Toronto to Cebu, Philippines - $558 CAD roundtrip including taxes | new record

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2019 9:01 pm
Mar 18, 2013
87 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
Key thing here is “stop by china”

Have you heard the news lately on the Lady CFO got detained in Vancouver and then suddenly lots of Canadians getting detained for no reason?

I believe this is a way for the Chinese government to get more Canadians to go over there and then detain them all ...to trade for Lady CFO.

If i were you, ill not stop by China in these circumstances ATM.

Added:
https://globalnews.ca/news/4762716/meng ... usive/amp/

“Meng Wanzhou landed at Vancouver’s YVR airport at 11:30 a.m. on Dec. 1 to catch a connecting flight to Mexico, ”

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1OY05Q
Images
  • ACF0C60D-6E52-4B30-A400-7854D28473CF.png
  • A47B747E-23AC-429C-96C5-17ABE9D7DA93.png
Last edited by Henry626 on Jan 13th, 2019 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 26, 2005
762 posts
215 upvotes
Ottawa
Recoil wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 7:09 pm
Can anyone back this up? I've heard of delays in mainland China, but that bad?
Though Shanghai is a pretty shitty airport, especially if you have a long layover, I've never had any delays there.
As for China Eastern, I found the service to be okay. The only crappy thing I've found with any of the Air China\China Eastern, is that they don't have liquor onboard, only beer and wine.
Apr 13, 2009
303 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
416MAFIA wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 7:05 pm
I hear Filipino women just adore Canadian men.

Any recommendations for hotels that are reasonably priced (ok friggin cheap but does not skimp out on hygiene).
Usually any hotel 3 stars and above on Expedia or Agoda is reasonably good for an average traveler. Rough price range- in Cebu don't go for anything below CAD$40, in Manila below $50.
Go for newer hotels and read reviews to make sure that there is no recent occurrence of cockroaches or nearby construction.
If you care check pictures as well, some hotels in Asia offer as the "best deal" rooms which have no windows and don't mention that in description. Be prepared that any room/hotel looks better in pictures than reality and that even recognized brands (e.g. Best Western) don't have to offer the standard which you are used to in North America.
Last edited by zajacik99 on Jan 3rd, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4995 posts
711 upvotes
Toronto
I've been looking for a flight deal for a long time, I find one, submit my vacation for it, get approved for February, and now this deals pops up lol

I've flown China Eastern a couple times and they're not bad. It is true you have to turn off your phone while flying. Decent amount of leg room.

Also like another poster said: two weeks doesn't cut it. Many cases you lose two days just flying there, three if you have to get over jet lag or if you land at a crappy time ie 10pm.

There's lots to see and do in Philippines especially given that there's over 7500 islands.

Most philipinos speak good English so you don't have to worry about a language barrier, and it's one of the few places where the Canadian dollar goes far lol.

Whoever goes have a blast and make sure you go to Bohol which is an island near Cebu; do one of those day tours
Dec 26, 2005
762 posts
215 upvotes
Ottawa
Great price. I go to SEA twice a year, and would love to check out the Philippines but I just got back 3 days ago, so March is a bit too soon for me.
damn.
Apr 13, 2009
303 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
It's really a great deal, especially considering it's Cebu. These deals used to be common YYZ-MNL with China Eastern, but now, when they do it with 1 day layover in Shangai not even low price a reason to travel to Manila with them.

