• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2018 5:53 pm
Dec 26, 2003
956 posts
392 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
toeknee89 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 11:58 pm
What? That's not what I meant at all. I meant he shouldn't have been on those teams. Again, you could have replaced him with any replacement level player and no one would even blink an eye.

A couple pages back I also made a post regarding how he is one of the worst hitters in the history of the MLB with major playing time. It's mind boggling how he consistently makes the team out of spring training. He's cheap-ish and reliable to be a healthy body I guess... Laziness on management's part.
The argument of this is so flawed. Ryan Goins is making the league minimum and is a plus utility player who is playing because Devon Travis was injured. For league minimum, he's performed well in this situation being extremely clutch and providing elite level defence. If he was a replacement level player than we can swap him with anyone on the roster with the same result. What you are saying is you would rather have Darwin Barney or Rob Refsnyder in the lineup everyday instead of Goins? That makes zero sense.

I can't believe there's such a lengthy debate for the number 9 hitter in the lineup. Teams have won the World series with a lousy/average number 9 hitter. The problem with the offence this year was the decline of Bautista. You can't have your number 4 hitter with 65 RBI's, almost the same as Goins.
Fido
Koodo
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6608 posts
1201 upvotes
Mississauga
toeknee89 wrote:
What? That's not what I meant at all. I meant he shouldn't have been on those teams. Again, you could have replaced him with any replacement level player and no one would even blink an eye.

A couple pages back I also made a post regarding how he is one of the worst hitters in the history of the MLB with major playing time. It's mind boggling how he consistently makes the team out of spring training. He's cheap-ish and reliable to be a healthy body I guess... Laziness on management's part.
So you are saying management has been lazy keeping Goins on the team for the last 5 years. If it was the same management team for all the 5 years you could say Goins was a favorite of somebody in upper management but with 2 different management teams please explain.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
7766 posts
1602 upvotes
Most other teams would be all over Goins had he been waived at the start of the season for the, that's why he wasn't, Jays didn't want to risk losing him.
He had his 62 RBIs this year, but with regular playing time in 2015 he had 45, less games than this year.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
7766 posts
1602 upvotes
So the Sox now have 2 aces who can't win in the playoffs...nice to see.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1423 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
Ryan Goins is fine as a bench piece. Problem is that he gets too much time due to injures to other players. Knowing how fragile the Jays are they really need a quality utility back up that isn't a black hole on offence. Provided Nunez's injury is not that serious I'd like to see the Jays sign him. If he's too expensive I'd love to see them take a flyer on Jurickson Profar. He's still only 24 and has 2 more years of control. He plays strong defence, can play 3b, ss and 2b, has speed and pop. His floor would be Goins but his ceiling would be a solid/very good starter. Injuries have hurt him the last few years which would be a concern. I wonder if the Rangers would take a flyer on Pompey. Not as high an upside but the Rangers need OF prospects.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6117 posts
996 upvotes
jindogae wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 11:47 am
Ryan Goins is fine as a bench piece. Problem is that he gets too much time due to injures to other players. Knowing how fragile the Jays are they really need a quality utility back up that isn't a black hole on offence. Provided Nunez's injury is not that serious I'd like to see the Jays sign him. If he's too expensive I'd love to see them take a flyer on Jurickson Profar. He's still only 24 and has 2 more years of control. He plays strong defence, can play 3b, ss and 2b, has speed and pop. His floor would be Goins but his ceiling would be a solid/very good starter. Injuries have hurt him the last few years which would be a concern. I wonder if the Rangers would take a flyer on Pompey. Not as high an upside but the Rangers need OF prospects.
Profar for Pompey, I like that
________

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6608 posts
1201 upvotes
Mississauga
jindogae wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 11:47 am
We already have a second baseman that cant stay healthy (Travis) we don't need another one.
Jun 12, 2016
478 posts
153 upvotes
Mississauga
I hear that Altuve guy in Houston is pretty good. Wondering what kind of package it would take to trade for him.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6117 posts
996 upvotes
LauD14 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 10:37 pm
I hear that Altuve guy in Houston is pretty good. Wondering what kind of package it would take to trade for him.
haha. He's untouchable.
________

Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6117 posts
996 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 10:13 pm
We already have a second baseman that cant stay healthy (Travis) we don't need another one.
Profar would start for the Rangers but there's literally no room for him, he's also out of options so the Rangers risk losing him for nothing. Jays could probably get him fairly cheap - Rangers need pitching pretty badly and we have some guys. Atkins likes to buy low, well here it is.
________

Jun 12, 2016
478 posts
153 upvotes
Mississauga
blexann wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 10:38 pm
haha. He's untouchable.
I'm sure a package of Stro/Sanchez + Bichette/Guerrero + Reid-Foley/Greene will get their attention. Gotta give some to get MVP caliber.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6117 posts
996 upvotes
LauD14 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 10:52 pm
I'm sure a package of Stro/Sanchez + Bichette/Guerrero + Reid-Foley/Greene will get their attention. Gotta give some to get MVP caliber.
it's a non starter but I guess you can dream
________

Dec 26, 2003
956 posts
392 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
blexann wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 11:00 pm
it's a non starter but I guess you can dream
Yeah Altuve is a total bargain at $6 million a season and he has 2 years left with the Astros. Zero chance they trade him for next season especially after they made the playoffs. They'll be contenders next year too. It would be like the Jays trading Josh Donaldson after almost making World Series last year. PR nightmare with fans if Altuve traded. Maybe he'll be available in 2019 for trade before he becomes UFA.
Fido
Koodo
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6638 posts
1618 upvotes
I forget which Hockey player said it but "stats are like a bikini, it shows some good things but it does not show it all".
Goins does make frequent defensive plays that look like it would otherwise be at least an infield single.

The Cleveland Indians' chance of winning the World Series might have taken a serious hit. Edwin Encarnacion is injured with a serious ankle sprain
and there is no timetable for his return for this year's playoffs. He left the game on crutches and in a walking boot.

Encarnacion is the lead Homerun and RBI player on the Indians just like he was for the Jays last year.

toeknee89 wrote:

toeknee89 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2017 8:48 pm
He's actually not that good on defense. It's just a narrative from a couple years ago that people still stick to because they hear it all the time on the broadcast. He's defense was below replacement this year if I recall correctly.

Also, RISP stats and especially based loaded stats are very small sample size and selective. Even if they weren't, throughout his career he's only had 34PA with the bases loaded. While his stats are good in those situations I highly doubt they would stay like that if he got a reasonable amount of chances. Everything averages out in baseball. That's why all of his other stats in every other situation are roughly the same. He doesn't just magically become a better hitter because there are men on base etc

Also, keep in mind that in a year where he went crazy with RISP and somehow drove in 72RBI he still managed to be a below replacement player. This is during a somewhat career year...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6117 posts
996 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 4:16 pm
I forget which Hockey player said it but "stats are like a bikini, it shows some good things but it does not show it all".
Goins does make frequent defensive plays that look like it would otherwise be at least an infield single.

The Cleveland Indians' chance of winning the World Series might have taken a serious hit. Edwin Encarnacion is injured with a serious ankle sprain
and there is no timetable for his return for this year's playoffs. He left the game on crutches and in a walking boot.

Encarnacion is the lead Homerun and RBI player on the Indians just like he was for the Jays last year.
Yea hate to see EE go down like that, the Jay Bruce pick up is looking pretty good right now. Red sox are done
________