Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
1356 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto

Toronto Area Honda Dealers - experiences wanted

Ok guys, thanks to all who responded in my thread asking about the 7th Gen Accords. I got pretty much what I wanted.

In doing my research over the past few days, I have realized that the most important question is this - will your dealer stand behind you after you purchase the car or not? Look, let's face it, every car sold nowadays is going to have problems on a production run. Parts temporarily outsourced, small changes in line technique, etc can create a situation in which a well designed car gets made less than optimally.

All that matters is whether the dealer is really on your side. And this is where I have been hearing horror stories about Honda dealers. 'That's not covered' (it actually is). 'That's your fault because of the way you drive'. 'You have to pay the labour'. 'It'll be a week and we don't provide a loaner car' (meant to dissuade you)'.

Or else they do some band-aid job and the problem is back in a few weeks.

So... the real question for me is - who's the best Honda dealer in the GTA in terms of standing behind its customers and doing warranty work with no hassles?

Now, I know that guys can tell horror stories about every dealer, but post here and tell me either a great story or a horror story. Maybe we can really come up with a dealer or service manager that takes a different approach. Thanks.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
1007 posts
3 upvotes
IMO, Parkway Honda is by far the best in terms of service. Formula Honda and Sisley Honda are ok.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
1356 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
evolution921 wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2007 1:19 pm
IMO, Parkway Honda is by far the best in terms of service. Formula Honda and Sisley Honda are ok.
That's very interesting, because in my travels around the dealerships to talk to salesmen, the guy at Parkway was one of two guys who didn't try to bs me or push me into a decision. I thought he was fairly straight ahead and made me a fair first offer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
1356 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
hmmm...4 pages of replies on the Accord thread, so some guys here must have a take on a GTA Honda dealer, good or bad...
Banned
Nov 11, 2006
8770 posts
29 upvotes
Tdot
its called the Stealerships!!! they r all the same to me!!! effing rippoff
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
2460 posts
110 upvotes
I had nothing but good experiences at Lakeshore Honda.Mind you none of my cars ever needed any major repairs .Just the usual wear and tear items .I don`t know anyone that has had any major warranty problems with their Hondas.
Jun 6, 2005
447 posts
4 upvotes
Lakeshore Honda and Newmarket Honda have been great for me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
1356 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
bigred123 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2007 12:01 am
Lakeshore Honda and Newmarket Honda have been great for me.
lol.. this is actually pretty funny. Above, I said that the guys at Parkway were one of two dealerships that stuck out for the way they didn't do the 'Used Car Salesmen' bit on me. The other one? Yep... it was Newmarket Honda! Guy was calm and polite and talked to me like a normal human, not like I was an idiot who was wasting his time.

Unfortunately, the sales guy I got at Lakeshore was the standard thing, just bs'ing me the whole way and trying all the standard lines. Kept implying that I wasn't a serious buyer. Just gave me a bad taste, I guess.

Sheesh... thing is, I live so far away.

Thanks for the comments anyhow. Anyone else?
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
You don't need a dealer to stand behind you. You need Honda Canada to do so. You can choose any Honda dealer to look after your car.

You need someone gives you the best deal. Have you considered getting the new car from leasing company? If you know exactly what you want, you can get a better price from those company. Of course, if you need finance, that may not be a good option.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
1356 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
gman wrote:
Sep 5th, 2007 1:32 am
You don't need a dealer to stand behind you. You need Honda Canada to do so. You can choose any Honda dealer to look after your car.

You need someone gives you the best deal. Have you considered getting the new car from leasing company? If you know exactly what you want, you can get a better price from those company. Of course, if you need finance, that may not be a good option.
Well actually. I would have thought the same thing. However, the horror stories I've heard involve owners going to the dealer to request warranty work, the dealers refusing to do it, and then the customers contacting Honda Canada, only to be told that Honda Canada won't get involved in disputes and that the customer is on his own in dealing with the dealer since the dealer is the one that sold him the car.

Of course, if Honda thinks there is a problem with a dealer and they are getting multiple complaints, maybe they would step in, but overall I haven't heard that you can just call Honda up to discipline a misbehaving dealer. I may be wrong and I would love to hear more about it.

Re: buying from a leasing company... that's an interesting idea that I've never considered. So I can buy a brand new car from a leasing company like Somerville? Hmm... I'll have to make a few phone calls. If anyone has the name of a leasing company that is likely to have a 2007 Accord, please post it.

Thanks for the response.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
1356 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Just had an appointment with the Service Manager at Parkway. I have talked to 3 service managers in the past 4 days. I asked each one the same questions. The first two lied to my face about the quality control issues with the 7th Gen Honda Accords. Specifically, they both denied up and down that there was ever any rotor warping problems with these cars.

At Parkway, however, the guy freely admitted that this was a problem. He then went on to tell me why it was a problem*.

He made me feel that if I had legitimate issues with my car that fell under warranty, he would not refuse to do the work in order to fill his bays with the sometimes more lucrative out of warranty service work.

I have absolutely no affiliation with this company at all. I just want others who read this to know of my experiences.

----------------------------

* for those who are interested, the brake pad material was at first too soft, which caused buildup on the rotors and vibration when braking. Then they switched to a compound that was too hard, and this heated the rotors up too much, thus causing warping. The compound in use now is apprently back to a softer one, but not so soft as the original.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
I don't see why a Honda dealership will refuse warranty work. Honda Canada pays for the work. They get their money if you do your warranty work there.

I bought a Honda Civic years ago through a leasing company. The car was about $1500 lower than the best quote I got from a few Honda dealers in GTA at that time and the leasing company threw in a few things on top of it.

All my repairs were done in Honda dealers. i.e. more than one Honda dealer. Whoever gave me the best price and service, I went there. I had no problem with warranty work (I think).

BTW, I bought that Civic years ago in a tiny, rundown office of a leasing company office with couple desks. No, I don't know where that company is anymore (if it still exists) because the whole area were rebuilt.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1599 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
Roadsport Honda: Kennedy and Ellesmere.

I bought my 07 Civic from there, and scored an awesome deal with little time wasted on negotiation. I believe it came up to a few hundred above cost (which is a small, and fair markup).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
1356 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
gman wrote:
Sep 5th, 2007 10:53 pm
I don't see why a Honda dealership will refuse warranty work. Honda Canada pays for the work. They get their money if you do your warranty work there.
Hi gman

First, I checked out some leasing companies today after reading your post. It was interesting and I got one lead that I will follow up on tomorrow. The car is on Ottawa and I'm in Toronto but I will go and get it if the price is right.

Re: dealerships doing Honda mandated warranty work, here is what I have heard.

The question you ask is logical - why would a dealership be hesitant to do warranty work when Honda is paying for it? The problem is this. Honda estimates the number of hours each warranty job will take. So if the customer comes in with problem X, and the car is under warranty, Honda tells the dealer "Do the service and we will pay you for 2.4 hours of labour, because that's what our tables show us that this type of job should take".

However... Honda Service techs know how long certain jobs actually take, and often Honda's estimate is low. Instead of putting a warranty job in Bay #1 and potentially having to pay the mechanic for 3 hours when the dealership is only getting paid for 2.4, the Service Manager could have an out-of-warranty job in that bay and be making pure profit. The Service area of any big dealership is a huge profit centre for them.

So... that is why a Service Manager might try to tell a customer that a job is not covered under warranty, or refuse to do it claiming 'wear and tear'. This is what I have come to understand after reading a lot and talking to a lot of people.

PS - This must apply to ever car manufacturer, not just Honda.
× < >