CATCHERS
# Gregg Zaun
# Jason Phillips
58927 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
39 upvotes
Initial reaction: bwhaaaaaaaaaaahhh?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

So I don't know what to make of Big Hurt coming to Toronto. I trust ESPN is reliable.

This is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of left field. I never imagined Big Hurt leaving Oakland. When JP said "bat", I thought a decent power hitter and never thought Thomas. No reports, rumours, anything.

How much JP throwing at him? Beane offered $9.5M/2 years so I assume JP blew that out of the water to convince him. I'm assuming $12M/2 which sounds reasonable... hopefully.

Looks like we found ourselves a new DH. Though he can't run, he can crush balls still.

Right now, I'm indifferent to this signing depending on how much.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12163 posts
5613 upvotes
Ottawa
I am rather shocked to hear Thomas' name as well. I hope he can give us some pops.

I personally don't think we should re-sign Ted Lilly. True, he had a career year last year but it also happens to be his contract year. He has done nothing else in his previous 3, 4 seasons with the Jays to impress me. Consistently inconsistent, that's how I rate Ted.

The Jays need a SS badly. Whoever think Johnnie Mac can do the job adequately for 162 games need to stop dreaming.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
297 upvotes
Midland
NAPLES, Fla. -- The Toronto Blue Jays are closing in on a deal with free agent designated hitter Frank Thomas, two sources at the general managers' meetings told ESPN.com.

Thomas, 38, batted .270 with 39 homers and 114 RBI last season for the Oakland Athletics. The Texas Rangers had also made a serious push to sign him.

It's believed that Thomas will sign a two-year deal with the Blue Jays. He played for a base salary of $500,000 this season, plus $2.6 million in incentives, after coming back from an ankle injury.

Great if they can sign him!
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Jul 15, 2006
191 posts
The BIG HURTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

I still have his video game for the Playstation.
Jul 15, 2003
797 posts
5 upvotes
actually the interest of Thomas by the Jays has been there for a while...
I heard quite some bit ago on the Fan590 that he was one of the key players the Jays are gonna be luring
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2004
1809 posts
8 upvotes
i always thought his $500,000/yr contract last year + incentives if he played was an amazing deal for the athletics.

if the guy does produce, he produces big time... so... you have nothing to lose hwen you're giving him $500,000... hell, eric hinske is getting something like $4-5m.

--

back to this deal, AMAZING IF THE JAYS GET HIM. big props to j.p. getting me all excited right after the season is over...

--

apparantly its 2 yrs for $23mil.... holy cow...
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
3831 posts
26 upvotes
Interesting...if that's true and Thomas manages to come close to his numbers from last year, you can tick off "bat" from the list.

I think the Jays need a 2B rather than SS since Hill can play SS. Scott Carson threw out the names Kennedy and Marcus Giles (!)
:http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/column ... 83045_4452

As for relief pitching, I'd try to re-sign Speier; dunno how many arms we need but he's one. Catcher, I'd re-sign Zaun as the starter. He's reliable enough and is a switch hitter, plus he's a leader and he's been with the club/pitchers a few years now. Re-signing Wells makes sense unless he's asking for waaaaaay too much or there's a trade available that's too good to pass on. As for SP, according to some baseball executives, Lilly might be the best available:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/s ... id=2662662

Gonna be interesting to see how the Jays look next year...they're just a few pieces/avoiding injuries away from the playoffs. Let's move to the NL where teams with fewer wins than the Jays not only make the playoffs but win it all!
i think this line's mostly filler
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7607 posts
7342 upvotes
Rogers Centre is a much better hitter's park than Oakland. You could run a marathon in its foul territory.

The big concerns is really injuries with FT. Otherwise, he's the RHP-pounding bat that the Jays need. I remember how the Jays wins differential between starting lefties and righties was heavily skewed in favour of the former.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
39 upvotes
Reports are saying, 2 for $23M plus club option for third.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/b ... index.html
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6177240

Wowwwwwwwwwww..... that's a lot for a DH. Perhaps too much. Unless Rogers opened up the bank to $100M, this might not have been wise spending.

Unless, the rumour mills starting churning and we could see a trade of Wells or something. I mean, if the budget is at $90M and they had $20M+ to spend, they just spent $11.5M on the DH... mmmmmmm......

Troy Glaus makes about $12M, I think. Maybe trade Glaus away for pitching and shed some salary although he has a full no-trade clause?

Maybe convert Lind into a 3B? I honestly believe Lind's bat belongs in the majors next year, no more AAA.

Sucks to be A's, maybe they will push hard for Barry Bonds now!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
297 upvotes
Midland
mingcourt wrote: i always thought his $500,000/yr contract last year + incentives if he played was an amazing deal for the athletics.

if the guy does produce, he produces big time... so... you have nothing to lose hwen you're giving him $500,000... hell, eric hinske is getting something like $4-5m.

--

back to this deal, AMAZING IF THE JAYS GET HIM. big props to j.p. getting me all excited right after the season is over...

--

apparantly its 2 yrs for $23mil.... holy cow...
I have a hard time believing it's anywhere near that amount.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2005
1388 posts
432 upvotes
Toronto
$23 mil over 2 years for Thomas is just freakin nuts. Even something like $10 mil for 2 years is too much IMO unless a lot of the contract is incentive based.
R.I.P. Prodigy
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2004
1553 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
sportsnet just said "20m for 2yrs".
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
39 upvotes
theinfamous wrote: $23 mil over 2 years for Thomas is just freakin nuts. Even something like $10 mil for 2 years is too much IMO unless a lot of the contract is incentive based.
It is nuts. Jays overpaid... what else is new.

2 for $10M? Thats even nuttier. Thomas is coming off a MVP-type season. DeRosa got $13M/3 and he was a career backup before the season.

Baseball has new contract standards... everything will seem nuts now.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7607 posts
7342 upvotes
We don't know how the incentives will factor into the contract. It's all speculation until then.

FT has some sick career numbers against The Big Unit and Mussina. Can't wait for him to feast on Yankee pitching.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5600 posts
2001 upvotes
Toronto
wow i am absolutely shocked... never saw this one coming.

the jays are really breaking the bank here. I'm surprised at all the big names they are able to attract...
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3560 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
i just hope we don't re-sign catalanatto, reed johnson needs to play and lind can be the 4th outfielder...hattig should also definately stick as an extra bat...
these guys need to their reps in the majors

i don't think we necessarily needed to sign frank thomas as our offense wasn't even the problem last yr....
it was lack of middle infielder to play with hill, and injuries to our starting staff...
could have used that money on a couple of starters and middle infielder instead all in the while giving lind and hattig AB at the DH position platooning.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
297 upvotes
Midland
I don't really care if they "overpaid" for Thomas (assuming they've signed him).
At least they have a top notch DH now.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5600 posts
2001 upvotes
Toronto
JP knows we need some starting pitching and a couple of middle infielders more than we needed a big bat... perhaps rogers has opened up their wallets more than expected?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
297 upvotes
Midland
Who knows, maybe this is a move that will lead to the trading of Vernon Wells.
Thomas certainly replaces Wells' batting statistics.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)