• Jun 18th, 2018 11:28 am
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5309 posts
1103 upvotes
Mississauga
tk1000 wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 11:16 pm

LA is also sending $4.5M to the braves. It's a big move by LA, as they will temporarily drop below the luxury tax to reset it back to 20% when they go over again, as opposed to 30% on year two and 50% on year three.

They are expected to release or trade Matt Kemp.

The reset is good with Bryce Harper and Manny Machado becoming free agents after this upcoming season.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
7499 posts
1446 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Dec 16th, 2017 11:16 pm

Always enjoyed AA's wheeling and dealing. Some worked, some didn't but it always made for an interesting off season.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
6409 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
Longoria to the Giants... that leaves who as the top Jays threat?? Adam Jones?
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2079 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
Ogata wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 8:35 pm
Longoria to the Giants... that leaves who as the top Jays threat?? Adam Jones?
He killed us, so happy to see him leave the AL east. Awesome player though, hope he does well in the NL.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6097 posts
950 upvotes
Mississauga
bobcat99 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2017 12:16 pm
Always enjoyed AA's wheeling and dealing. Some worked, some didn't but it always made for an interesting off season.
You cant improve if you don't try something. My heart is with the Jays but my National League Team is now Atlanta. Go Jays Go
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
7499 posts
1446 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 11:31 pm
You cant improve if you don't try something. My heart is with the Jays but my National League Team is now Atlanta. Go Jays Go
Team is being criticized for lacking direction according to media here, which is true. Wonder how long before there is some indirect chatter from Stroman in that regards to.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5309 posts
1103 upvotes
Mississauga
bobcat99 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2017 12:16 pm
blexann wrote:
Dec 17th, 2017 12:51 pm
He also wanted to win.
I didn't mind AA. As a fan, naturally, you want that excitement, you want to see activity, and trades, and crap. He did want to win. Sometimes, at the cost of leaving any contingency. Some of those big moves didn't pan out to anything, but we'll mostly remember him for his last moves before departing because it brought us postseason baseball.

With all that said, that last move really left us bare in the cupboards. I'm not saying Shapiro/Atkins don't have more of a bottom line agenda, but they weren't exactly left with much young assets to work with in trades. I like what Cleveland's got, not just the team, but the ballpark, the atmosphere, the live experience. Sure you can't give all the credit to Shapiro, but he was instrumental for a lot of it. And he has a mandate to improve the experience for fans, which cost money (renovating that concreate basin), not just throwing money at players on the field, unfortunately.

So I'm going to reserve passing judgement until a few more years. Let's be honest, prior to 2015, your opinions of AA wouldn't be what they are now.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2412 posts
193 upvotes
Brampton
blexann wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 7:18 pm
Atkins will need to make a splash, they need to do something before the 2018 ticket drive. I can see another signing similar to Morales'. argh
I hope not. Time to sell all the assets for a real rebuild. Donaldson needs to be traded for a nice haul. Obviously don't trade him just to trade him, but if the right package is coming back then by all means. The Jay's have way too many holes to reasonably expect to compete next couple years over Boston and NY within their division.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
5520 posts
706 upvotes
toeknee89 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2017 10:44 pm
I hope not. Time to sell all the assets for a real rebuild. Donaldson needs to be traded for a nice haul. Obviously don't trade him just to trade him, but if the right package is coming back then by all means. The Jay's have way too many holes to reasonably expect to compete next couple years over Boston and NY within their division.
Re-building by selling assets is easier said than done. I prefer we re-tool and try to stay competitive because the fans won't like the alternative - it could take years. Boston and the Yankees look good on paper but they still have to play the games and both teams have gaping holes to fill especially on the mound.
"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."

Bring up Vlad

Traditional wet shaving thread. Double edge shaving talk - Save $$$
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1131 posts
214 upvotes
Ontario
toeknee89 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2017 10:44 pm
Yup trade him now . Its time to start building for the future and Donaldson is most likely going to get us the most.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6097 posts
950 upvotes
Mississauga
webshark wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 1:11 am
Yup trade him now . Its time to start building for the future and Donaldson is most likely going to get us the most.
Your assuming that the duo of Atkins and Shapiro can trade Donaldson and get the best value. They haven't shown me anything yet to prove they can.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1131 posts
214 upvotes
Ontario
antigua1999 wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 9:56 pm
Your assuming that the duo of Atkins and Shapiro can trade Donaldson and get the best value. They haven't shown me anything yet to prove they can.
They haven't done anything yet that is the problem.