The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2018 10:21 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
6437 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
Shatkins sure loves switch hitters..good upgrades offensively... i smell Solarte being Donaldson's replacement..
Heat 43-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6024 posts
952 upvotes
Ogata wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 6:27 pm
Shatkins sure loves switch hitters..good upgrades offensively... i smell Solarte being Donaldson's replacement..
Solarte is the kind of player you add when your close, maybe this is just insurance in case Travis is done
________

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5452 posts
1180 upvotes
Mississauga
blexann wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 10:39 pm
Solarte is the kind of player you add when your close, maybe this is just insurance in case Travis is done
Not only Travis, but also a cheaper and equally versatile replacement for Ryan Goins. Solarte plays all four infield positions.

Now, I haven't watched him regularly to know how his defense compares to Goins. But last season, i thought Goins' defense regressed from the year before, albeit still good in the grand scheme of things. But his offensive numbers are certainly much better than Ryan Goins.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6024 posts
952 upvotes
kenchau wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 7:55 am
Not only Travis, but also a cheaper and equally versatile replacement for Ryan Goins. Solarte plays all four infield positions.

Now, I haven't watched him regularly to know how his defense compares to Goins. But last season, i thought Goins' defense regressed from the year before, albeit still good in the grand scheme of things. But his offensive numbers are certainly much better than Ryan Goins.
I watched him a bit when he was with the Yankees then kind of lost track when they traded him to the Padres. If he plays full time expect 15 homers, 60 rbi's with about a .250 AVG. Not sure about his d...probably not going to be as good as Goins or Travis.
________

Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2412 posts
193 upvotes
Brampton
Ogata wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 6:27 pm
Dear god, I hope not. This move is great in terms of filling the blackhole that was Goins + Barney. If it's with the expectation that he is a full time anything than the move is not as good.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
7697 posts
1558 upvotes
I don't have much hope for any bat coming over from the NL at this stage of their career. Emilio Bonifacio, Melvin Upton. To top it off, he is weak defensively. Even Tulo's numbers dropped off considerably when he came here.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31704 posts
8091 upvotes
GTHA
Zeke is back for another season...

Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5452 posts
1180 upvotes
Mississauga
tk1000 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:45 pm
Zeke is back for another season...

I like that signing. He had a great season putting up great numbers at the plate in limited plate appearances - .280's/350's and I think 10 doubles and 8 HRs to boot.
Small price tag for a decent predictable backup.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5452 posts
1180 upvotes
Mississauga
We avoided arbitration and signed Donaldson to a cool $23M for 2018.

In other news, $1.8M for Aaron Loup (also avoiding arbitration).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5452 posts
1180 upvotes
Mississauga
blexann wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 11:58 am
if this is true I think they had no choice......ticket drive is right around the corner, JD's face will be plastered on every ad
Exactly. Best case scenario for the Jays in arbitration might have been what, $22M minimum (I'd say)? Meh.

But it seems like they are trying to get 'ish done with their arbitration-eligible players, so that they can move along. I believe there are still a handful of players left to take care of. Let's see how many of them the Jays decide to take to arbitration.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6024 posts
952 upvotes
don't get Loup
________