• Jan 10th, 2011 11:53 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 26, 2007
379 posts
3 upvotes

Toronto/CNE Airshow

For those who went to today's CNE Air Show, which would be the best place to be to get a great view? I've never been, so I'm not sure if they fly over the CNE exhibition grounds or do they fly over Lake Ontario, just off the exhibition grounds?

I've a few ideas for the best places to go:
- CNE grounds itself, watch from BMO Field?
- from the tip of Centre Island (if the jets fly over the water)
- Ontario Place
- Marilyn Bell Park (apperently its a good place to get the view)

Any suggestion of the four above or another?
Share:
68 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9342 posts
469 upvotes
Markham
I was there today at the air show, go to the west end, close to Lake Ontario on the CNE grounds and it's a prime viewing area with loud speakers with music and announcements, and you can see it pretty well. The maps they hand out will say the location.

I saw some people on top of some Ontario Place buildings, that might've been a good view too.
Nov 9, 2005
150 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga
I was there yesterday, I stayed in the area of LakeShore and Colborne lodge Dr (SunnySide park). Most of the JET planes seemed to turn around in that area on the way back to the CNE Area.

here are a few pictures from yesterday

mr_sandman wrote:
Sep 1st, 2007 10:55 pm
For those who went to today's CNE Air Show, which would be the best place to be to get a great view? I've never been, so I'm not sure if they fly over the CNE exhibition grounds or do they fly over Lake Ontario, just off the exhibition grounds?

I've a few ideas for the best places to go:
- CNE grounds itself, watch from BMO Field?
- from the tip of Centre Island (if the jets fly over the water)
- Ontario Place
- Marilyn Bell Park (apperently its a good place to get the view)

Any suggestion of the four above or another?
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2642 posts
477 upvotes
Nice Pics, may I ask what Camera you're using?
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10634 posts
986 upvotes
Mississauga
And how high was your zoom? I LOVE the F-22 Raptor in that first pic.
Nov 9, 2005
150 posts
9 upvotes
Mississauga
yyz2hkg wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2007 11:12 am
Nice Pics, may I ask what Camera you're using?
thanks, I used a Canon Rebel Xti with a 70-200L lens.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2002
1321 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
I was walking on King st. yesterday, and saw a fighter jet fly right over the BMO tower (or at least over downtown). Can someone tell me why they are allowed to fly over densely-populated areas like this? The jet was alone, so it's not as dangerous as flying in a group (Poland's crash comes to mind), but still, why can they not be restricted to above-water only?
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12650 posts
1488 upvotes
Toronto
:lol: hahah the 5th picture looks like a b50 bomber barely doing a stunt ahahah.. look how chubby that thing is :lol: :lol:
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2005
2642 posts
477 upvotes
f00kie wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2007 12:43 pm
I was walking on King st. yesterday, and saw a fighter jet fly right over the BMO tower (or at least over downtown). Can someone tell me why they are allowed to fly over densely-populated areas like this? The jet was alone, so it's not as dangerous as flying in a group (Poland's crash comes to mind), but still, why can they not be restricted to above-water only?
They already have strict flight plans. My house is in the flight path of large commercial jets which have to land , and on days it seems to be pretty low. It's densely populated wherever they fly...enjoy the show...like someone quoted..."the sound of freedom" :cheesygri
Banned
Jan 3, 2006
1887 posts
5 upvotes
trixstar wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2007 1:45 pm
:lol: hahah the 5th picture looks like a b50 bomber barely doing a stunt ahahah.. look how chubby that thing is :lol: :lol:
isn't that a galaxy c-5?
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10225 posts
498 upvotes
Mississauga
f00kie wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2007 12:43 pm
I saw one fly over Mississauga 3:30pm yesterday. I was puzzled why they could fly so low in densely populated residential areas. The only other time I saw a plane fly so low was on take off or landing at an airport.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
19518 posts
1230 upvotes
trixstar wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2007 1:45 pm
Negative.
rosebud wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2007 2:59 pm
isn't that a galaxy c-5?
Negative.

It's a Boeing C-17, young lads...
[OP]
Mar 26, 2007
379 posts
3 upvotes
seeing those pics, I may take your suggestion ... I can only assume it'll be packed inside the cne grounds, plus I don't wanna pay $14 again, I already went last week.

I'm gonna be heading down with my telephoto zoom lens, I hope it won't be too diffcult to follow the jets.
Dec 24, 2006
564 posts
15 upvotes
I was there today, good times.

Veteq, i had the same lens as you today and I was wondering how come ur pics were good and mine weren't as close, it was those American jets that were not coming closer, but the Canadian ones were, or maybe I was just too far...

will post pics later on.
[OP]
Mar 26, 2007
379 posts
3 upvotes
I can only assume veget has extremely steady hands to get such clear shots with telephoto zoom lens. I was there as well, but I missed out on the first two hours ... still got to see the super hornet and the snowbirds.

I shall post pics as well soon enough as well!