The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2024 1:12 am
Deal Expert
Jan 8, 2007
23402 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
LSZ wrote: You know you really suck as a baseball player when you start to lose playing time to John McDonald.

Nice to see those huge hits from Rasmus and Lawrie. Beating the Angels with Weaver and Haren starting was big for the Jays.
E3 on fiya!!! :razz:

John McDonald! 2 for 4 now batting a decent .248. Doubled and scored to make it a 1-run game. :)

I suppose Teahen's around until a trade next year.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
1145 posts
492 upvotes
Hill is a terrible overall player. -0.4 WAR, 2nd worst for 2B this year
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
2180 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
- Lawrie is awesome. Can't wait to see him for a full season next year,
- Alvarez is looking like a reliever or a rushed starter. Possibly both. He has one MLB pitch and is giving hitters no reason to take his changeup seriously for now. It's cool to see him but not if he's clearly not ready. Also doesn't help any potential trade value.
- Thames is a butcher in the field. No glove, no arm, no range. Get this guy to DH ASAP.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
2180 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
Why do the Jays continue to use their bad relievers in high leverage situations? Why not use Janssen, who might be the best reliever in the pen right now, there?

Rauch is a flyball pitcher who doesn't strike people out. That's a bad combination for a pitcher. The only thing somewhat saving him is that he doesn't walk many.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 20, 2009
5013 posts
711 upvotes
LSZ wrote: Why do the Jays continue to use their bad relievers in high leverage situations? Why not use Janssen, who might be the best reliever in the pen right now, there?

Rauch is a flyball pitcher who doesn't strike people out. That's a bad combination for a pitcher. The only thing somewhat saving him is that he doesn't walk many.

It's not like the Jays head coach has much experience in managing bullpens before :facepalm: :facepalm:

I still hold true to my conspiracy that Cito is still actually running the show, playing Hill out until he hits 20 homers, mismanaging the bullpen and of course the full on hatred for Travis Snider. Damn you Cito!!
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
2180 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
Janssen, Francisco and Litsch should all be ahead of Rauch when it comes to righties in the pen. I'd personally rather see Camp too despite his awful year so far. He can't strike anyone out worth a damn but at least generally keeps the ball on the ground. Perez over Miller when it comes to lefties is so obvious it shouldn't even have to be mentioned.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2010
2021 posts
15 upvotes
why is Rauch still pitching with the blue jays? uugghh....
May 18, 2006
997 posts
24 upvotes
LSZ wrote: Why do the Jays continue to use their bad relievers in high leverage situations? Why not use Janssen, who might be the best reliever in the pen right now, there?

vchan81 wrote: why is Rauch still pitching with the blue jays? uugghh....

...or better yet, why was Litsch pulled in the 8th?
He faced the minimum 6 guys through two innings, so one more inning and he would've still avoided going up against batters for a 2nd time.

Of course, that still brings you to Rauch, the (un)closer in the 9th, but hey, maybe different pitches are made, and definitely to different batters, so maybe a different outcome...... :cheesygri
Deal Expert
Jan 8, 2007
23402 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
inntents wrote: ...or better yet, why was Litsch pulled in the 8th?
He faced the minimum 6 guys through two innings, so one more inning and he would've still avoided going up against batters for a 2nd time.

Of course, that still brings you to Rauch, the (un)closer in the 9th, but hey, maybe different pitches are made, and definitely to different batters, so maybe a different outcome...... :cheesygri

He's bad against lefties so they brought in the old lefty. I think Farrell out-coached himself. :o

Poor Alvarez, 2 decent starts where he kept his team in the game and gave them a chance to win despite a 5.91 era. At least he hasn't lost yet. :)
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1425 posts
640 upvotes
beede didn't get signed.

meh, can't say this was a surprise. he already said he'd be committed to vanderbilt and it'd take a lot to buy out his college eligibility. nice of AA to set a good precedence to show he won't be pushed around by draftees and their agents. and beede can't declare for the draft again until 2014 too. i like this risk/reward system for both sides. beede could use college to get an education, be a better or worse player and see his stock rise or fall in 2014. nothing wrong with that. he/his agent took a gamble.

can't help but think of that story in espn where a pitcher turned down 5m(but it was over 8 years and his arbitration years are bought out) and now is working at costco. heh funny how life works out sometimes.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10923 posts
3658 upvotes
Blue Jays Designate Trever Miller For Assignment

The Blue Jays designated lefty Trever Miller for assignment, according to a team press release. The Jays placed Jon Rauch on the DL and purchased the contracts of Wil Ledezma and Rommie Lewis in the series of moves, leaving their 40-man roster at 39.

Miller, 38, tossed only 3 2/3 innings since coming over from the Cardinals in the Colby Rasmus trade. On the season he has a 4.19 ERA, 5.1 K/9, 5.6 BB/9, 0.93 HR/9, and 38.8% groundball rate in 19 1/3 innings. He hasn't been able to shut down lefties since '09.
Deal Expert
Jan 8, 2007
23402 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
Clement wrote: beede didn't get signed.

meh, can't say this was a surprise. he already said he'd be committed to vanderbilt and it'd take a lot to buy out his college eligibility. nice of AA to set a good precedence to show he won't be pushed around by draftees and their agents. and beede can't declare for the draft again until 2014 too. i like this risk/reward system for both sides. beede could use college to get an education, be a better or worse player and see his stock rise or fall in 2014. nothing wrong with that. he/his agent took a gamble.

can't help but think of that story in espn where a pitcher turned down 5m(but it was over 8 years and his arbitration years are bought out) and now is working at costco. heh funny how life works out sometimes.

Since they aren't able to sign him, do the Jays get a compensatory pick? I thought I read that somewhere.

Bye Miller! Whip of 2.18. :o Lefties Lewis and Ledezma can't be worse can they?

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl ... es-7794902

Oh well, filler till the end of the year.

Rauch blew this save because of ...
the right-handed reliever underwent an appendectomy in Seattle.
???

Maybe he'll be a superstar without it?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1425 posts
640 upvotes
Psubs wrote: Since they aren't able to sign him, do the Jays get a compensatory pick? I thought I read that somewhere.
yes, the jays get a 22nd pick next year. it's always 1 slot lower than the draftee you're not able to sign as a compensatory pick.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1425 posts
640 upvotes
Psubs wrote: Nice! How low does that go? If they can't sign a 4th rounder do they get that slot +1 next year?
nope. +1 is only for 1st-2nd round draft picks. for 3rd rounders on, the team gets a pick from a supplemental draft round held between the 3rd and 4th regular rounds.

and if you don't sign the compensated draft pick next year, it doesn't carry over to the year after that, so if the jays doesn't work a deal with the 22nd pick next year, they're not getting a 23rd in 2013.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 20, 2009
5013 posts
711 upvotes
Pretty sure Rauch gave me appendicitis, how else to explain that sharp pain in my gut everytime he goes to the mound?

Glad that Miller Genuine Shaft is gone. He was like the ugly in law you adopt through a sibling's marriage.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2719 posts
702 upvotes
alvarez for closer? he's got the speed. doesn't have enough pitches to keep fooling batters several times through the order.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
2180 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
ItechJester wrote: alvarez for closer? he's got the speed. doesn't have enough pitches to keep fooling batters several times through the order.
Let's let him fail as a starter first then convert him to a reliever. It would be a waste to not give him an extended look as a starter. He hasn't been good with the Jays but he was rushed.