Sports & Recreation

The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2024 10:29 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
39 upvotes
gei wrote: JP knows we need some starting pitching and a couple of middle infielders more than we needed a big bat... perhaps rogers has opened up their wallets more than expected?
Blue Jays have kept that part really secretive this year unlike last year. If Ted did open up to a $100M, then I would be okay with this signing. If they are working at around $85-90, then this signing does not look too cost-efficient at this point. Could have gotten one overpriced pitcher with Thomas money.
gordholio wrote: Who knows, maybe this is a move that will lead to the trading of Vernon Wells.
Thomas certainly replaces Wells' batting statistics.
In power, yes but only when healthy. Average, speed, Wells is obviously better. And defense is not possible to compare. This to trading Vernon Wells? Maybe... but I think JP made this move keeping in mind Wells in 2007 in a playoff run. After that.... we'll see.

This signing might actually push Vernon's contract just because if Jays can pay $10M to a 38-year old DH injury-risk slugger, why can't they pay $15 or 16 for a 27-year old Gold Glover with MVP-caliber production?

Glaus btw has 2 more years at around $11-12 per year left with a full no-trade clause.

SoGood wrote: i just hope we don't re-sign catalanatto, reed johnson needs to play and lind can be the 4th outfielder...hattig should also definately stick as an extra bat...
these guys need to their reps in the majors

i don't think we necessarily needed to sign frank thomas as our offense wasn't even the problem last yr....
it was lack of middle infielder to play with hill, and injuries to our starting staff...
could have used that money on a couple of starters and middle infielder instead all in the while giving lind and hattig AB at the DH position platooning.

Cat is as good as gone now. Even without this signing, I think Cat wanted to play full-time and he deserves to. He's been nothing but great as a Blue Jay. I'm not so sure on keeping a hot prospect like Lind as a DH or as a backup, rather see them have one more year in AAA. Lind should develop his outfield skills in AAA in case Wells is gone. Hattig can be a decent backup to Glaus at 3B.

The offence became a problem when the pitching became healthy but Rios got injured and Glaus struggled mightily.

But put aside the financial and the pitching problems and imagine this lineup:

Johnson
Rios
Wells
Thomas
Glaus
Overbay
Catcher (Zaun?)
Hill
SS

That might not be the Bronx Bombers but it's very good. Overbay is possibly one of the most underrated players right now. Expect another all-star from Rios too. Hill can be a .300 hitter. Between 3-4-5-6, there can be 140 HRs. Plus, unless Yankees get two marquee starters, I feel Jays rotation is better than NYY assuming they sign two starters comparable to Lilly. Boston... that's a little tighter but their lineup is whacked.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7607 posts
7342 upvotes
Papa Rogers has a lot more in his coffers than most people expect.

I remember how the Jays signed Benji Molina 2 weeks before spring training. That signing was completely out of the blue, considering the earlier off-season deals for Glaus, Ryan, Overbay, and Burnett that seemed to have exhausted the Jays' resources.
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
9 upvotes
CA
I like JP's intention to make some noise now at the lower level FA. Judging by the reactions, this year's FA class will work like a cascade more than ever before. No one was gonna move in on Schmidt and Zito until the dust has fallen on Matsuzaka (which now it's pretty much settled); then Maddux and Glavine. Then there are the premium bats like Drew, Soriano, A. Ramirez (off market now), Carlos Lee. Then the lower tier Matthews Jr, Edmonds; then lower.

Realistically, I don't think the Jays will go after any of those guys so they might as well start early to snipe the less premium guys that the big guns are after. If Hurt is willing to DH and he's rested properly, he can still do damage. Oakland has proven that last year and I think he still has something left in his tank
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25307 posts
2524 upvotes
Markham, ON
gordholio wrote: Who knows, maybe this is a move that will lead to the trading of Vernon Wells.
Thomas certainly replaces Wells' batting statistics.
i think so too....Wells for some pitching
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7800 posts
1611 upvotes
Toronto
The big hurt sure would be a nice addition. But thats too expensive to pay for a player that wont be playing in those interleague games. And what IF we do make to the world series? How's he to play at the national league home games? PH??
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2006
4493 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
PCDawg wrote: The big hurt sure would be a nice addition. But thats too expensive to pay for a player that wont be playing in those interleague games. And what IF we do make to the world series? How's he to play at the national league home games? PH??
i guess he can learn how to catch?
I die every Monday at 7am and reborn Friday at 4pm
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2005
1192 posts
1 upvote
If the budget isn't capped at $90M, this would be a decent signing. If it is, JP may be stretching it a bit thin if he plans on . Hopefully, TBH's ankle problems are behind him. Good for Ted Rogers and his spending. It's good to know that the profits from my cable, cell phone and TV bill will be going into something I will appreciate as a Jays fan.

