The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2017 4:39 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4220 posts
392 upvotes
The pitcher makes an illegal pitch;
Rule 8.05(e) Comment: A quick pitch is an illegal pitch. Umpires will judge a quick pitch as
one delivered before the batter is reasonably set in the batter’s box
. With runners on base the penalty is
a balk; with no runners on base, it is a ball. The quick pitch is dangerous and should not be permitted.

^ I believe that's what Pillar was upset about
I don't do downvotes but feel free to downvote me.👎

Fantasy Baseball players, I have 2 openings in a 30 team Dynasty league - contact me for details.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4220 posts
392 upvotes
...looking at the replay again Pillar was clearly ready and set for the pitch. It was not a quick pitch.

Fantasy Baseball players, I have 2 openings in a 30 team Dynasty league - contact me for details.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4220 posts
392 upvotes
Ogata wrote:
May 18th, 2017 8:22 pm
Ceciliani on the dl haahhah who do you call up now..
dj smith can play CF and he was called up in time for this game

Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4605 posts
846 upvotes
Mississauga
Too bad I don't get points for Stroman's hitting in my pool. Only his pitching. :( haha.
Jun 13, 2010
995 posts
53 upvotes
Ogata wrote:
May 18th, 2017 9:25 pm
Finally a Blue Jays Pitcher to hit a hr since..
..??
Mark Hendrickson.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
6892 posts
983 upvotes
Ajax
Don't piss these Jays off. Last year around this time JB had the flareup with Odour. came back from Texas and gave up something like 30 runs to Tampa and then took off. Hopefully more of the same this year.
BTW, the Rockies were 17-25 on May 18th 2007 and went on to make the playoffs with 90 wins.
Jan 16, 2017
36 posts
5 upvotes
I was supposed to write down my notes yesterday, but because of the rain delay and the game ending late, I fell asleep on the couch in the 7th inning. Well, I will write it down anyways.

* Jose Bautista - MLB's greatest villain.Smiling Face With Sunglasses
* Blue Jays scored only 9 runs yesterday and not 10. :facepalm:
* Luke Maille - the email man delivers a homerun.Smiling Face With Sunglasses
* Marcus Stroman - the Blue Jays best two way player. Pitches good and jacks homeruns with the team's highest batting average.Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
4481 posts
768 upvotes
Markham
kenchau wrote:
May 18th, 2017 6:02 pm
There was no one on-base.

Nothing wrong with a Quick Pitch, as it's exactly that, a quick pitch. An illegal motion, would have resulted in the umpiring rewarding the batter first base. Our guys quick pitch as well. There was one game where Stroman executed a quick pitch twice, and in my opinion, the batter was ready, however, the umpire didn't see it that way, and the batter was awarded first base.

But point being, it's very much a part of the game. Many pitchers quick pitch, including ours. There was simply no basis for Pillar to be upset about it.
So Ump can reward the batter first base? or just call for a re-pitch?

There's a line there which I think needs to be better defined as a pitcher can pitch in theory as soon as the batter has two feet in the box then.

I think this comes down to sportsmanship....you don't pitch when the guy isn't ready, just like in tennis. It's one thing to change timing and another to put it into play when you're not ready. I think Pillar was peeved because he wasn't ready not because he got quick pitched. If umps don't reward a "re-pitch" there will be more unsportsmanlike blurring of the line in the future.

I'm finding more and more sports are getting into playing head games now instead of the "old school" gentlemen's game.

Examples.
Football, they call timeout to "ice" the kicker just as the play is about to go down. New rule, you have to call a timeout before the kicker assumes his "starting" position.

Would it be fair to call time out just as you see the NBA player cock his wrist before he shoots a free throw. Perhaps a rule that says you have to call timeout before he positions himself at the line.

In tennis, some players intentionally take too long to get in position to receive serve to throw off timing of the server.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4220 posts
392 upvotes
blexann wrote:
May 18th, 2017 6:54 pm
The pitcher makes an illegal pitch;
Rule 8.05(e) Comment: A quick pitch is an illegal pitch. Umpires will judge a quick pitch as
one delivered before the batter is reasonably set in the batter’s box
. With runners on base the penalty is
a balk; with no runners on base, it is a ball. The quick pitch is dangerous and should not be permitted.

^ I believe that's what Pillar was upset about

Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4605 posts
846 upvotes
Mississauga
gr8dlr wrote:
May 19th, 2017 9:53 am
So Ump can reward the batter first base? or just call for a re-pitch?

There's a line there which I think needs to be better defined as a pitcher can pitch in theory as soon as the batter has two feet in the box then.

I think this comes down to sportsmanship....you don't pitch when the guy isn't ready, just like in tennis. It's one thing to change timing and another to put it into play when you're not ready. I think Pillar was peeved because he wasn't ready not because he got quick pitched. If umps don't reward a "re-pitch" there will be more unsportsmanlike blurring of the line in the future.

I'm finding more and more sports are getting into playing head games now instead of the "old school" gentlemen's game.

