The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2024 1:12 am
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2478 posts
61 upvotes
Ottawa
The Jays have been such a poor organization since the back to back series wins. It astounds me how useless this team has been over the years. Don't get me wrong the only thing out of Toronto I do support are the Jays. I will say it is tougher to get into the playoffs in mlb but come one it's been years and years. The owners are spending enough that they should be able to get themselves in, I guess as well they are in a very tough division but when is it going to end? All that money and Riccardi still can't get it done...when is the club going to get rid of him?
"Sometimes I dig the dirty yet sweet oriental pong of this frag, but I wonder if it really makes sense to smell like I've hidden spice bags in all of my pockets?" ~basenotes.net
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5600 posts
2001 upvotes
Toronto
Diamondog wrote: The Jays have been such a poor organization since the back to back series wins. It astounds me how useless this team has been over the years. Don't get me wrong the only thing out of Toronto I do support are the Jays. I will say it is tougher to get into the playoffs in mlb but come one it's been years and years. The owners are spending enough that they should be able to get themselves in, I guess as well they are in a very tough division but when is it going to end? All that money and Riccardi still can't get it done...when is the club going to get rid of him?
If we had this kind of starting pitching last year, when we had our incredible offense, we'd have been a lock for the playoffs. Looking forward to big things next season. If we can shore up a solid #5 guy and our offense picks it up (and no major injuries like this season), we should be in good shape.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2736 posts
363 upvotes
i was at the game last night and really enjoyed it. good weather, although it got considerably colder as the night progressed. the first couple of inning were really fun to watch as there was lots of action and runs scored.

i love to go to the dome to catch a blue jays game cuz you can actually afford it, unlike the leafs.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2007
2328 posts
20 upvotes
smuncky wrote: i was at the game last night and really enjoyed it. good weather, although it got considerably colder as the night progressed. the first couple of inning were really fun to watch as there was lots of action and runs scored.

i love to go to the dome to catch a blue jays game cuz you can actually afford it, unlike the leafs.
different sport, different environment, different price.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7607 posts
7342 upvotes
Diamondog wrote: The Jays have been such a poor organization since the back to back series wins. It astounds me how useless this team has been over the years. Don't get me wrong the only thing out of Toronto I do support are the Jays. I will say it is tougher to get into the playoffs in mlb but come one it's been years and years. The owners are spending enough that they should be able to get themselves in, I guess as well they are in a very tough division but when is it going to end? All that money and Riccardi still can't get it done...when is the club going to get rid of him?
The Indians were hot in '05, kinda imploded in '06, but they're back in the WC hunt in '07. I don't really mind an off year for the Jays.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2478 posts
61 upvotes
Ottawa
Madchester wrote: The Indians were hot in '05, kinda imploded in '06, but they're back in the WC hunt in '07. I don't really mind an off year for the Jays.
An off year? When's the last time they made the playoffs? You have had an off year every single year if you can't make the post season!
"Sometimes I dig the dirty yet sweet oriental pong of this frag, but I wonder if it really makes sense to smell like I've hidden spice bags in all of my pockets?" ~basenotes.net
Deal Guru
Sep 7, 2006
13960 posts
93 upvotes
Kuala Lumpur, MY
smuncky wrote: i was at the game last night and really enjoyed it. good weather, although it got considerably colder as the night progressed. the first couple of inning were really fun to watch as there was lots of action and runs scored.

ricebowl wrote: different sport, different environment, different price.
i'd prefer going to a couple of jays games rather than going to one leafs game.. i like to watch hockey and i know it's a different environment, but i get entertained watching both sports and the price of one leafs ticket, in which the game lasts about 2-3 hours, could get me into 3-4 jays games (and in pretty good seats too) and the games altogether would last 6-8 hours or even more.

besides, i find baseball more exciting because even if you're down a few runs anything can happen. coming back from like.. 3 goals down in hockey after the 2nd period doesn't happen as often as baseball teams coming back from a few runs. but that's just my opinion. it's really hard to actually compare the two and say which is better because both environments are unique in their own ways. unfortunately i've never been to a leafs game at the ACC, but i've gone down to HSBC to watch the sabres play the leafs before.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12163 posts
5613 upvotes
Ottawa
Diamondog wrote: An off year? When's the last time they made the playoffs? You have had an off year every single year if you can't make the post season!
That's right, the Jays have not made a playoff appearance since I came to Canada in 1994 and that's pretty sad my man

