Sports & Recreation

The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 11:23 pm
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12736 posts
6257 upvotes
Blue24 wrote: I hate to state the obvious, but last year the Jays had Zimmer. This year the Red Sox have Zimmer. Coincidence? Thinking Face
That's Tapia. He is no longer with the Sox.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5910 upvotes
Tapia got DFA'd by the Redsox and signed by the Brewers.

Zimmer hit poorly in the Dodger's minor league AAA team and got DFA'd. The Redsox added him to their AAA club, where he continues to struggle batting. It is unlikely that he will get a call-up.

bobcat99 wrote: That's Tapia. He is no longer with the Sox.
Nov 19, 2006
682 posts
445 upvotes
Niagara
bobcat99 wrote: That's Tapia. He is no longer with the Sox.
Nah. I'm talking about Blue Jays legend Bradley "The Machine" Zimmer Slightly Smiling Face
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2012
5397 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
7:20 vs the AL East

Going to struggle to make a wild card and, let’s be honest, we don’t have the pitching to make a run. Add them that we have little to trade for pitching and it’s pretty obvious the season is done.

The question is - besides Chapman, what can the Jays send out at the deadline?
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
Had other better things to do with my time today.....this team smh
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2012
2063 posts
1232 upvotes
Manoah game just started and he's pitching against the Boston Affiliate AA team.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12392 posts
6573 upvotes
Vaughan
kenchau wrote: Duran holding a grudge, raking against the Jays this season. Stats are off the charts.
Prior to today's game. Duran batting .389 with a 1.254 OPS against the Jays this season.

Today: 5 for 5 with four doubles.

He will not forgive the Jays for allowing that inside the park grand slam.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5910 upvotes
Bo Bichette, Whit Merrifield, Kevin Gausman and Vladamir Guerrero Jr. are named to the all-star game as reserves:

Vlad Jr. does not deserve a spot there this year IMO.

Lourdes Gurriel Jr. named a reserve all-star for the National League:

Starters

AMERICAN LEAGUE

C: Jonah Heim (TEX)
1B: Yandy Díaz (TB)
2B: Marcus Semien (TEX)
3B: Josh Jung (TEX)
SS: Corey Seager (TEX)
OF: Mike Trout (LAA)
OF: Randy Arozarena (TB)
OF: Aaron Judge (NYY)
DH: Shohei Ohtani (LAA)

PITCHERS

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Félix Bautista, BAL (1st All-Star selection)
Yennier Cano, BAL (1st)
Luis Castillo *, SEA (3rd)
Emmanuel Clase ^, CLE (2nd)
Gerrit Cole, NYY (6th)
Nathan Eovaldi, TEX (2nd)
Kevin Gausman, TOR (2nd)
Sonny Gray , MIN (3rd)
Kenley Jansen *, BOS (4th)
Michael Lorenzen *, DET (1st)
Shane McClanahan, TB (2nd)
Shohei Ohtani, LAA (3rd)
Framber Valdez *, HOU (2nd)

RESERVES

Salvador Perez, KC (8th All-Star selection)
Adley Rutschman, BAL (1st)
Bo Bichette, TOR (2nd All-Star selection)
Vladimir Guerrero Jr. , TOR (3rd)
Whit Merrifield, TOR (3rd)

José Ramírez , CLE (5th)
Yordan Alvarez , HOU (2nd All-Star selection)
Adolis García, TEX (2nd)
Austin Hays, BAL (1st)
Luis Robert Jr., CWS (1st)
Brent Rooker, OAK (1st All-Star selection)

NATIONAL LEAGUE

NATIONAL LEAGUE

C: Sean Murphy (ATL)
1B: Freddie Freeman (LAD)
2B: Luis Arraez (MIA)
3B: Nolan Arenado (STL)
SS: Orlando Arcia (ATL)
OF: Ronald Acuña Jr. (ATL)
OF: Mookie Betts (LAD)
OF: Corbin Carroll (AZ)
DH: J.D. Martinez (LAD)

PITCHERS

Alexis Díaz, CIN (1st)
Camilo Doval , SF (1st)
Bryce Elder, ATL (1st)
Zac Gallen, AZ (1st)
Josiah Gray, WSH (1st)
Josh Hader, SD (5th)
Mitch Keller, PIT (1st)
Clayton Kershaw, LAD (10th)
Justin Steele, CHC (1st)
Spencer Strider, ATL (1st)
Marcus Stroman, CHC (2nd)
Devin Williams, MIL (2nd)

RESERVES
National League

Elias Díaz, COL (1st)
Will Smith, LAD (1st)
Ozzie Albies, ATL (3rd)
Pete Alonso, NYM (3rd)
Matt Olson, ATL (2nd)
Austin Riley, ATL (2nd)
Dansby Swanson, CHC (2nd)
Nick Castellanos, PHI (2nd)
Lourdes Gurriel Jr., AZ (1st)
Juan Soto, SD (3rd)
Jorge Soler, MIA (1st)
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12736 posts
6257 upvotes
kenchau wrote: Prior to today's game. Duran batting .389 with a 1.254 OPS against the Jays this season.