Examples.
Football, they call timeout to "ice" the kicker just as the play is about to go down. New rule, you have to call a timeout before the kicker assumes his "starting" position.

Would it be fair to call time out just as you see the NBA player cock his wrist before he shoots a free throw. Perhaps a rule that says you have to call timeout before he positions himself at the line.

In tennis, some players intentionally take too long to get in position to receive serve to throw off timing of the server.
It's not just having two feet in the box. The hitter doesn't even get to leave the box after every pitch - only under certain circumstances. Once they are deemed in the ready position, which is a judgement based on them being in their stance with arms up and bat ready to go, and looking up at the pitcher and not moving - they are ready.

Also, it's not like the pitcher can just quickly toss the ball across the plate. They still have to go through the motions with a set position pause, before they wind up and throw and they can only start all the motions after the hitter has been set. The only difference between a quick pitch and a normal one, is the wind up is less exaggerated and leg kick is near non-existent, and the pause is not as long.

Finally, the pitcher can't even start those motions until the batter is set. It's not like the pitcher is winding up before the batter is set, and by the time they finish, the ball leaves their hands just after the batter is set. That's not what's happening. Whether they wait 1 second versus 5 seconds after the batter is ready, is a moot point - both are legal.

It's like driving and Stop signs. Some people seem to think there is a 3 second rule, but there isn't. The vehicle just has to be completely stopped for an instance. You can choose to wait for three seconds, but it doesn't mean the person stopping for 1 second is breaking the rule. So if you think of a quick pitch as the 1 second stop versus conventional pitch, which is the 3 second stop, that's the difference.
Jan 18, 2016
82 posts
8 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
kenchau wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:15 am
It's not just having two feet in the box. The hitter doesn't even get to leave the box after every pitch - only under certain circumstances. Once they are deemed in the ready position, which is a judgement based on them being in their stance with arms up and bat ready to go, and looking up at the pitcher and not moving - they are ready.

Also, it's not like the pitcher can just quickly toss the ball across the plate. They still have to go through the motions with a set position pause, before they wind up and throw and they can only start all the motions after the hitter has been set. The only difference between a quick pitch and a normal one, is the wind up is less exaggerated and leg kick is near non-existent, and the pause is not as long.

Finally, the pitcher can't even start those motions until the batter is set. It's not like the pitcher is winding up before the batter is set, and by the time they finish, the ball leaves their hands just after the batter is set. That's not what's happening. Whether they wait 1 second versus 5 seconds after the batter is ready, is a moot point - both are legal.

It's like driving and Stop signs. Some people seem to think there is a 3 second rule, but there isn't. The vehicle just has to be completely stopped for an instance. You can choose to wait for three seconds, but it doesn't mean the person stopping for 1 second is breaking the rule. So if you think of a quick pitch as the 1 second stop versus conventional pitch, which is the 3 second stop, that's the difference.
Nope, a quick pitch has nothing to do with the pitcher's timing. It has only to do with the batter being in the box, ready and aware. The batter does not 'come set' I don't know where you get that, most guys are always moving in the box. But awareness or readiness is a judgement call to be sure.

Stroman does a thing where he pauses in mid-delivery on one leg for the sole purpose of messing up a batters timing, Johnny Cueto does something similar. What Motte did was the same in that he altered his normal delivery to bring the pitch to the plate more quickly, this is not a quick pitch as defined however which is why Pillar quickly changed his tune after the game (unless you happen to be sceptical of his apology and believe he did it solely to mitigate the suspension he had coming).
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4605 posts
846 upvotes
Mississauga
twowood wrote:
May 19th, 2017 10:50 am
Nope, a quick pitch has nothing to do with the pitcher's timing. It has only to do with the batter being in the box, ready and aware. The batter does not 'come set' I don't know where you get that, most guys are always moving in the box. But awareness or readiness is a judgement call to be sure.

Stroman does a thing where he pauses in mid-delivery on one leg for the sole purpose of messing up a batters timing, Johnny Cueto does something similar. What Motte did was the same in that he altered his normal delivery to bring the pitch to the plate more quickly, this is not a quick pitch as defined however which is why Pillar quickly changed his tune after the game (unless you happen to be sceptical of his apology and believe he did it solely to mitigate the suspension he had coming).
When I say "quick pitch" I'm not using the term as defined in the MLB rules, which is how they define an illegal pitch made when the batter is not yet ready. I'm merely stating it as a relativity to a more conventionally timed pitching motion. If you read back, I already said, Pillar had no basis to complain as he was clearly set, before the pitch was made - everything was fine with that pitch.

And yes, of course a quick pitch has to do with the pitcher's timing. They are using an abbreviated leg kick and are not waiting as long before they start their wind up motion. That set pause is also quicker.

Furthermore, when a batter is set, they are no longer moving their feet and changing their stance and body elevation. They've already gotten into the crouched position and really, it's just their arms moving, and they might have a slight body sway (like Edwin does sometimes). But they're looking at the pitcher - they are set. That is what set means and that's how an umpire judges. Obviously, "not moving" is not to be taken literally.