Another disappointing season for a long-suffering Jays fan. I will gradually tune it out now that the football season (both college and NFL) is just around the corner
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7607 posts
7342 upvotes
A lot of Jays fans have unrealistic expectations. lol.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23680 posts
5122 upvotes
Niagara Falls
It would be nice if the MLB would open up the playoffs. Even if the first round was a best out of 5 or 3.
Deal Guru
Sep 7, 2006
13960 posts
93 upvotes
Kuala Lumpur, MY
Madchester wrote: A lot of Jays fans have unrealistic expectations. lol.
expecting the jays to reach the playoffs is "unrealistic"? expecting the jays to have a season without so many injuries is "unrealistic"?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7607 posts
7342 upvotes
skyblue12 wrote: expecting the jays to reach the playoffs is "unrealistic"? expecting the jays to have a season without so many injuries is "unrealistic"?
Barring an MLB style Munich Air Disaster for the division leaders, playoffs are rather unlikely for this year.

As a kid I was spoiled by the Jays teams of the early 90s, but I'm more realistic about the team's results given the current MLB environment. People expect too much from the team.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2006
6424 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto
jays are poop...another season.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2478 posts
61 upvotes
Ottawa
Madchester wrote: People expect too much from the team.
Yes making the playoffs once in 13 years is asking far too much! :confused:
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
297 upvotes
Midland
Diamondog wrote: Yes making the playoffs once in 13 years is asking far too much! :confused:
At least we were world champions for 2 years. The Expos never did that.
The problem is New York and Boston; they've got so much money to throw around that it's hard to compete.
The Blue Jays could still get the wild card spot, but they'd have to go on a big run and have the other few teams ahead of them (New York, Cleveland and Seattle) falter a bit.
Even if they don't make it to the post-season, the number of good, young pitchers they have is incredible. They just need to do a bit more tinkering - perhaps a third baseman and an outfielder. I'm not really impressed by Vernon Wells as a leader, they need to bring in a good player who will pull the team up to a higher level by his play and by his leadership off the field.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge
Deal Guru
Sep 7, 2006
13960 posts
93 upvotes
Kuala Lumpur, MY
gordholio wrote: At least we were world champions for 2 years. The Expos never did that.
The problem is New York and Boston; they've got so much money to throw around that it's hard to compete.
The Blue Jays could still get the wild card spot, but they'd have to go on a big run and have the other few teams ahead of them (New York, Cleveland and Seattle) falter a bit.
Even if they don't make it to the post-season, the number of good, young pitchers they have is incredible. They just need to do a bit more tinkering - perhaps a third baseman and an outfielder. I'm not really impressed by Vernon Wells as a leader, they need to bring in a good player who will pull the team up to a higher level by his play and by his leadership off the field.
vernon wells wasn't brought back to be a leader though.. he's a possible "candidate" as one, but this team has a couple of guys that can step up in the locker room and be a leader, like halladay and thomas.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7607 posts
7342 upvotes
Again, people are just really spoiled by the Jays success from like '85 to '93. The team hasn't hit the Indians level of WS futility, let alone that of the Cubbies. And it's not like the Jays have been going loss for loss with the 21st century Royals....

Personally, I'm just happy that TO has and will continue to have a MLB team for years to come. Winning the big one is just icing on the top.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 28, 2005
6409 posts
59 upvotes
Matt Stairs.
skyblue12 wrote: vernon wells wasn't brought back to be a leader though.. he's a possible "candidate" as one, but this team has a couple of guys that can step up in the locker room and be a leader, like halladay and thomas.
-
Deal Guru
Apr 6, 2005
11652 posts
2858 upvotes
Toronto
I blame management especially JP. He has no chemistry with our team. When our team was in the slumps last year he said on the FAN590 that if he wanted to get another job, he would get one in 2 seconds. I do this job "to win". Yea right...how many people did he designated for assignment?

1. Victor Zambrano
2. Tomo Ohka
3. Howie Clark
4. Royce Clayton
5. Sal Fasano (He'd be a great backup.. he helped doc with his cutter)
6. Josh Towers *shrugs but cleared waivers*
7. whos next?

Thats ALOT OF money he wasted which he could have used during the trade deadline to lock a deal thats not Michael Young for Esteban whats his face.
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
2478 posts
61 upvotes
Ottawa
Madchester wrote: Again, people are just really spoiled by the Jays success from like '85 to '93. The team hasn't hit the Indians level of WS futility, let alone that of the Cubbies. And it's not like the Jays have been going loss for loss with the 21st century Royals....

Personally, I'm just happy that TO has and will continue to have a MLB team for years to come. Winning the big one is just icing on the top.
Again no one is talking winning it all, we are simply talking about making the playoffs (big difference)....Are you JP Ricciardi? cuz your it's ok to continually produce a mediocre/sub mediocre team with middle of the road results is getting a little boring!