[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
18909 posts
18108 upvotes
Toronto

Toronto - BIKO rewards (like Carrot) for biking

Deal Link:
Biko, a free mobile app that launched in Bogota, Colombia, in 2015, has launched in Toronto today (May 10). The app tracks a user’s movements through GPS to earn digital rewards, which can be traded in for actual rewards such as discounts and freebies from local businesses. For every kilometre travelled, users earn one Biko point.

Sixty Biko points can be traded in for a free six-pack at Amsterdam Brewery.
Not only did we embarrass Marky Mark, we let down the Funky Bunch.
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
8027 posts
3187 upvotes
Toronto
do you need data for this? or occasional wi-fi is enough? i bike to work daily
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2647 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
ManCaveGamer wrote:
May 10th, 2017 11:10 pm
do you need data for this? or occasional wi-fi is enough? i bike to work daily
I want to know this too. I want my trips to be as anonymous as possible and use a spare phone without an active sim.

Kinda freaky to have my travel habits recorded. Not sure if it's worth it for some beer.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
6931 posts
2874 upvotes
The app itself says no data is required.

"Biko doesn't use cellular data or wifi to log your activities."

You can also get Bikos just from 'bouncing around' when your phone's GPS location keeps updating new locations.
Oct 3, 2015
487 posts
471 upvotes
Midland, ON
The app requires access to your contacts. Not worth it in my opinion.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2647 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
SoroSuub1 wrote:
May 11th, 2017 10:00 am
The app itself says no data is required.

"Biko doesn't use cellular data or wifi to log your activities."

You can also get Bikos just from 'bouncing around' when your phone's GPS location keeps updating new locations.
I wonder if it needs an active sim. I'm going to try it out over the weekend and see. I'll probably try to turn it on a block away from the house and end it before my destination. Am I too paranoid? :O
Nov 1, 2015
599 posts
457 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
It's very restricting. If your average speed is above a certain threshold, it marks it as red on the map. Too much red and it marks your ride as a drive. It's for the most casual of riders it seems.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2647 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
BBQPEANUT wrote:
May 12th, 2017 2:02 pm
It's very restricting. If your average speed is above a certain threshold, it marks it as red on the map. Too much red and it marks your ride as a drive. It's for the most casual of riders it seems.
You're cycling to fast! Lol
Are you going 30-40?
Nov 1, 2015
599 posts
457 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Like 25km/h.. lots of downhills = lots of red
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
8027 posts
3187 upvotes
Toronto
i'll give it a try, thanks
pipolchap wrote:
May 12th, 2017 2:06 pm
You're cycling to fast! Lol
Are you going 30-40?
well i do go around 30-35 going downhill along the sherbourne bike lane :)
Dec 4, 2015
42 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Has anyone redeemed anything from the brewery or other gitcards yet? I have accumulated 150 bikos the past two days.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
2647 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
pipolchap wrote:
May 11th, 2017 11:22 am

I wonder if it needs an active sim. I'm going to try it out over the weekend and see. I'll probably try to turn it on a block away from the house and end it before my destination. Am I too paranoid? :O
So I'm using a spare clean device with no address book and no active sim. It seems to be working fine. Sometimes I have to wait a bit to get GPS going.
BBQPEANUT wrote:
May 12th, 2017 2:02 pm
I noticed the red on my downhills as well. I'm not going very fast. I also noticed red when I sometimes make 90 deg turns. Is there any documentation on what those red lines mean and if they count?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7168 posts
1740 upvotes
There was lots of red on my ride yesterday, but I still got points for all kilometers ridden:

Nov 1, 2015
599 posts
457 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
All the red areas still count. Your entire ride either counts or doesn't count. When you try and save, it'll tell you if it believes you did the ride in a vehicle or not and prevent your save from giving you points. When you get to that page though, there's no going back and "walking around to lower your average speed", they're all lost KMs if you plan on cheating the system.

This was mostly red but because I walked with my bike for 10km afterwards around Seattle, it still counted because my average speed was brought down significantly.
Nov 1, 2016
519 posts
534 upvotes
Toronto
this app sadly doesn't work for me. I tried to redeem with one of their sponsors complying with their terms and conditions but they wouldn't allow it. made up excuses.

as well, biko won't refund your points when an offer is expired. waste of time.