None
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1605 posts
279 upvotes
Aurora
masterhapposai wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 10:46 pm
If these kids ALL HAD FREE INTERNET THERE WOULD BE LESS POVERTY.
Assuming they use it productively. How can you assume that? It needs to be monitored and CUT when required.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
2474 posts
244 upvotes
North York
Considering all the other subsidies they receive $10 internet is peanuts.

+
If your really jealous of them, go live in public housing.

System is not perfect but at least it's there.

Rogers is still making $ in the end, since their basically collecting $10/month from each household that wouldn't have paid for internet.

Then if and when any of those households leaves to live on their own earnings, they may likely choose to sign up with Rogers, so it's a win win.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Google Nexus via Mobilicity $25 BTS unlimited talk/text/data

:lol: $5,000.00 CASH < 2 Minutes :lol:
:lol: McD's
Online Monopoly Winner :lol:
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1143 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
3mbit 30GB = necessity
25mbit unlimited = luxury
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2159 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
I think it is funny what we consider necessities these days. Our definition of necessity seems to change with the gneral public's standard of living. There are thousands of poor Torontonians living in non-TCHC affordable housing who cannot afford internet...so they don't have. Why do we have to subsidize people's rents so they can afford internet?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
silky28 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2013 11:06 pm
I think it is funny what we consider necessities these days. Our definition of necessity seems to change with the gneral public's standard of living. There are thousands of poor Torontonians living in non-TCHC affordable housing who cannot afford internet...so they don't have. Why do we have to subsidize people's rents so they can afford internet?
You want them to find work, or educate them-self, don't you ?
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
why not? some of those kids can become ceo's or great inventors one day. or we can let em rot and have them become drug lords and gang bangers.
nobody wants to be low income or at the bottom. sometimes some ppl have bad things handed to them... lost job. parent dies. or has abusive home and needs to live on their own.
you can't judge them all. there are some families in TCHC that have just become Canadian citizens and they work where they can find work anywhere. working on crap wages with kids in school.
they need that help. i volunteer my time at KoC and i meet some of these families. you would be surprised at some of the stories i hear.
bottom line... this is a good thing regardless if its for TCHC or not. but i think rogers and all the other companies involved did it right choosing to help these ppl because they are the ones who NEED it the most.
while the rest of us enjoy 15 - 25 - 50 - 75 and even 150+ mbps with unlimited caps a lot of these TCHC families are using computers donated to them... really old ones and some of them are even sharing that with neighbors who cant get one.
silky28 wrote:
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1456 posts
274 upvotes
TORONTO
trixstar wrote:
Jun 4th, 2013 8:38 am
Everyone on RFD makes over 100k annually. Does anyone here live in public housing?
You're a fool
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1456 posts
274 upvotes
TORONTO
infamouskid wrote:
Jun 7th, 2013 11:57 pm
why not? some of those kids can become ceo's or great inventors one day. or we can let em rot and have them become drug lords and gang bangers.
nobody wants to be low income or at the bottom. sometimes some ppl have bad things handed to them... lost job. parent dies. or has abusive home and needs to live on their own.
you can't judge them all. there are some families in TCHC that have just become Canadian citizens and they work where they can find work anywhere. working on crap wages with kids in school.
they need that help. i volunteer my time at KoC and i meet some of these families. you would be surprised at some of the stories i hear.
bottom line... this is a good thing regardless if its for TCHC or not. but i think rogers and all the other companies involved did it right choosing to help these ppl because they are the ones who NEED it the most.
while the rest of us enjoy 15 - 25 - 50 - 75 and even 150+ mbps with unlimited caps a lot of these TCHC families are using computers donated to them... really old ones and some of them are even sharing that with neighbors who cant get one.
Some faith in humanity has been restored!
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2004
1041 posts
42 upvotes
silky28 wrote:

Because we live in a capitalist system that has mega-bubbles that increase prices to the point that large swatches of people cannot afford it. And what they can afford, gets put on the backburner and takes longer to produce. Then the bubble finally bursts, and, the way it is now it seems, everybody gives all that bubble money back to the rich.

Then the rich decide how generous everybody as a society should be, with some slight "input" from the general public, but mainly shaped by who they decide to pay.

Then rinse and repeat.

At least that's the plan.

Luckily the plan isn't all that difficult to figure out, since it doesn't change, only the methods and tools, so there are people who can see the plan and are the ones who are really running things.

The only question is: How Long? Sooner or Later?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2008
1605 posts
279 upvotes
Aurora
WildWolf wrote:
Jun 7th, 2013 11:09 pm
You want them to find work, or educate them-self, don't you ?
I guess going to the employment office or library/McDonalds/friend etc. with free internet is not enough? I agree what Rogers is doing may help, but then again so does a free car and Armani suit. Where does it end? Let's give them free University education too.
infamouskid wrote:
Waiting for others to give you free stuff instead of taking the initiative to go find it is not CEO material. There are other options. This is Canada and it's important the needs get subsidized necessities. Internet is not one of them.
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Jun 8th, 2013 1:20 am
You gotta give everybody an equal opportunity to succeed.
You mean communism?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
25038 posts
1272 upvotes
Richmond Hill
infamouskid wrote:
you don't need any credentials to flip burgers, and flipping burgers can afford you a usable pc. I'm curious to hear some of their story though if you care to share. giving everyone an equal opportunity? great, so how about providing all the poor people with public housing?
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
list of ongoing trades BST & free stuff giveaway
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
25038 posts
1272 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Nicotine wrote:
Jun 8th, 2013 2:20 am
Because we live in a capitalist system that has mega-bubbles that increase prices to the point that large swatches of people cannot afford it. And what they can afford, gets put on the backburner and takes longer to produce. Then the bubble finally bursts, and, the way it is now it seems, everybody gives all that bubble money back to the rich.

Then the rich decide how generous everybody as a society should be, with some slight "input" from the general public, but mainly shaped by who they decide to pay.

Then rinse and repeat.

At least that's the plan.

Luckily the plan isn't all that difficult to figure out, since it doesn't change, only the methods and tools, so there are people who can see the plan and are the ones who are really running things.

The only question is: How Long? Sooner or Later?
why are you bad mouthing capitalism? it's the best system we have. why are you against rich people? you do realize that we as Canadians are one of the richest people on this planet by default.
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
list of ongoing trades BST & free stuff giveaway
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
1462 posts
156 upvotes
This is NOT even available yet. And only those with Toronto Community Housing are eligible. It’s an affordable Internet program that will be available to residents living in non-profit and social housing in Ontario.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.

Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, OSP RULES!
YGK, Toray, Sunline RULES!
Shimano RULES!
St. Croix & Halo RULES!

JDM ONLY.
× < >