Off Topic

Toronto Board of Health Endorses Intravenous Drug Injection Sites

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 11:44 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 9, 2003
16268 posts
1734 upvotes
Langley
Jimbobs wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2016 2:36 pm
The CTV poll result is here http://www.ctvnews.ca/more/poll-results

The result:

Do you support safe drug injection sites?
Yes 2397 (48 %)
No 2603 (52 %)

Total number of votes: 5000
Oops. T992 shouldn't have hitched his cart to that "huge majority" argument. I tried to tell him that opinion was divided, but he didn't want to back down from an obviously flawed poll. His posts stink of desperation and broken dreams.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
7399 posts
927 upvotes
Toronto
is61>
LOL, it's difficult to debate w/ someone who refuses to acknowledge simple things such as this site idea being controversial and that they believe that there is absolutely nothing wrong w/ them at all and w/ no downsides whatsoever. Like I said, worse than an OJ juror. Reeks of huge personal bias.

As for the poll, that was true when I referred to them but things can change. I'm fair in debates, unlike you who likes to cherry pick and believe that sites are a slamdunk w/o question. Now tend to your user relative/friend.

EDIT: why do you suggest that my majority argument is dead now? I thought that you don't give any credence to these 'self-serving' polls. Hypocrisy and cherry picking yet again.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 9, 2003
16268 posts
1734 upvotes
Langley
tranquility922 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2016 5:00 pm
is61>
LOL, it's difficult to debate w/ someone who refuses to acknowledge simple things such as this site idea being controversial
Lie. Where exactly did I say it wasn't controversial?
tranquility922 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2016 5:00 pm
and that they believe that there is absolutely nothing wrong w/ them at all and w/ no downsides whatsoever.
Lie. Read up a couple of posts - "I think there's downsides,"
tranquility922 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2016 5:00 pm
Like I said, worse than an OJ juror. Reeks of huge personal bias.
My personal bias is that I don't like the idea of people dying in the street unnecessarily, and want to prevent it. Your personal bias is a warped morality of authoritarianism where you want to control people to your dogma instead of being compassionate and helping them.
tranquility922 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2016 5:00 pm
As for the poll, that was true when I referred to them but things can change.
No, it was flawed and irrelevant then and it's flawed and irrelevant now. Nothing has changed.
tranquility922 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2016 5:00 pm
I'm fair in debates, unlike you who likes to cherry pick and believe that sites are a slamdunk w/o question.
I think it's fine that you try and find flaws in your opponent's argument. But at some point, you need to supply your own evidence so that I can have the same chance.
tranquility922 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2016 5:00 pm
Now tend to your user relative/friend.
If that's an attempt to hurt my feelings by attacking a supposed user friend/relative, then it won't be effective.
tranquility922 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2016 5:00 pm
EDIT: why do you suggest that my majority argument is dead now? I thought that you don't give any credence to these 'self-serving' polls. Hypocrisy and cherry picking yet again.
I don't give any credence to them, but you do. Since you give credence to flawed polls, your argument dies when better data becomes available. That hurts your argument, but it doesn't help mine, because I wouldn't use such flawed data.

My argument is based on lives saved, money saved, infections reduced, and increased drug treatment. Polls, by VPD, Van residents, Toronto residents, etc, aren't very important to me. I like to see people supporting it, for sure. But I would never trade lives away to conform to the results an opinion poll. I'd rather work to educate and eliminate ignorance to gain support.

That's the difference between us. I talk about saving lives, you talk about "controversy" and opinion polls.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
7399 posts
927 upvotes
Toronto
^Bla bla bla. Hard to argue w/ stubborn ppl that think they are right no matter what w/o any acknowledgement of the other side. Pedantic.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6324 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2016 5:47 pm
^Bla bla bla. Hard to argue w/ stubborn ppl that think they are right no matter what w/o any acknowledgement of the other side. Pedantic.
The basic problem seems to be that you seem to think that SIS's are being provided for purposes other than harm reduction. They are not. There may be some other benefits but their primary purpose is harm reduction. Anything else that comes about is a side benefit.

