The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 11:23 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote: Ohtani is the best player in the league right now, so there's no surprise that the seats will sell out faster than other ones on the calendar that take place around the Angels games.
Yes I understand, but my question is what proportion are sold to season tickets buyers? It struck me that even for the Red Sox game months from now, there weren't that many clusters of 100 and 200 level seats available in the infield. I'm guessing the tickets I got may be season tickets.

P.S. For the tickets I got, StubHub charged $55 per ticket plus tax for their fees. Wow.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5910 upvotes
Most season ticket holders have the good seats in and around the homeplate, and dugout areas.

Before the upcoming rennovictions, season ticket holders could renew their tickets at the price they paid when they originally bought the season tickets.
Some fans are sitting on prime season tickets that only cost them $80 each, which will jump significantly when the rennovictions take effect.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays ... 22000.html

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/blue-j ... -1.6853575

https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays ... k-out.html

EugW wrote: Yes I understand, but my question is what proportion are sold to season tickets buyers? It struck me that even for the Red Sox game months from now, there weren't that many clusters of 100 and 200 level seats available in the infield. I'm guessing the tickets I got may be season tickets.

P.S. For the tickets I got, StubHub charged $55 per ticket plus tax for their fees. Wow.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote: Most season ticket holders have the good seats in and around the homeplate, and dugout areas.

Before the upcoming rennovictions, season ticket holders could renew their tickets at the price they paid when they originally bought the season tickets.
Some fans are sitting on prime season tickets that only cost them $80 each, which will jump significantly when the rennovictions take effect.
OK, that makes sense and confirms my suspicions. The tickets we got are near a dugout.

BTW, I was a bit surprised by the massive variation in pricing on StubHub. Our tickets were by no means cheap, but there were other tickets in somewhat similar locations that were literally 2-3X the price.

Anyhow, by the sounds of it, it's probably gonna get even worse next year for the secondary market, after those renovictions.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2019
1894 posts
514 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote: Most season ticket holders have the good seats in and around the homeplate, and dugout areas.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays ... 22000.html

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/blue-j ... -1.6853575

https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays ... k-out.html
No regular Joe can afford $122,000 for season tickets, so clearly Jays are squeezing out regular fans to make room for corporate big wigs
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2012
2063 posts
1232 upvotes
Blue24 wrote: If the Jays sell, do you expect them to trade Bo, Vladdy, Springer etc.?

You asked who the Jays can send out in trades, not who would get them max return. Obviously the guys I listed are not getting back a package like Soto got last year. Just because a team is out of contention and sells at the deadline doesn't mean they will rip the team down to nothing.
At the very least they should trade Springer for a good minor league arms. Jays need to start re-investing in the farm system. Springer would be a great fit for plenty of playoff teams and should be sought after commodity with 2 years of control.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
DHWestview wrote: Make sure you have sound on when watching this

yea they have been testing it in the minors - it's coming. Probably one or two strike challenges a game - something similar to r replay review
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5910 upvotes
The MLB should just switch to robot umpires for ball and strike calls.
Angel Hernandez would burn up those challenges in the first inning.

That is the only way to know for sure that the home plate umpire cannot use bias to rig a game.
blexann wrote: yea they have been testing it in the minors - it's coming. Probably one or two strike challenges a game - something similar to r replay review
Deal Fanatic
Feb 3, 2005
5295 posts
1266 upvotes
Georgetown
DHWestview wrote: Make sure you have sound on when watching this

This actually seems like a good way to use it - if a player can contest a ball/strike call this way, it diffuses the tension between the ump and players/managers over questionable ball/strike calls. It should pretty much do away with the chirping and fights at home plate (and thus the ejections). Of course, if they limit this... later in games when a team can't challenge all that crap could still occur.

I would likely prefer unlimited until you are wrong... maybe 3 incorrect challenges and you can no longer challenge that game? If you limit to a few overall, it means a player can burn the challenge unilaterally and screw the team - they would be best saved for late in a game or key situations.

Very curious to see how this progresses....
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
4378 posts
1597 upvotes
They need that in MLB, it will help weed out the bad umps... in that video, how the heck was that a strike?
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Rogers EPP - $40 Canada/USA-wide + 6GB since 2018
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
DHWestview wrote:
Let's be honest here, he doesn't want to stay down there
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Guru
Apr 6, 2005
11685 posts
2909 upvotes
Toronto
blexann wrote: Let's be honest here, he doesn't want to stay down there
But lets hope he does not pull a Ricky Romero... I remember his last start he gave up I think 2-3 runs in the 1st and Gibby already signaling for a new pitcher
Last edited by Ogata on Jul 4th, 2023 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heat 43-0-0
Apr 29, 2007
984 posts
670 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Well that was quick. I hope he's "fixed"
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5910 upvotes
Manoah should get slotted in the 4th or 5th rotation spot for the rest of the season + playoffs (if they get there).
In the playoffs I'd rather take Hyun Jin Ryu off tommy john surgery than Alek Manoah as the #1 spot in the rotation.

Who decided to give Manoah the #1 spot over Gausman anyway? Gausman was a big free agent signing that had to defer to a sophomore player.

DHWestview wrote:
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2019
1894 posts
514 upvotes
I hope the media asks Schneider why they brought him back up after only 1 AA start.

I really wanna hear his rationale behind that move

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)