Sports & Recreation

The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 11:23 am
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4083 posts
334 upvotes
Messing with Biagini like they did was not smart. I don't know of any relievers that were successfully converted to a starter after the start of the season. There have been some that were stretched out in spring and then were put in the rotation from the beginning of the season. He just doesn't look right - tired ..or whatever.

I think Smith would have gotten us out of that mess
I don't do downvotes but feel free to downvote me.👎

Fantasy Baseball players, I have 2 openings in a 30 team Dynasty league - contact me for details.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4516 posts
807 upvotes
Mississauga
blexann wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 1:57 pm
Messing with Biagini like they did was not smart. I don't know of any relievers that were successfully converted to a starter after the start of the season. There have been some that were stretched out in spring and then were put in the rotation from the beginning of the season. He just doesn't look right - tired ..or whatever.

I think Smith would have gotten us out of that mess
Nevermind that...have you snatched up Rafael Devers and Amed Rosario in your Fantasy Pool. I want to pick them up from free agency, but tough decision of who to let go from my current rosters haha. Rosario gets the call up today. Devers' limited showing has been stellar thus far.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4083 posts
334 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 2:07 pm
Nevermind that...have you snatched up Rafael Devers and Amed Rosario in your Fantasy Pool. I want to pick them up from free agency, but tough decision of who to let go from my current rosters haha. Rosario gets the call up today. Devers' limited showing has been stellar thus far.
Rosario is a stud but the Mets have been screwing around with him by holding him back in the minors...finally getting the call. I play in deep leagues so unless I drafted those players they wont be available to pick up. both players are going to be very good so for this season its a matter of which one gets playing time.

Fantasy Baseball players, I have 2 openings in a 30 team Dynasty league - contact me for details.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
24383 posts
5239 upvotes
GTHA
XFactor11 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 11:11 pm
suna has an ERA over 6 and 3 blown saves in his last 6 appearances.
No need to be concerned with Osuna, just a few bad appearances.

“Joe was definitely off a little bit with the strike zone. But Osuna, they bled him to death and got some key hits,” manager John Gibbons said. “I don’t think he was necessarily off, they just found some holes and had some good at-bats.”
from http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Baseball/MLB ... 41998.html

He wasn't exactly knocked around the park, but three singles and a HBP were enough to doom Osuna tonight. His velocity is down some at the moment, so it's worth wondering if he's having some physical issues. Still, we wouldn't be quick to write him off. He went through a similar stretch in April and then turned untouchable for 2 1/2 months.
from http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 595&spln=1
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4083 posts
334 upvotes
Stro has a good fastball today, just need some run support.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5816 posts
1214 upvotes
Elite Sidearm Guy pitched the 7th and 8th innings for the Cleveland Indians today against the Red Sox.
Two scoreless innings by Joe Smith. Cleveland's closer (Cody Allen) blew it in the 9th.
Highway robbery for what the Jays got in return for Smith.

The Redsox, Yankees, and Rays made significant trades to improve and fortify their positions in the standings.
While Atkins is only doing favours for his old team.

The Jays have no reliable bullpen options if Osuna goes in a drought or has another anxiety breakdown.
Now that leaves Danny Barnes and Ryan Tepera as the most likely candidates for the 7th and 8th inning pitchers
that are called upon most often for the Jays.
bobcat99 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 1:49 pm
These were the first runs allowed by Biagini since the all star break 10 outings and 11 innings pitched .
Every closer goes through a rut of 3 or 4 games. (either that or it's some all star break curse). Craig Kimbrell blew 2 saves in 3 tries in July too.

Highly doubt it if Joe Smith would have pitched in a 6-1 game.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4083 posts
334 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 11:46 pm
Buck Martinez was disappointed with Stromans' attitude when Buck thought the broadcast was off-air
during the technical difficulties.

https://streamable.com/dp9fz
To talk about our ace like that Buck is a goof. Thank you for posting this. The media will eventually run him out of town, see also Griffins article a few weeks back talking shit about Stroman.

Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4516 posts
807 upvotes
Mississauga
XFactor11 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 10:45 pm
Elite Sidearm Guy pitched the 7th and 8th innings for the Cleveland Indians today against the Red Sox.
Two scoreless innings by Joe Smith. Cleveland's closer (Cody Allen) blew it in the 9th.

The Redsox, Yankees, and Rays made significant trades to improve and fortify their positions in the standings.

The Jays have no reliable bullpen options if Osuna goes in a drought or has another anxiety breakdown.
Now that leaves Danny Barnes and Ryan Tepera as the most likely candidates for the 7th and 8th inning pitchers
Boston's relief pick ups blew it tonight as well, as did Kimbrel.

Also, this season's done folks. You may think we're only a little more than half way through the season, given the all-star week was just a few weeks ago.

But, we have already played 107 games. Currently at 50 wins. Sure you could say we're just 8.5 games back of first in our division. But ignore that, and let's just say you need 90 wins for the division (even though you actually need more than 90), they have to go 40-15 - not going to happen.

For the Wildcard you say? Well let's say 88 wins, then you're looking at going 38-17 - still not going to happen.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
6800 posts
946 upvotes
Ajax
XFactor11 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 10:45 pm

I wasn't debating whether Joe Smith is good or not, just saying he won't have come in a 6-1 game, maybe when it was 6-4 though.
There was nothing wrong with putting Biagini in that situation, he has been their best reliever since the break.
With a base open they should have pitched to Sanchez instead rather than Davidson.
What's the deal with half the Sox wearing glasses (well 3 or 4), even Lowrie had them when he played there.

I don't get the Smith trade either, considering they got 2 lower tier prospects. I know his mother is not well but has it come down to doing this to your fans.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4083 posts
334 upvotes
To me the deals signaled (to the fans and players) that they are throwing in the towel. Listen to the Happ and Smith interviews after the deals...both mentioned - I'm paraphrasing - "...playing out the season..". Smith said something to the effect '"..jays are pretty much out of it.."

Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5816 posts
1214 upvotes
Noodle arm left with a groin pull injury after fielding a tapper towards the mound.
The runner beat the throw to first of course.

Interestingly, Montero is the slowest runner on the team.
The league average for sprint speed is 27.0. Most of the Jays are below that average.

Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
24383 posts
5239 upvotes
GTHA
With the trade deadline come and gone, CityNews Danielle Michaud checks in with Jays Radio Announcer Mike Wilner on the future of the Toronto Blue Jays.

Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
6800 posts
946 upvotes
Ajax
kenchau wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 11:57 pm
Boston's relief pick ups blew it tonight as well, as did Kimbrel.

Also, this season's done folks. You may think we're only a little more than half way through the season, given the all-star week was just a few weeks ago.

But, we have already played 107 games. Currently at 50 wins. Sure you could say we're just 8.5 games back of first in our division. But ignore that, and let's just say you need 90 wins for the division (even though you actually need more than 90), they have to go 40-15 - not going to happen.

For the Wildcard you say? Well let's say 88 wins, then you're looking at going 38-17 - still not going to happen.
Jays have gained 2 games in the WC in two days and tied one team in Texas, next to go past, Minnesota.
On July 30th Baltimore was 5.5 games back. Today they are 2.5 of the WC and they are being criticized for not getting rid of Zack Britton, why would you when you are within striking distance.

I really think that 85 might get the second WC as there is too much parity in the AL.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

FlukeSkywalker