Toronto - Apple plans huge new Eaton Centre store

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 9:50 am
8 replies
Oct 14, 2014
499 posts
409 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I'm surprised to learn that Eaton Centre is North America's busiest shopping mall. Not surprised in the sense that yes it is always busy, just surprised that some place in Canada beat so many places in the USA.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10333 posts
9516 upvotes
Oakville
Desperation move by dying giant?
lefroset wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:11 am
I'm surprised to learn that Eaton Centre is North America's busiest shopping mall. Not surprised in the sense that yes it is always busy, just surprised that some place in Canada beat so many places in the USA.
Maybe USA has more malls, so usage is spread out a bit there?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4294 posts
1345 upvotes
Given that Ryerson is right beside the mall and a couple of very big homeless shelters are close by ... could it be that the number is a little inflated?
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16637 posts
2527 upvotes
Toronto
lefroset wrote:
Most of the really dense US cities with good transit have shopping streets, not shopping malls. They're structured more like Yorkville with outdoor storefronts instead of indoor malls and lots of foot traffic and nearby public transit. The cities with big malls are all in really car-focused areas, which limits how busy they get.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11074 posts
1309 upvotes
Mississauga
lefroset wrote:
This list of the largest malls in the USA shows that they are all in suburban areas, which limits how busy they can get. If Toronto was part of the US, it would be the third largest city, so having a giant shopping mall in the heart of a very large city would result in it being the busiest.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6337 posts
1485 upvotes
lefroset wrote:
lollll

I took the attached photograph on Boxing Day, 2018. I hadn't gone Boxing Day shopping in years. I went home without buying anything as most "deals" weren't even that good, and it was too crowded and uncomfortable for me to try much on. By the time I was leaving, all levels of the mall were like the main floor.
Images
  • WhatsApp Image 2018-12-26 at 1.06.21 PM.jpeg
Jan 11, 2019
26 posts
42 upvotes
lefroset wrote:
Americans, in general, have less tolerance for crowds/lines, so they would have built another mall in the general area to take some of the load off Eaton Center.