But just to be clear: SIS's do not encourage people to use drugs. Nor they they "enable" drug use.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6324 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
Good news on this topic today. We are one step closer to safe injection sites in Toronto given the City's Board of Health approval today. Now the final approval will be up Council at their meeting next week.

" ... what advocates say would be a life-saving measure. The board unanimously agreed, signalling a new approach to harm reduction as a public health problem — one that has yet to be implemented in Ontario. Members backed a recommendation from outgoing chief medical officer of health, Dr. David McKeown, to move forward with three sites proposed within existing community health centres on Queen St. W., near Yonge and Dundas Sts. and in Leslieville."

Full story here.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2002
7106 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto
Jimbobs wrote:
Jul 4th, 2016 8:19 pm
Good news on this topic today. We are one step closer to safe injection sites in Toronto given the City's Board of Health approval today. Now the final approval will be up Council at their meeting next week.

" ... what advocates say would be a life-saving measure. The board unanimously agreed, signalling a new approach to harm reduction as a public health problem — one that has yet to be implemented in Ontario. Members backed a recommendation from outgoing chief medical officer of health, Dr. David McKeown, to move forward with three sites proposed within existing community health centres on Queen St. W., near Yonge and Dundas Sts. and in Leslieville."

Full story here.
I saw that article and didn't want to kick up an old thread that I longed bowed out of. However it's worth mentioning the girl in your story died in the past few days from an overdose next to a dumpster.

If a SIS was around maybe a nurse would have been around. I guess you can always say it's a maybe.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6324 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
GangStarr wrote:
Jul 4th, 2016 10:17 pm
I saw that article and didn't want to kick up an old thread that I longed bowed out of. However it's worth mentioning the girl in your story died in the past few days from an overdose next to a dumpster.

If a SIS was around maybe a nurse would have been around. I guess you can always say it's a maybe.
Yes, I read about that. So sad.

... “Brooklyn McNeil was not an exception. People are dying every week,” said John MacDonald, a harm reduction worker at Eva’s Satellite homeless shelter where McNeil — a Thunder Bay native who struggled herself with addiction and mental health from a young age — had become an advanced peer worker. She died of an overdose on June 22. She would have been 23 on Tuesday.
“She’d still be alive if there was a safe injection site. She didn’t even really have a chance to live anywhere near a full life,” MacDonald said. “Every week we’re getting emails about someone overdosing and dying. It’s going to get worse unless we have safe injections sites. They may not save everybody, but even one life — it’s worth opening them.”
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1439 posts
365 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Great news indeed!

Glad forward thinkers made this happen.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 7, 2012
26261 posts
6091 upvotes
GTHA
City to fasttrack interim safe injection sites after pop-up site erected in Moss Park
Toronto police agreed to not lay arrests at the pop-up safe injection site, saying the opioid crisis supersedes concerns about illegality.

Penalty Box
Apr 8, 2013
7207 posts
237 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 12:50 am
City to fasttrack interim safe injection sites after pop-up site erected in Moss Park
Toronto police agreed to not lay arrests at the pop-up safe injection site, saying the opioid crisis supersedes concerns about illegality.
+1000000000

People will not listen until people start OD'ing left and right. Its just sad that it had to take bodies for people to open their mind.

The only one against this from the beginning was the conservatives. No one is promoting drug use but its here and needs to be dealt with.

This has ALWAYS been a health issue.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Sr. Member
Jul 30, 2010
950 posts
106 upvotes
I don't understand why we don't just kill all drug users like in the Philippines. Zero demand, suppliers close up shop. *sarcasm*
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 11, 2008
4798 posts
349 upvotes
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 5:42 pm
I don't understand why we don't just kill all drug users like in the Philippines. Zero demand, suppliers close up shop. *sarcasm*
Because we don't have to. While drug users in Philippines have to make a living, a lot of drug users here don't. Just cut them off would be enough. *not sarcasm*.

I fully support people's free choice to use whatever drugs they want. However, freedom comes with responsibilities. It's time they pay for their choices.

Top