Seems in the past month there has been price war between China Southern and Eastern, hopefully it will bring more low prices to Asia during 2019. It's amazing to fly to the other end of the world for price of flight to South America or across Canada and cheaper than to Europe.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
20589 posts
142507 upvotes
GTA
gfnstew wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 6:58 pm
I just searched for this flight and these prices don't seem right. First, I can't replicate the flights from next departure for same price...and when I find the lowest price ones, you have to book through sketchy ticket websites which have horrible reviews. I usually book direct with airline, but I have done through Expedia before without problems...but some of the reviews on these other booking sites don't look promising.
Deal is dead (for Bali at least) but agreed - I didn't realize in the end the search winds up at those sites. Never booked with them and several I've never heard of...
Dec 26, 2005
762 posts
215 upvotes
Ottawa
glover78 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 9:00 pm
I've flown China Eastern a couple times and they're not bad. It is true you have to turn off your phone while flying. Decent amount of leg room.
I believe they finally changed this mid-2018 if i'm not mistaken. You can now have your phone on, but it has to be in airplane mode.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1389 posts
686 upvotes
Not quite sure why discussing the quality of the product is in violation of RFD terms here

In every other thread people will chip in if they think a phone or blender or whatever is poor quality and why
Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming
Oct 23, 2018
265 posts
146 upvotes
Oh this is so good!. Cebu.has the finest beaches.and.resort better than Boracay as it is not too commercialized! I tried dolphin encounter and those big fish (?) Cant remember the name as it was 4 years ago in Oslob Cebu! That was the most memorable trip so far to me, way better than going down south of the US. I've been waiting for sale like this!!! OMG thanks.op!
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3821 posts
971 upvotes
Toronto
juniferlucefero wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 10:22 pm
Oh this is so good!. Cebu.has the finest beaches.and.resort better than Boracay as it is not too commercialized! I tried dolphin encounter and those big fish (?) Cant remember the name as it was 4 years ago in Oslob Cebu! That was the most memorable trip so far to me, way better than going down south of the US. I've been waiting for sale like this!!! OMG thanks.op!
By big fish, do you mean the whale sharks?

This is an amazing deal but just keep in mind that it will be the middle of the summer in the Philippines at the time, so it'll be super hot. If in Cebu, make sure to visit Bohol or Camiguin as well, which are pretty close by...

I'm currently back in the Philippines to visit family and having a blast. For those who haven't been before, it's an accessible country with nice beaches, friendly people who all speak English, and your dollar goes far.
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Oct 23, 2018
265 posts
146 upvotes
We stayed in Crown Regency in Cebu city last time. It was pretty good. It has those skyline adventure. Pretty scary but great to those adrenaline junkie. There is a Starbucks in that hotel and pretty central. Then went to Oslob in one of the private beach house there. That was the best time of my life. I have kids now so was not able to travel that far for 4 years now. Only Mexico was the trip we’ve done so far. Really excited to come back again with my 4 year old.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2010
1314 posts
2302 upvotes
For those who want to go to more than one Asian country, you can make this an open jaw trip, and get similar prices:

Example:

$574 CDN:
Outbound: March 21: Toronto to Denpasar (Bali) Indonesia
Return: April 6: Cebu Philippines to Toronto
https://www.skyscanner.ca/transport/d/y ... me#results

$615 CDN:
Outbound: March 21: Toronto to Bangkok Thailand
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1558 posts
128 upvotes
Henry626 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 8:45 pm
Key thing here is “stop by china”

Have you heard the news lately on the Lady CFO got detained in Vancouver and then suddenly lots of Canadians getting detained for no reason?

I believe this is a way for the Chinese government to get more Canadians to go over there and then detain them all ...to trade for Lady CFO.

If i were you, ill not stop by China in these circumstances ATM.
lol.. is this even a concern? If that's the case they'd be detaining way more then the current two. I have both a canadian and polish passport, being a dual citizen. Should I be flying with the polish passport just to be on the safe side? :)
oj777 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 7:36 pm
For those who want to go to more than one Asian country, you can make this an open jaw trip, and get similar prices:

Example:

$574 CDN:
Outbound: March 21: Toronto to Denpasar (Bali) Indonesia

$615 CDN:
Outbound: March 21: Toronto to Bangkok Thailand
1. Do the prices here include taxes?

2. Does one need get vaccinated when visiting Philippines?

3. What's better Philippines or Thailand? Looking at 2 to 3 weeks vacation, but don't like to be too rushed, wonder if that is enough time for both Thailand and Philippines?