• Nov 24th, 2017 10:48 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4786 posts
922 upvotes
Mississauga
toeknee89 wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 12:29 am
When I said all time I was referring to his career stats. Which puts him as one of the worst hitters with regular at bats EVER. Not just worst Jay. Also, you brought up a month small sample size where his OPS is 703, which is respectable, but you have to keep in mind that that is not his true talent. He's playing over his head and he's still barely a major league hitter. In comparison when Pillar was playing over his head he looked like a legitimate HOF for that short span.

Also, RISP is very situation and small sample size based. Not a repeatable skill.
The point is he has not been a regular everyday guy, like you're trying to say. Coming in for one plate appearance throughout the season does not constitute "regular at bats". He had less than 200 plate appearances in 2013, 2014, and 2016 - hardly "regular at bats".

Isn't it funny how in 2015 when he played more regularly, he batted .250/.318/.354 with 5 HRs and 45 RBIs over 428 plate appearances - walking about 10% of the time and striking out just under 20% of the time?

My numbers are to illustrate some of what he can do now, when he gets regular playing time, without not having to worry about when's the next time he'll get to play again. When Tulo was injured in the early part of the season, he was also hitting well. Now that Tulo is injured again, he's once again, hitting well.

Yes, the sample size is small, but that's because the period of time he's had, to be an everyday player, has been small.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to paint him as an amazing hitter, but I'm just saying, he's not one of the poorer hitters in the league nor on the team. He's more like average.

And I'll take him ahead of Barney, Refsnyder, and Travis...no caveats/qualifiers (like saying a healthy Travis because the reality is, the guy has been injured every season with us).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
6978 posts
1039 upvotes
Ajax
Primetyme wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 1:24 am
I'm guessing they want to look at Urena due to the situation at 2nd base and maybe even SS. Travis with his injury history and Tulo possibly trending downwards with his batting ability + health.

Nothing wrong with Saunders call-up. He could have his swing back and he's still only 30 - so not washed up yet. Even EE had to go down to the minors for a brief period early in his Jays career to right himself before he became EE.
They need an actual left fielder. If they want to go with Saunders in LF next year, rather just stay with Pearce and spend the money elsewhere. They can't have another DH type player.
Apr 14, 2017
203 posts
66 upvotes
DT Calgary
bobcat99 wrote:
Aug 31st, 2017 11:29 pm
Here is mine...lol
Looks like it was somewhere in the middle of our guesstimates.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4559 posts
525 upvotes
I don't get that.

0 outs, Urena on 1st with Carrera coming up. Have him bunt Urena into scoring position with JD coming up. Simple fundamental baseball.
"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
6978 posts
1039 upvotes
Ajax
Nice to be able to watch the games again without getting emotionally involved.
Osuna blows the save, no big deal, versus the one he blew in Houston or the Chicago one which was the final dagger.

Maybe they should have someone else closing on the weekends since he has blown 6 of his 9 saves on Saturday/Sunday.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4559 posts
525 upvotes
bobcat99 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 12:33 pm
Nice to be able to watch the games again without getting emotionally involved.
Osuna blows the save, no big deal, versus the one he blew in Houston or the Chicago one which was the final dagger.

Maybe they should have someone else closing on the weekends since he has blown 6 of his 9 saves on Saturday/Sunday.
Girardi removed Chapman from the closer role until he gets his act together. I don't get why Gibby doesn't do the same with Osuna just to give him a break
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
6978 posts
1039 upvotes
Ajax
blexann wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 1:30 pm
Girardi removed Chapman from the closer role until he gets his act together. I don't get why Gibby doesn't do the same with Osuna just to give him a break
I am not sure Gibbons holds his players accountable. Gibbons would never be able to remove a player in the first year of his contract making $20 or remove a veteran pitcher like CC (making $24 million) in the 3rd inning of a game.
Like Cito, he is loyal to a fault, especially to the guys who brought him here (in the playoffs). That's why they all love him.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5978 posts
1285 upvotes
Yet another blown save by Blowsuna.
Elite Sidearm Guy (Joe Smith) should have taken over the closer role if he was still on the team.
Cleveland is on the verge of 13 game winning streak.

Even some of the other options in the current Blue Jays bullpen like Tepera or Leone certainly would not have so many blown saves and losses post all-star break.

Last edited by XFactor11 on Sep 5th, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
6978 posts
1039 upvotes
Ajax
Just turned it on. Ok you pinch run for Saunders but not for JB. No one left to play RF or is Gibbons backs or Hale has learnt managing from Gibbons. Team needs a new direction.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4559 posts
525 upvotes
bobcat99 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 10:40 pm
Just turned it on. Ok you pinch run for Saunders but not for JB. No one left to play RF or is Gibbons backs or Hale has learnt managing from Gibbons. Team needs a new direction.
I think they had no one left for RF...(I asked the same thing)
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4786 posts
922 upvotes
Mississauga
bobcat99 wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 10:40 pm
blexann wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 10:41 pm
I think they had no one left for LF...(I asked the same thing)
To be fair, if it was Goins or someone else pinch running, I still think they might have been out. That was a rocket that Bradley Jr threw and it was directly in line and as perfect a one hopper as could be made.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)