Off Topic

Toronto Downtown Relief Line (recommended route and a staggering price tag revealed)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 7:50 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
4488 posts
2225 upvotes
How people deal with taking the subway at rush hour I'll never know *shudders*
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26232 posts
6068 upvotes
GTHA
Jimbobs wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 5:57 pm
Write to your MPP telling them that the City of Toronto/TTC can't be trusted to make reasonable transit expansion plans.
Can Metrolinx be trusted to make reasonable transit expansion plans?

"Both the TTC and regional transit authority Metrolinx have identified the downtown relief line as a top transit priority."
from https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/ ... w-ave.html
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
3441 posts
195 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 7:39 pm
Good question, tk1000. What do you think?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9571 posts
1244 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:

"Both the TTC and regional transit authority Metrolinx have identified the downtown relief line as a top transit priority."
The residents of Pape Street with their $1.5+ million dollar homes flexed their muscle and killed the 100 yr plan (don't know the exact number but it's been there A LONG time) of a downtown relief line along Pape Street. Going back to the drawing board will take another 70 years. So now, it will be 250 years before any realistic expectation of a downtown relief line will happen.

Just so funny how a 1000 signatures can change something like this lol. And 'Top' priority. Everything to them is a 'Top' priority. We need the Scarborough Subway going beyond Toronto Borders. The West gets the Vaughan line while the North gets the Yonge line. The East needs a line. Especially with the growth of Durham, the fastest growing suburb right now.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6320 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:

The problem with the TTC making plans is the interference they receive from City Council and the Mayor's office. By getting Metrolinx involved, the parish pump politicking is reduced (or elevated to a higher level of policking!).
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10121 posts
119 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Yes. Their progress has been significant.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10121 posts
119 upvotes
Sanyo wrote:
Apr 13th, 2017 6:34 pm
How people deal with taking the subway at rush hour I'll never know *shudders*
It's better than taking the Scarborough RT at rush hour. I think it has the most flatulent ridership by far.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
4488 posts
2225 upvotes
mbg wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 7:11 pm
It's better than taking the Scarborough RT at rush hour. I think it has the most flatulent ridership by far.
Never have taken public transportation except the odd time with the go train.

But being stuck like a sardine in a subway is not my idea of living day to day to get to work.
May 5, 2016
335 posts
143 upvotes
Toronto
Sanyo wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 7:24 pm
Never have taken public transportation except the odd time with the go train.

But being stuck like a sardine in a subway is not my idea of living day to day to get to work.
I'd rather be packed in a subway than face the bumper to bumper traffic on the DVP everyday. I'd like to believe my grey hair growth will be reduced by 100000000000%.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
4488 posts
2225 upvotes
Spectre26 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 8:49 pm
I'd rather be packed in a subway than face the bumper to bumper traffic on the DVP everyday. I'd like to believe my grey hair growth will be reduced by 100000000000%.
i dont take dvp...i too would pull my hair out.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4789 posts
349 upvotes
What's wrong with standing on the subway? It was designed to have people standing with all those handle bars, no?

An what's wrong with standing in lines to wait your turn? We do that all the time, especially at government offices, no?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6320 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
Archanfel wrote:
Apr 19th, 2017 3:59 pm
What's wrong with standing on the subway? It was designed to have people standing with all those handle bars, no? ...
Exactly.
I have never been unable to get on the subway. It is truly amazing, when you walk to the door, smile and say something like "sorry folks, I really need to catch this train", how much space suddenly appears.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7104 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto
Jimbobs wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2017 1:30 am
Exactly.
I have never been unable to get on the subway. It is truly amazing, when you walk to the door, smile and say something like "sorry folks, I really need to catch this train", how much space suddenly appears.
Feel free to try that around 5&6 pm going north at Dundas station. I stopped taking rush hour transit a decade ago and it was a pain to get on a train back then. I can only imagine how bad it is now.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4179 posts
112 upvotes
Austin/Markham
This feels so weird, I was born near Pape and Gerrard and spent 5 years growing up a few houses from that intersection. It'd be hard to imagine it having a subway. Its not dense housing at all. Its a family neighborhood, with big trees and historic old homes (I believe mine was over 80 years old, maybe even 100 ). There's better places to have a subway,
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6646 posts
787 upvotes
webdoctors wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 11:17 pm
This feels so weird, I was born near Pape and Gerrard and spent 5 years growing up a few houses from that intersection. It'd be hard to imagine it having a subway. Its not dense housing at all. Its a family neighborhood, with big trees and historic old homes (I believe mine was over 80 years old, maybe even 100 ). There's better places to have a subway,
and downtown Toronto when the TD towers are, was the same thing 100 years ago. Its called progress. Its not gonna stay like that forever. Eventually sky scrappers will move in.