Off Topic

Toronto Downtown Relief Line (recommended route and a staggering price tag revealed)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 7:50 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4179 posts
112 upvotes
Austin/Markham
Buggy166 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 11:20 pm
and downtown Toronto when the TD towers are, was the same thing 100 years ago. Its called progress. Its not gonna stay like that forever. Eventually sky scrappers will move in.
I was feeling nostalgic so I pulled up 307 Pape Ave on google maps just to be sure, the place hasn't changed in 20 years. I have no financial interest, if the city wants to build a subway through there, sure but it makes more sense to put it in areas that are already slated to have condos/skyscrappers. That street is so tight it'll be difficult to put any sort of skyscrappers on it. They'll just lose money on it.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6646 posts
787 upvotes
webdoctors wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 2:37 am
I was feeling nostalgic so I pulled up 307 Pape Ave on google maps just to be sure, the place hasn't changed in 20 years. I have no financial interest, if the city wants to build a subway through there, sure but it makes more sense to put it in areas that are already slated to have condos/skyscrappers. That street is so tight it'll be difficult to put any sort of skyscrappers on it. They'll just lose money on it.
The city isnt very bright, lest we remember they dug up Eglinton for a line and then paid money to cover it back up, only to magically realize 50 years later that a few million back then would've saved a few billion now. Much like a few billion now, would save a few tens of billions later. When i think Toronto leadership, I try to compare it to Trump and see how many inches over or under in goes, because far away, it is not.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26243 posts
6073 upvotes
GTHA
Buggy166 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 3:50 am
The city isnt very bright, lest we remember they dug up Eglinton for a line and then paid money to cover it back up, only to magically realize 50 years later that a few million back then would've saved a few billion now. Much like a few billion now, would save a few tens of billions later. When i think Toronto leadership, I try to compare it to Trump and see how many inches over or under in goes, because far away, it is not.
Conservative premier Mike Harris cancelled the Eglinton subway in mid-construction and filled in the hole.

http://www.680news.com/2013/07/22/holyd ... on-subway/
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6321 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
GangStarr wrote:
Apr 24th, 2017 8:58 pm
Feel free to try that around 5&6 pm going north at Dundas station. I stopped taking rush hour transit a decade ago and it was a pain to get on a train back then. I can only imagine how bad it is now.
I hear you and accept the possibility that I may just have been lucky in my experiences. What I have noticed is that the "crowd" seems to react more positively to a pleasant but forceful approach while reacting negatively to less pleasant and/or less forceful approaches. So a pleasant, smiling person walking up to a crowded door but not pushing on will be ignored in the same way as a rude and aggressive person will be resisted. Last week, I saw a guy in a business suit try to aggressively push his way on and somebody reached out and pushed him back off the train just as the doors closed! Tough crowd!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6768 posts
715 upvotes
Toronto
Hopefully we'll see a bit of an easing up on the Yonge line Northbound when the Spadina extension opens.
People heading to Brampton and Vaughan, and Torontonians heading Northwest along the Finch corridor, would not need to head first to Yonge and Finch before heading westbound.
If Metrolynx implements the GO sticker for Metro pass users they piloted some time ago from Liberty Village to Scarborough that would be great too.
This time off course, allow it to be used at all GO train stations in Scarborough except the one in the Pilot project, which nobody hardly ever used.
Then maybe we can just concentrate on the core of Toronto and maybe build a Monorail around the downtown core.:)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
6321 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 12:14 pm
... maybe build a Monorail around the downtown core.:)
They're called LRT's nowadays and everybody that knows anything about urban transit is using them. Just imagine a network based on subways in the core, LRT lines running east-west, crossing LRT lines running north-south - maximum flexibility and lowest cost. Then, when and as volume increases, additional subway stops can be added as a matter of routine planning rather than endless politics and BS at City Hall.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26243 posts
6073 upvotes
GTHA
Video: Is Toronto's relief line in jeopardy?
After Thursday's provincial budget, Mayor Tory had some strong words for Queens Park that could mean your crowded commute won't be getting any better

[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26243 posts
6073 upvotes
GTHA
"Toronto’s Relief Line is getting a $27 million boost from the federal government to help with the planning and design work for the future transit project, but the city’s mayor says he’s still looking for a firm financial commitment from the province to build the much needed subway line."

http://globalnews.ca/news/3498121/toron ... ng-design/
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26243 posts
6073 upvotes
GTHA
Councillor pitching ideas to relieve overcrowding on TTC subway
While we wait—until at least 2031—for the Relief Line to be built, a Toronto councillor wants the TTC to consider options for easing overcrowding on the Yonge subway line now. They include express buses on Bay Street and surge pricing for peak hours.

Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23390 posts
1101 upvotes
Markham, ON
i didnt get that sense...the Mayor has no money.
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2949 posts
186 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:26 pm
i didnt get that sense...the Mayor has no money.
Having no money haven't stopped downtowner to vote for projects. Especially in downtown.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Nov 8, 2017
86 posts
12 upvotes
Somewhere in Ontario
tk1000 wrote:
Jun 23rd, 2016 8:32 am
from http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story ... d-by-city/

"The Downtown Relief Line has a recommended route and a staggering price tag: it would go from Pape Station to downtown via first Eastern Avenue and then on the west side of the Don River via Queen Street East."

"The relief line would be expected to provide a net reduction of between 3,400 and 5,900 on the Yonge line at Bloor Street. The Toronto Transit Commission estimates that the relief line would cost $6.799 billion and is not the least expensive of the options the city examined."
I was *just* discussing these topics on another thread and had to laugh when I saw the numbers. Spending $7 billion (conservatively, probably more like $10 billion when all is said and done) on a line that would only offload 6,000 people from existing infrastructure?

Can you say a vast waste of resources that could actually be put toward making this city and region a better place if it were spent in other ways? jeez