Sports & Recreation

The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2017 12:22 am
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4321 posts
420 upvotes
Don't forget , Grilli isn't used much in high leverage situations any more. I think they had Osuna up and ready before the rain started. So it would have been Osuna first and then Grilli. (I fell a sleep between the 8th and 10th but I think that's how it happened)

my order
Osuna
Smith
Tepera
Barnes
Grilli

Bunting session today for all players..lol
I don't do downvotes but feel free to downvote me.👎

Fantasy Baseball players, I have 2 openings in a 30 team Dynasty league - contact me for details.
Mar 6, 2015
224 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Russell Martin keeps maturing in age; younger catchers are needed. Would recycling veteran catchers from another teams at the Triple-A level -- that includes independent league teams -- help?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4321 posts
420 upvotes
cybercavalier wrote:
May 20th, 2017 12:30 pm
Russell Martin keeps maturing in age; younger catchers are needed. Would recycling veteran catchers from another teams at the Triple-A level -- that includes independent league teams -- help?
That's how they got Luke Maile but don't expect to get a star most of these 'recycled vets' would be backups or stop gaps. We have 2 catching prospects that will be ready by 2018/2019 but unfortunately one can't hit (McGuire) and the other has suffered multiple shoulder injuries (Pentecost) and will probably be a DH/LF - so the cupboard is bare.

Fantasy Baseball players, I have 2 openings in a 30 team Dynasty league - contact me for details.
Mar 6, 2015
224 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
blexann wrote:
May 20th, 2017 12:47 pm
The cupboard is bare.
If looking at recent Canada national baseball rosters is an effective way for picking recycled vets, then Torontonian age 34 George Kottaras is still a free agent.

Matured Triple-A Jays' catching vets who are free agents:
1) age 35 Guillermo Quiroz whom the Cleveland Indians release in March when spring training took place for teams
2) age 34 George Kottaras -- as noted above
3) age 29-30 former Red Sox -- the A's Ryan Lavarnway, the Giants' Tim Federowicz
4) age 31-31 RHB Jamie Romak -- as teammate of Kottaras.

When the Jays is using Chris Coghlan as LF/3B, is Romak better than Coghlan? Romak hits homeruns and covers LF/RF/3B/1B. For catching, getting Federowicz to Buffalo is not going to cost much. Salty's release and latter re-signing tells us about his hitting performance. How about taking a flyer or two on veteran Federowicz et al. who are still capable than relying on Maile and Ohlman to contribute. Meanwhile, the Bisons in Buffalo is reaping the rewards of few catchers working on their hitting -- they hit well and they are likely to go north.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4321 posts
420 upvotes
cybercavalier wrote:
May 20th, 2017 1:38 pm
If looking at recent Canada national baseball rosters is an effective way for picking recycled vets, then Torontonian age 34 George Kottaras is still a free agent.

Matured Triple-A Jays' catching vets who are free agents:
1) age 35 Guillermo Quiroz whom the Cleveland Indians release in March when spring training took place for teams
2) age 34 George Kottaras -- as noted above
3) age 29-30 former Red Sox -- the A's Ryan Lavarnway, the Giants' Tim Federowicz
4) age 31-31 RHB Jamie Romak -- as teammate of Kottaras.

When the Jays is using Chris Coghlan as LF/3B, is Romak better than Coghlan? Romak hits homeruns and covers LF/RF/3B/1B. For catching, getting Federowicz to Buffalo is not going to cost much. Salty's release and latter re-signing tells us about his hitting performance. How about taking a flyer or two on veteran Federowicz et al. who are still capable than relying on Maile and Ohlman to contribute. Meanwhile, the Bisons in Buffalo is reaping the rewards of few catchers working on their hitting -- they hit well and they are likely to go north.
What problem are you attempting to solve?

Unless Martin's shoulder issue ends up being a season ending injury , he will be the starter and Maile a back-up. Although Maile can't hit he's a very good receiver and pitchers seem comfortable with him.

Mar 6, 2015
224 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
blexann wrote:
May 20th, 2017 1:55 pm
What problem are you attempting to solve? Unless Martin's shoulder issue ends up being a season ending injury , he will be the starter and Maile a back-up. Although Maile can't hit he's a very good receiver and pitchers seem comfortable with him.
I am trying to put more used cups in the cupboard for depth. Would you prefer Federowicz than Maile as a backup? For backup catching, the requirement is less and not about going to be a starter.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4681 posts
884 upvotes
Mississauga
cybercavalier wrote:
May 20th, 2017 3:16 pm
I am trying to put more used cups in the cupboard for depth. Would you prefer Federowicz than Maile as a backup? For backup catching, the requirement is less and not about going to be a starter.
While it's true that the requirement is less, I prefer my backup catcher stepping in, to be more defense-oriented than offense. I don't generally expect offense from 1 through 9 in the batting order anyways. There's so much that goes into catching besides defense and hitting - that rapport with the pitchers, building the trust, understanding how to pull those levers, and when to push and pull with each pitcher - he has clearly been a very receptive student to that aspect of his role with always having discussions with Martin to better understand the pitchers and the strategy. You have to appreciate that initiative.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4321 posts
420 upvotes
Maile has done a good enough job that it's not worth looking at alternatives. Federowicz won't be an upgrade.

Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4321 posts
420 upvotes
Ogata wrote:
May 20th, 2017 8:53 pm
Sanchez on the dl again... ugh
get out

Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4321 posts
420 upvotes
Safe to say, and as I expected, JB is back

Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4321 posts
420 upvotes
blexann wrote:
May 20th, 2017 10:12 pm
Safe to say, and as I expected, JB is back
Who ever downvoted this come on here and we can debate, in the open, the star that is Jose Bautista.

Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
6933 posts
995 upvotes
Ajax
What a dominant performance by Estrada, was like 2015 when he was doing this on regular basis. Sweetest were the strikeouts of Davis, Machado and Trumbo after Jones was on base.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4321 posts
420 upvotes
Asking a little too much from Biagini. going from a reliever to a starter is not an easy thing especially so since he was never stretched out.