for what it's worth I benched Folty in my fantasy league
"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4526 posts
495 upvotes
blexann wrote:
May 17th, 2017 8:07 pm
I've said it before, as good as Carrera is with the bat he's a butcher in the outfielder.
and at running bases - that was terrible, had he let up just a bit on that play it could have been bases loaded
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4778 posts
914 upvotes
Mississauga
I have always felt like Bautista struggled at the beginning of the season because he was too humble of sorts. Trying to not ruffle any feathers nor be polarizing. But that's not him.

He needs to be mad, he needs to be arrogant to do well. Tonight after the scuffle, boom, HR. Time and time again, the dude delivers when pissed. Just keep that going.

Plus, I need points for my pool, I refuse to bench Jose. Haha.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4778 posts
914 upvotes
Mississauga
blexann wrote:
May 17th, 2017 8:07 pm
I've said it before, as good as Carrera is with the bat he's a butcher in the outfielder.
I don't disagree, but Upton (the alternative) has yet to play a game, and won't even have a rehab stint until late June.

I would have liked to have seen them call Pompey up after Pearce went down on the DL.

EDIT: Scratch that, looks like Pompey only saw his first game of action a couple of days ago. Didn't know he was out that long.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4526 posts
495 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
May 18th, 2017 9:23 am
I don't disagree, but Upton (the alternative) has yet to play a game, and won't even have a rehab stint until late June.

I would have liked to have seen them call Pompey up after Pearce went down on the DL.

EDIT: Scratch that, looks like Pompey only saw his first game of action a couple of days ago. Didn't know he was out that long.
Agree that the alternatives are no better and yea Pompey hurt himself on a slide into 2nd base at the WBC - concussion. My concern, ever since Melky left, is that we really lack a good LF - an outfielder with above average on base and defense. I would love to see us make a push for Kyle Schwarber but I think it would take a Stroman to get him.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4778 posts
914 upvotes
Mississauga
blexann wrote:
May 18th, 2017 9:43 am
Agree that the alternatives are no better and yea Pompey hurt himself on a slide into 2nd base at the WBC - concussion. My concern, ever since Melky left, is that we really lack a good LF - an outfielder with above average on base and defense. I would love to see us make a push for Kyle Schwarber but I think it would take a Stroman to get him.
Oh man, Schwarber would be amazing. Kid is only 24 too. But yeah, it would cost a good young arm for sure - we only have Stroman, Sanchez, and Osuna that are young and appealing. But you need those three to have a respectable rotation and closer for future years when Happ and Estrada show signs of aging or should they choose to sign elsewhere.
Oct 22, 2012
522 posts
323 upvotes
I would never trade established young starting pitching for a established young bat when you do not have a farm system that will not produce a big league arm in 2 years. Young arms are way to volatile and seldom do you get one that comes up to the bigs and sticks. The arms that do come up possibly next year will probably have their arms babied and may never pitch more than 110 innings in the first year and possibly 150 the next year. It will not be until the 3rd year or so when teams loosen the reins and all them to go as far as they can. Don't get me wrong I like Schwarb but I like Stroman much much more :D
Power hitters (25 hr+) are a dime a dozen these days. How many pitchers will throw more than 220+ innings per year?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5970 posts
1272 upvotes
2 game suspension for that?
People have gotten too soft and way too sensitive. The MLB should just let them play on.

What was he suppose to say that would have been politically correct? "You obtuse player"?
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4588 posts
816 upvotes
Markham
XFactor11 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 5:18 pm
People have gotten too soft and way too sensitive. The MLB should just let them play on.

What was he suppose to say that would have been politically correct? "You obtuse player"?
Locker room talk is hard to get out of your head in the heat of a moment.

We live in a world of soft now where if there is one person who is offended, one has to pay a price and in some eyes it will never be enough.

Not fully up on the rules but I think the quick pitch was a balk. Were there any runners on base? I think hitters see this kind of deception as not "fair"... Kind of like a sucker punch move where he wasn't ready.

MLB definition.
A pitcher can also be called for a balk if he does not come to a complete stop between the time he enters the set position and delivers the ball, or if the umpire determines that the pitcher has tried to "quick-pitch" the batter in another way.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4778 posts
914 upvotes
Mississauga
gr8dlr wrote:
May 18th, 2017 5:46 pm
Locker room talk is hard to get out of your head in the heat of a moment.

We live in a world of soft now where if there is one person who is offended, one has to pay a price and in some eyes it will never be enough.

Not fully up on the rules but I think the quick pitch was a balk. Were there any runners on base? I think hitters see this kind of deception as not "fair"... Kind of like a sucker punch move where he wasn't ready.

MLB definition.
A pitcher can also be called for a balk if he does not come to a complete stop between the time he enters the set position and delivers the ball, or if the umpire determines that the pitcher has tried to "quick-pitch" the batter in another way.
There was no one on-base.

Nothing wrong with a Quick Pitch, as it's exactly that, a quick pitch. An illegal motion, would have resulted in the umpiring rewarding the batter first base. Our guys quick pitch as well. There was one game where Stroman executed a quick pitch twice, and in my opinion, the batter was ready, however, the umpire didn't see it that way, and the batter was awarded first base.

But point being, it's very much a part of the game. Many pitchers quick pitch, including ours. There was simply no basis for Pillar to be upset about it.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4778 posts
914 upvotes
Mississauga
XFactor11 wrote:
May 18th, 2017 5:18 pm

To be clear, this is the team suspending him for two games, not the MLB. The team suspended Yunel Escobar back then for three games, not the MLB.

The Yunel Escobar incident legitimately should have been more games by comparison to incidents before that, however, because the team themselves voluntarily suspended the player, the league viewed it with more leniency and saw no need to suspend further, although it can choose to do so.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4526 posts
495 upvotes
The quick pitch was not the issue as there were 0 runners on base, problem is the batter needs to be set and ready (not just in the box). Ump missed it

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)