Today: 5 for 5 with four doubles.

He will not forgive the Jays for allowing that inside the park grand slam.
Wow, is that the same guy from last year's inside the park, bulked up like crazy.
Last edited by bobcat99 on Jul 3rd, 2023 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2012
2063 posts
1232 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote: Bo Bichette, Whit Merrifield, Kevin Gausman and Vladamir Guerrero Jr. are named to the all-star game as reserves:

Vlad Jr. does not deserve a spot there this year IMO.
Agree. Hell, If the Jays are still in it and if Cleveland is out of contention by mid July, would not mind if they trade Vlad jr and Kirk (or Jansen) to Cleveland for Josh Naylor (Canadian/lefty) , Bo Naylor (Canadian/lefty), Emmanuel Clase and James Karinchuk.
Nov 19, 2006
682 posts
445 upvotes
Niagara
silky28 wrote: 7:20 vs the AL East

Going to struggle to make a wild card and, let’s be honest, we don’t have the pitching to make a run. Add them that we have little to trade for pitching and it’s pretty obvious the season is done.

The question is - besides Chapman, what can the Jays send out at the deadline?
If the Jays sell, Chapman, Belt, and KK would have some value and are free agents next year. Whit would probably have some trade value as well and he is due for a massive pay bump next year as a mutual option that I doubt the Jays will agree to pick up.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2012
5397 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
Blue24 wrote: If the Jays sell, Chapman, Belt, and KK would have some value and are free agents next year. Whit would probably have some trade value as well and he is due for a massive pay bump next year as a mutual option that I doubt the Jays will agree to pick up.
I don’t think any team is going to make a significant trade for those guys. Chapman maybe but let’s be real here - he is not a season changing players. He is a, our 3b is out for the year type trade.
Nov 19, 2006
682 posts
445 upvotes
Niagara
silky28 wrote: I don’t think any team is going to make a significant trade for those guys. Chapman maybe but let’s be real here - he is not a season changing players. He is a, our 3b is out for the year type trade.
If the Jays sell, do you expect them to trade Bo, Vladdy, Springer etc.?

You asked who the Jays can send out in trades, not who would get them max return. Obviously the guys I listed are not getting back a package like Soto got last year. Just because a team is out of contention and sells at the deadline doesn't mean they will rip the team down to nothing.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
I just picked up some tickets on the secondary market (StubHub) for the Shohei Ohtani show at the end of the month at Rogers Centre. I'm not planning on getting seasons tickets or anything, but I'm just curious, what proportion of the 100 and 200 level infield seats go to seasons ticket holders? I can't check now, halfway through the season.

The reason I ask is because if you want more than 1 seat, it is impossible to get anything in the 100 or 200 level on the primary market (Ticketmaster), not even in outfield. I then checked a Red Sox game in September and for example there are groups of four seats available, but any such infield seat groups are at the back of the sections and there aren't that many. The closer infield seats are also almost all sold out, unless you are a single. There are plenty of 100 and 200 outfield seats available for the Red Sox game though.

BTW, I'm behind the times, but I just read the prices are massively increasing next year too. Ouch.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5910 upvotes
The seats in the outfield near the foul lines are going to be torn out and turned as part of phase 2 of the renovations after this season is over.

Those seats are not suitable for a baseball stadium because if you are in them, you have to turn your head the entire game to see what's going on at home plate because they are facing the wrong way.

Ohtani is the best player in the league right now, so there's no surprise that the seats will sell out faster than other ones on the calendar that take place around the Angels games.
EugW wrote: I just picked up some tickets on the secondary market (StubHub) for the Shohei Ohtani show at the end of the month at Rogers Centre. I'm not planning on getting seasons tickets or anything, but I'm just curious, what proportion of the 100 and 200 level infield seats go to seasons ticket holders? I can't check now, halfway through the season.

The reason I ask is because if you want more than 1 seat, it is impossible to get anything in the 100 or 200 level on the primary market (Ticketmaster), not even in outfield. I then checked a Red Sox game in September and for example there are groups of four seats available, but any such infield seat groups are at the back of the sections and there aren't that many. The closer infield seats are also almost all sold out, unless you are a single. There are plenty of 100 and 200 outfield seats available for the Red Sox game though.

BTW, I'm behind the times, but I just read the prices are massively increasing next year too. Ouch.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)