We do need to ink at least one solid starter, a decent 2B/SS and go after Vernon hard. Hopefully, the money is still there to do all of these things.
"There are no pacts between lions and men, and wolves and lambs have no concord." - Homer
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
39 upvotes
Tofu Drift Shinji wrote: If the budget isn't capped at $90M, this would be a decent signing. If it is, JP may be stretching it a bit thin if he plans on . Hopefully, TBH's ankle problems are behind him. Good for Ted Rogers and his spending. It's good to know that the profits from my cable, cell phone and TV bill will be going into something I will appreciate as a Jays fan.

We do need to ink at least one solid starter, a decent 2B/SS and go after Vernon hard. Hopefully, the money is still there to do all of these things.

Getting Thomas might let JP get a cheaper and defensively solid SS instead an all-around SS.

Looks like Jays have interest catcher Barajas. He's younger than Zaun but might ask for more money.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3560 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
i'd rather zaun instead of barajas....he knows our pitchers, very good hitter for a catcher, and a leader in the clubhouse...even if he will cost a bit more.
Deal Guru
Sep 7, 2006
13960 posts
93 upvotes
Kuala Lumpur, MY
SoGood wrote: i just hope we don't re-sign catalanatto, reed johnson needs to play and lind can be the 4th outfielder...hattig should also definately stick as an extra bat...
these guys need to their reps in the majors

i don't think we necessarily needed to sign frank thomas as our offense wasn't even the problem last yr....
it was lack of middle infielder to play with hill, and injuries to our starting staff...
could have used that money on a couple of starters and middle infielder instead all in the while giving lind and hattig AB at the DH position platooning.

catalanatto was one of our most clutch hitters last year every time i watched him bat with runners in scoring position he came through most of the time for us. i don't think there's any way he's going to come back 'cause i'm sure other teams are attracted to him but i think he was a great player for the jays. on the other hand i don't see lind or hattig playing in the majors just yet we brought them up to see how they would do in the majors near the end of the season but i don't think they're ready just yet. if we're able to resign wells thats a killer 3-4-5-6 with wells glaus thomas and overbay so imo we can keep mcdonald in the lineup for his defense and have him bat 9th.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7607 posts
7342 upvotes
The deal is official. 2yrs/18 million, with a $10 M option for Year 3. I think the option was what swayed Thomas to the Jays, b/c the Rangers were offering a basic $18M deal, no option.

2:30 press conference.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
39 upvotes
Madchester wrote: The deal is official. 2yrs/18 million, with a $10 M option for Year 3. I think the option was what swayed Thomas to the Jays, b/c the Rangers were offering a basic $18M deal, no option.

2:30 press conference.
I wonder what kind of option it is. Hopefully it is a team option with a small buyout or maybe a vested option. Player option would not be too good since the Hurt will be 41.

Jays should try the posting route and go after Kei Igawa.
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/arti ... &fext=.jsp

Jays should try to dip into the Asian market, it'll be good for the city and attendance.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7607 posts
7342 upvotes
the Sun has rumours of the team dangling Adams, Chacin and Johnson as trade bait.

Of the three, Johnson would have to get the most offers. I just have a bad feeling that he overachieved this season and it's probably time to trade him. Probably my favorite everyday player though....
Mar 15, 2006
639 posts
27 upvotes
If Frank Thomas produces like he did last season, he's going to have a crazy year because the Rogers Centre is such a hitters ballpark. If Wells resigns, that's going to be one big batter's lineup, Rios, Wells, Glaus, and now Thomas. Then you have guys that hit for averages like Reed, Cat, Hill, and Overbay.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
39 upvotes
Madchester wrote: the Sun has rumours of the team dangling Adams, Chacin and Johnson as trade bait.

Of the three, Johnson would have to get the most offers. I just have a bad feeling that he overachieved this season and it's probably time to trade him. Probably my favorite everyday player though....
The Jays might be dangling those three and others but I don't put the Sun high on my reliable list. No sources, just a sentence.

I can see Adams and Chacin, but I would think Johnson is so cost-efficient and a leadoff hitter the Jays haven't had since Shannon Stewart became to expensive to be kept. Unless JP plans on putting that load on Rios, I think moving Johnson would be unwise.

Chacin, well he's young earning peanuts. He's lefty and has done alright in his first two seasons. Jays need pitching so I doubt he gets move.

Jays really dont have much in trade bait. Don't want to keep trading those pitching prospects. Maybe trading a hot prospect in Lind for some immediate pitching? Just a thought... I wouldnt do it.
Apr 12, 2006
414 posts
96 upvotes
I think i might be the only one to not like this signing that much :confused: I thought the jays were only going for young talent (atleast thats wat it seemed last offseason) and IMO i think its kind of overpaying for a 38 year old...money that could be better spent on resigning wells and getting some more pitching?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
4288 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto
Any guesses on how long for Gibbons and Thomas to duke it out? Thats like a train-wreck waiting to happen.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 2 guests)

kenchau, 9394