Sports & Recreation

The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2017 8:02 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4772 posts
913 upvotes
Mississauga
Some teams interested in JA Happ, one of which, includes the Milwaukee Brewers, who had tried to make a trade for Jose Quintana, and are now setting their sites on Sonny Gray, as well as, Happ because he's signed through 2018.

Milwaukee Brewers have one of the top farm systems right now. I know the Jays want to compete both this year and next, but I think they should really consider picking up some prospects with such an opportunity given the fact that Happ is already going to be 35 years old (this Fall).

Only thing is, that effectively only leaves you with Stroman and Sanchez as reliable starters, given Estrada's and Liriano's struggles this season.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4508 posts
491 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 9:11 pm
Some teams interested in JA Happ, one of which, includes the Milwaukee Brewers, who had tried to make a trade for Jose Quintana, and are now setting their sites on Sonny Gray, as well as, Happ because he's signed through 2018.

Milwaukee Brewers have one of the top farm systems right now. I know the Jays want to compete both this year and next, but I think they should really consider picking up some prospects with such an opportunity given the fact that Happ is already going to be 35 years old (this Fall).

Only thing is, that effectively only leaves you with Stroman and Sanchez as reliable starters, given Estrada's and Liriano's struggles this season.
I agree on Happ and he would return the most...similar to what the White Sox got for Quintana - not quite Jimenez but something close. If the Brewers are comparing Happ to Gray it's a no brainer, Gray has way more upside but he hasn't shown it yet, despite pitching in Oakland, Happ has been very consistent plus there's a little more control with Happ.
"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 22, 2012
522 posts
323 upvotes
Projected Starting Line up 2018 assuming the bluejays do not resign their impending FA's

C = Martin - 2020 FA
1B = Smoak - 2020 FA
2B = Devon Travis - 2021
3B = Donaldson - 2019
SS = Tulo - 2021 club option/buyout
LF = Pearce - 2019 FA
CF = Pillar - 2021 FA
RF = Carrera - 2020 FA
DH = K Morales - 2020 FA

P1 = Stroman - 2021 FA
P2 = Happ - 2019 FA
P3 = A Sanchez - 2021 FA
P4 = J Biagini? - 2022 FA
P5 = Bolsinger? - 2022 FA

Closer = Osuna 2021 FA

Assuming...
1) Donaldson and Happ are traded the jays
2) The prospects they receive in return are not ML ready until 2019
3) The Bluejays are unable to sign a 2018 FA with significant value (JD Martinez or Better)

Can you say screwed until 2020? Lol
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
6960 posts
1019 upvotes
Ajax
blexann wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 4:05 pm
he's not playing regularly
Thank god he is not playing more. Can't throw the ball over to 2nd, without bouncing it. They were running on him on will, can see why the Cubs got rid of him.
Hopefully, Maily is on the mend and this experiment is over soon. Torture to see him behind the plate.

Today's result is exactly what I was thinking a couple of days back, have Happ or Stroman on the mound today and chances are 5 runs is enough to win.
At least I got to see the win on Friday and not today or especially yesterday's game in person.

And what's with not playing Smoak at first, considering he trotted him out for umpteen games a in row. He did have a 2 day break in there.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
1916 posts
99 upvotes
FlukeSkywalker wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 10:40 pm
Projected Starting Line up 2018 assuming the bluejays do not resign their impending FA's

C = Martin - 2020 FA
1B = Smoak - 2020 FA
2B = Devon Travis - 2021
3B = Donaldson - 2019
SS = Tulo - 2021 club option/buyout
LF = Pearce - 2019 FA
CF = Pillar - 2021 FA
RF = Carrera - 2020 FA
DH = K Morales - 2020 FA

P1 = Stroman - 2021 FA
P2 = Happ - 2019 FA
P3 = A Sanchez - 2021 FA
P4 = J Biagini? - 2022 FA
P5 = Bolsinger? - 2022 FA

Closer = Osuna 2021 FA

Assuming...
1) Donaldson and Happ are traded the jays
2) The prospects they receive in return are not ML ready until 2019
3) The Bluejays are unable to sign a 2018 FA with significant value (JD Martinez or Better)

Can you say screwed until 2020? Lol
It's time to rebuild. The window closed fast on the Jays. We should load up the farm with Donaldson, Happ and Smoak trades. Won't get much for Loriano and Estrada though.
signature removed for rule violations - no referrals allowed
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4508 posts
491 upvotes
Wilmega wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:09 am
It's time to rebuild. The window closed fast on the Jays. We should load up the farm with Donaldson, Happ and Smoak trades. Won't get much for Loriano and Estrada though.
Big test coming up for Atkins and Shapiro. Will be interesting to see how they spin whatever moves are coming - if any. Remember this is a very fickle baseball fan base and we are a rebuild away from June 2015 attendance levels of 15K-20K.

Here's what I would do. A complete re-build is very difficult and it means not missing on the prospects that we get in return so this route is risky. Team is still very good with some elite hitters, the one player that would return the greatest assets is Happ. He's is Quintana like and could probably attract a similar return (a top 100 prospect, Jimenez who the White Sox got is a top 10 prospect).


