: Ran into the same problem with torlys. Call around to other shops. I needed 300sqft of older stock, ended up getting from the US drop shipped for cheaper than the cost locally.
where in the U.S. did you buy from? Another option is going into Buffalo buying if worth it? We are doing some renos and thinking about Engineered, and some Torly styles look nice but hard to find pricing online as well
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Chicago.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Dec 9, 2013
808 posts
805 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: Chicago.
Which store and how much did you end up paying for sq ft?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Good questions, think it was Indiana and not Chicago. I had posted about it when I was looking. I'd have to see if I can find the invoice/rfd post but locally it was around $6.49, $2.50 - $3 more than what I had purchased it for. I got it for $1.39USD, with free underlayment so total was $425USD and $450USD for shipping, came out to $1100CAD. There was a huge issue with border hand offs though, don't know if I would bother doing it again, but saved over $1000.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1852 posts
879 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapest place I found for Torlys was Speers flooring in Oakville. Fantastic customer service.
Jun 2, 2018
120 posts
71 upvotes
jacquesstrap wrote: Cheapest place I found for Torlys was Speers flooring in Oakville. Fantastic customer service.
Thanks for this. Torlys Everwood Designer is on sale at Speers Florring for $4.79/sqft, that is very competitive I believe.