• Feb 20th, 2018 9:31 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5077 posts
1039 upvotes
Mississauga
antigua1999 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 2:55 pm
You are right they did do something but i expected more. I wonder if they are scared to do anything big and face the wrath of the Blue Jay Faithful. Example I find it interesting that Donaldson keeps saying nobody has approached his team about a contract extension. Atkins and Shapiro have both said publicly they want him back so why not tell his management group officially that they are working on an extension and when we get the internal numbers worked out we will approach you.
The reality is, fans are expecting more because once we've had a taste of the playoffs, we want to get right back in there. But outside of pitching, our key contributors on the field and at the plate are old, and injury-plagued. It's hard to build on that when you look at all the contenders that are so youthful and have depth.

They've made some value-additions that hopefully turn out to be good bang for buck, and if they pan out, then maybe you try to make a bigger addition come deadline. But you can't just throw our prospects for some big guns right at the start, and then have the season wind up with the same guys getting hurt and not contributing again.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5926 posts
879 upvotes
Mississauga
kenchau wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 3:09 pm
The reality is, fans are expecting more because once we've had a taste of the playoffs, we want to get right back in there. But outside of pitching, our key contributors on the field and at the plate are old, and injury-plagued. It's hard to build on that when you look at all the contenders that are so youthful and have depth.

They've made some value-additions that hopefully turn out to be good bang for buck, and if they pan out, then maybe you try to make a bigger addition come deadline. But you can't just throw our prospects for some big guns right at the start, and then have the season wind up with the same guys getting hurt and not contributing again.
I wasn't suggesting any trades. Free agents. Rogers has lots of money and they choose not to spend it on High Priced Free Agents. If they suck this year and attendance will drop Rogers will wish they spent more. You don't have to look to far back to see a half filled stadium.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5077 posts
1039 upvotes
Mississauga
antigua1999 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 3:57 pm
I wasn't suggesting any trades. Free agents. Rogers has lots of money and they choose not to spend it on High Priced Free Agents. If they suck this year and attendance will drop Rogers will wish they spent more. You don't have to look to far back to see a half filled stadium.
That is fine by me as a baseball fan. More opportunity to pick up good deals on tickets.

They are jacking up internet rates by $8/month, of which I am no longer a customer, so it's literally a win-win for me (yes 2 x win!).Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5926 posts
879 upvotes
Mississauga
kenchau wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 4:55 pm
That is fine by me as a baseball fan. More opportunity to pick up good deals on tickets.

They are jacking up internet rates by $8/month, of which I am no longer a customer, so it's literally a win-win for me (yes 2 x win!).Smiling Face With Open Mouth
I get it i love cheap tickets also. I love baseball but its a lot more fun when their winning and sucks when their 15 games back and they trade Donaldson at the trade deadline. I don't have any faith in Shapiro and Atkins. They haven't showed me anything to have faith in them.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4890 posts
530 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 2:55 pm
You are right they did do something but i expected more. I wonder if they are scared to do anything big and face the wrath of the Blue Jay Faithful. Example I find it interesting that Donaldson keeps saying nobody has approached his team about a contract extension. Atkins and Shapiro have both said publicly they want him back so why not tell his management group officially that they are working on an extension and when we get the internal numbers worked out we will approach you.
They are trying to balance winning with saving money and that almost never works. JD is as good as gone - he will either be traded or walk at seasons end. I don't know what ticket sales are like but I would imagine they're not bad, check-in this time next year and it may be a different story
ask me about my Crypto Currency Whatsapp group

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5926 posts
879 upvotes
Mississauga
blexann wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 6:59 pm
They are trying to balance winning with saving money and that almost never works. JD is as good as gone - he will either be traded or walk at seasons end. I don't know what ticket sales are like but I would imagine they're not bad, check-in this time next year and it may be a different story
So true. The scary part is i wouldn't mind them trading JD. My problem is I'm not sure Atkins can trade JD and gets his value.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3523 posts
175 upvotes
Georgetown
antigua1999 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 8:15 pm
So true. The scary part is i wouldn't mind them trading JD. My problem is I'm not sure Atkins can trade JD and gets his value.
Good thing you don’t mind it. It is going to happen. If it doesn’t happen, the management is inept.

I base this statement off of the high odds that this team is not in contention at the trade deadline - thus the Jays should sell and get prospects. They can re-sign JD in the offseason if he really wants to come back (and it makes sense for us).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5926 posts
879 upvotes
Mississauga
Tiberius wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 8:32 pm
Good thing you don’t mind it. It is going to happen. If it doesn’t happen, the management is inept.

I base this statement off of the high odds that this team is not in contention at the trade deadline - thus the Jays should sell and get prospects. They can re-sign JD in the offseason if he really wants to come back (and it makes sense for us).
I know its going to happen but i hope it doesn't. I'm hoping that every player plays above his ability and they are buyers at the trade deadline and not sellers.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3523 posts
175 upvotes
Georgetown
antigua1999 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 8:36 pm
I know its going to happen but i hope it doesn't. I'm hoping that every player plays above his ability and they are buyers at the trade deadline and not sellers.
... and every player is an all star... and they sweep every playoff series... Winking Face

We all have such hope when each season begins... let’s see if they can deliver... and if they don't... it’s our turn to reap the benefits of selling. When the Yankees sell their pending free agents and load up on more prospects, and then pick them back up in the off season... we can’t play it straight and give a contract extension and get squat when the team realistically isn’t a contender for a few years (ie. why extend now and not reap the rewards of renting out the player before they are a free agent)
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4890 posts
530 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 8:36 pm
I agree with this and it's part of building a culture of winners. That mindset has to exist from the minors right up to the owners.

Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5077 posts
1039 upvotes
Mississauga
Ogata wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 9:03 pm
Jays are done with deals I'm guessing...be prepared to get destroyed by Stanton and Judge this year
I think Judge chokes...compared to last year.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4890 posts
530 upvotes
Ogata wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 9:03 pm
Jays are done with deals I'm guessing...be prepared to get destroyed by Stanton and Judge this year
Stanton yes, Judge will be tested. We still have a very good pitching staff led by Stroman and hopefully a healthy Sanchez

Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
5077 posts
1039 upvotes
Mississauga
tk1000 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 1:52 pm
It would be so interesting to see the various arguments presented. $6.9M requested versus $6.5M granted. They use things like comparable salaries, performance, etc. But a lot of weight given to old school stats like wins. Wonder if there's a fan out there that has charted comparable pitchers by service time and/or salary to illustrate difference or similarities in performance.

I feel like, if athletes hired an anlytics person for $10K or a fraction of that for a one-time project, they could be equipped for the arbitration with something that most players probably aren't bringing to the case with them. Difference of $400K (minus $10K or less) in this case. I'd do that for fun for one of our own. :)
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
3536 posts
591 upvotes
Jaime?
Alrighty then. I like the deal.
Definitely better than the Cashner deal.
Ebay - 168 - 0 - 0
Heatware - 56 - 00 - 0
BST Feedback - 81 - 0 - 0