..then there's the Rogers factor
"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
FlukeSkywalker wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 10:40 pm
Projected Starting Line up 2018 assuming the bluejays do not resign their impending FA's

C = Martin - 2020 FA
1B = Smoak - 2020 FA
2B = Devon Travis - 2021
3B = Donaldson - 2019
SS = Tulo - 2021 club option/buyout
LF = Pearce - 2019 FA
CF = Pillar - 2021 FA
RF = Carrera - 2020 FA
DH = K Morales - 2020 FA

P1 = Stroman - 2021 FA
P2 = Happ - 2019 FA
P3 = A Sanchez - 2021 FA
P4 = J Biagini? - 2022 FA
P5 = Bolsinger? - 2022 FA

Closer = Osuna 2021 FA

Assuming...
1) Donaldson and Happ are traded the jays
2) The prospects they receive in return are not ML ready until 2019
3) The Bluejays are unable to sign a 2018 FA with significant value (JD Martinez or Better)

Can you say screwed until 2020? Lol
yawn....need to bring in 1 or 2 new people to keep the attendance up. Create some excitement.
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
1916 posts
99 upvotes
blexann wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 9:32 am
Big test coming up for Atkins and Shapiro. Will be interesting to see how they spin whatever moves are coming - if any. Remember this is a very fickle baseball fan base and we are a rebuild away from June 2015 attendance levels of 15K-20K.

Here's what I would do. A complete re-build is very difficult and it means not missing on the prospects that we get in return so this route is risky. Team is still very good with some elite hitters, the one player that would return the greatest assets is Happ. He's is Quintana like and could probably attract a similar return (a top 100 prospect, Jimenez who the White Sox got is a top 10 prospect).


..then there's the Rogers factor
I think we can do a quick rebuild (2-3 years) if Atkins and Shapiro don't hold on their aging vets too long. The Yankees got so much in return last year and the White Sox so far too.
signature removed for rule violations - no referrals allowed
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4508 posts
491 upvotes
Wilmega wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 11:01 am
I think we can do a quick rebuild (2-3 years) if Atkins and Shapiro don't hold on their aging vets too long. The Yankees got so much in return last year and the White Sox so far too.
Careful with that thinking. The Yankees recent success has nothing to do with their rebuild. The prospects that the Yankees got in return have not yet contributed at the MLB level. Aaron Judge and Gary Sanchez were drafted by the Yankees and not related to trades. I do agree they can rebuild it in 2 - 3 years if fans are willing to wait. In 2020 we will also have Vlad jr. and Bichette in the lineup as well however there's never any guarantees with prospects it's why teams try and load up and hope they hit on a few.
"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4772 posts
913 upvotes
Mississauga
blexann wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 11:20 am
Careful with that thinking. The Yankees recent success has nothing to do with their rebuild. The prospects that the Yankees got in return have not yet contributed at the MLB level. Aaron Judge and Gary Sanchez were drafted by the Yankees and not related to trades. I do agree they can rebuild it in 2 - 3 years if fans are willing to wait. In 2020 we will also have Vlad jr. and Bichette in the lineup as well however there's never any guarantees with prospects it's why teams try and load up and hope they hit on a few.
Exactly. They don't all turn out to be an Aaron Judge or a Gary Sanchez. There were some who had great debuts last year from their first callups in mid-season throughout to the end of the year, only to stink up the joint so far this season. I should know because I have some of these players in my Fantasy Baseball pool, and had to drop them lol. They're probably still great players from a defensive standpoint, but got me nothing from offensive points perspective.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5961 posts
1269 upvotes
Gibbons' substitution logic is very flawed.
Goins had two hits in yesterday's game (2-for-2). Gibbons elects to pinch hit Darwin Barney for Goins simply
because the pitcher that was brought in by the Tigers was a left-hander.

Barney proceeded to strike out looking on a borderline pitch he should have swung at and grounded out to short the at-bat after that.

Gibbon's also does this with his pitching matchups out of the bullpen. Aaron Loup is a lefty that has been awful against left handed batters this year but
Gibbons still brings him in to pitch against lefties. Loup usually faces one left handed batter and gives up a hit. Then he gets the hook out of the game after that.

It is reminiscent of this:

Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4508 posts
491 upvotes
Dan Shullman just compared Stroman to Pedroia and Altuve, I never thought to make that connection but it makes so much sense, too short, too small can make it. Oh Yea. Pedroia and Altuve play hard, harder then most players. Stroman is now in that class
"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Jr. Member
Oct 25, 2010
129 posts
20 upvotes
After Pedroia won ROY, followed by MVP.. it was pretty much noted by the baseball world. But even before then, Eckstein.
The Red Sox roster has quite a few small/short guys (5'10" and shorter): JBJ, Betts, Benintendi, Holt, Vasquez, Leon, Pedroia.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5961 posts
1269 upvotes
Gibbons sends in a pinch runner for Smoak who is on 3rd base with nobody out...
Smoak would have been likely due up to bat again in the 9th inning...


Last edited by XFactor11 on Jul 17th, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top