• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2017 5:12 pm
Jul 14, 2008
184 posts
39 upvotes
Montreal
JMCD wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 4:12 pm
I agree, I value them at roughly 2c/mile. I am hoping to fly to Hawaii out of detroit next year. $14 in taxes with United and it's 45000 miles. You can also do a 3 way flight for nothing extra. So you could go to Vancouver and Calgary with 3 legs of the flight. That's where the money is in aeroplan.
Wow, I had no clue about the three-way thing, thanks for the info!!
Jan 17, 2009
53 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
MentalAnarchy wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 11:28 am
In fairness to OP, this becomes a hot deal if you have Altitude status. My understanding is that for a typical Air Canada redemption flight, around 80% of the BS fees are for the "carrier surcharge". This carrier surcharge is supposedly waived if you have 25k status or higher (can anybody with status please confirm this?).

As for Aeroplan valuation, because of the fees I think a more realistic conversion rate is 1 cent per point if you do not have status and around 1.5 cents per point if you do. I realize the RTW redemption option probably gives you more bang for the buck, but for most people, I think this option would be very difficult to redeem (vacation time limitations, complicated booking, etc).
If you have full status and don't pay YQ then i could post any aeroplan mileage sale/offer and it would be "hot". The best redemption for aeroplan is on business/first class flights even with the taxes you get good value.

This deal is cold..
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2007
1094 posts
281 upvotes
Toronto
tark514 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 10:43 am
That's why I can't wait for AC to go away. Their surcharge BS is stupid.

You could try to find with non surcharge airlines.
AC is still our flag carrier. Their service might be embarrassing but it would be even more embarrassing for a country to have a flag carrier to go down. In all fairness, I think AC is still better than the ones from the states. And I do get good deals from AC sometimes, just have to wait for them, calculate and compare. Also they are (and soon will not) the main backer for Aeroplan, which i am pretty satisfied with. Again if you don't skip out doing the math you can get some very good return with Aeroplan. But this 'deal' most certainly isn't.

Arguably, i can easily achieve $600 return per 25k points. A multi-destination to Asia 1 during high season, in economy would be my first guess. It all comes down to whether you have that many vacation days.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
5674 posts
522 upvotes
Toronto
eeto wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 11:45 am
AC is still our flag carrier. Their service might be embarrassing but it would be even more embarrassing for a country to have a flag carrier to go down. In all fairness, I think AC is still better than the ones from the states. And I do get good deals from AC sometimes, just have to wait for them, calculate and compare. Also they are (and soon will not) the main backer for Aeroplan, which i am pretty satisfied with. Again if you don't skip out doing the math you can get some very good return with Aeroplan. But this 'deal' most certainly isn't.

Arguably, i can easily achieve $600 return per 25k points. A multi-destination to Asia 1 during high season, in economy would be my first guess. It all comes down to whether you have that many vacation days.
What kind of trip to Asia can you get for 25,000 AP miles?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
16290 posts
1750 upvotes
Langley
Inno wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:08 pm
$600 PER 25000 points. Not 25000 points to Asia.
Apr 8, 2009
141 posts
52 upvotes
Inno wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:08 pm
Nothing with 25k. But 75k will get you to Asia 1 (HK, Japan, Taiwan etc) and include free stops in Europe too. Economy, of course.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4046 posts
502 upvotes
Thornhill
StealthFinder wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 2:59 pm
OP no offence but this is most definitely NOT even a luke warm deal. If you take 25000 Aeroplan miles at a value of approx $600 or so and add $560, you are paying $1160 for a normally $550 and $700 fare. If your deal was business class, then it would have been a hot deal.

https://www.howtosavemoney.ca/what-is-a ... ally-worth
I never said it is a hot deal, yet I personally know 2 people who booked these because they have sh$$t ton of points and are basically paying $560 for a flight that does cost more than that. That's why I posted this. I wouldn't book it... yet some may.
Regardless, 25,000 points are NOT worth the $600 you are claiming. Not for 90% of the flights. Real value of those points between 250-400. You will never find a business class ticket for this price unless it's a glitch or they have some kind of a promo for a few seats. I fly to Europe a lot and never seen anything close to that for business class.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
4046 posts
502 upvotes
Thornhill
JCYC5 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:55 pm
Nothing with 25k. But 75k will get you to Asia 1 (HK, Japan, Taiwan etc) and include free stops in Europe too. Economy, of course.
It's all relative... I mean, I've seen a lot of flight to HK or Beijing or Tokyo as cheap as $550-650 over the last 2 years. I've taken 2 of those myself so I wouldn't pay 75,000 points as the absolute minimum value of 75,000 points is $750 and when you add taxes that flight is likely to be around $900-1200 in that instance so in some cases it's cheaper to just book with another airline.
2 years ago I flew during a busy season to Tokyo and flights were around $1800 and I was happy to pay 75K+ $169tax.
Nov 10, 2014
39 posts
31 upvotes
East York, ON
JCYC5 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 4:03 pm
I'm flying Edmonton - Toronto - New York - Brussels - Istanbul - Phuket - Bangkok - Tokyo - Vancouver - Edmonton for 155,000 aeroplan miles and $220. Oh - in business class the entire way.

Sorry OP, not remotely close to hot.
How? ...
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1129 posts
77 upvotes
Pricematch1 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 3:26 am
How? ...
JCYC5 isn't stopping at all those places. ure allowed 2 stopovers in addition to your 1 destination (in his case, an Asia 2 city). For layovers, less than 24 hours stay in that city. For more info, google "aeroplan mini rtw" (round the world)

Oh. And u avoid fees by avoiding flying on AC with aeroplan. Use some of the other airlines on star alliance
Apr 8, 2009
141 posts
52 upvotes
Pricematch1 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 3:26 am
How? ...
By booking return flights with Aeroplan. Doing so, you're allowed 2 stops of more than 24 hours in addition to your destination (which is your furthest point travelled). Aeroplan gives you a maximum amount of mileage permitted to get to this destination, and you can stop along the way. For example, I am stopping in Brussels (then flying budget airlines within Western Europe and using trains to get around) before my destination of Phuket. Tokyo is my other stop (again, taking the train within Japan to travel). Other cities are simply stops of around 24 hours.