• Mar 21st, 2017 2:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
4696 posts
911 upvotes
GTA

Toronto FC / MLS Thread

Now that we're (or most of us) are over the MLS Cup Final loss...

I've renamed this thread into Toronto FC / MLS since we don't have one yet on RFD as the discussion has progressed into general topics about TFC, MLS and soccer. Hope no one minds...
Last edited by izzyzz on Dec 5th, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
78 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4292 posts
300 upvotes
stupid stupid weather to be playing soccer in. but hopefully they win. i don't watch much and have a few friends that do. enjoy the 8pm start and bundle up people. it will be cold. then again, weather in seattle does not seem to be a whole lot better. in fact, they would be digging the field out of some snow that is expected on Thursday.

good luck to them.
Oct 26, 2016
195 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Meh, soccer doesn't matter. It's all about the Leafs, Raptors, and Jays in this town.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
4696 posts
911 upvotes
GTA
...And the only Toronto-based events this season that solicited more demand this year were the NBA all-star game and dunk contest in February; no regular season Raptors game last season garnered as much interest.

Saturday’s game is doing so well it’s getting into Leafs territory. According to the company, the demand is in line with the most in-demand Leafs’ playoff game during their 2013 series against the Boston Bruins.
https://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/2 ... nutes.html
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2507 posts
160 upvotes
let's hope the reds do well and take it down.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4292 posts
300 upvotes
azn_dan wrote:
Dec 6th, 2016 4:17 pm
let's hope the reds do well and take it down.
it would be nice.

i am always astounded at how popular soccer is but yet Canada is so horrible in national play and have been so for as long as i can remember with one exception of them getting lucky in the 80s only to be thumped... This is as it relates to mens soccer...

boy was i a big carl valentine fan.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2507 posts
160 upvotes
I think its just the mentality of Canadians, most of them think its hockey or nothing. I believe the general public also feel that it is a boring sport, I disagree wholeheartedly.

Soccer is huge everywhere else and I think how well we do as a country on the international stage boils down to development. Look at Iceland in the Euros, that country has a population of 300K (i believe) and they have a huge presence in developing kids and giving them the proper training. Licensed coaches, year round facilities and funding. Canada pales in comparison.

My coworker's son is part of the national team and last year when they were at a tournament in Jamaica for the world cup qualifiers (u21?) the coach rotated the kids per game like it was a house league. He didn't always play the best kids and that's what hurt them.

I think with the right amount of focus and attention, Canada could become decent, but the investment and time to see things come to fruition just aren't there.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
2921 posts
267 upvotes
Mississauga
So excited for this, 10 years in the making, Saturday night will be nuts.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4127 posts
656 upvotes
Mississauga
mkjr wrote:
Dec 7th, 2016 1:21 pm
it would be nice.

i am always astounded at how popular soccer is but yet Canada is so horrible in national play and have been so for as long as i can remember with one exception of them getting lucky in the 80s only to be thumped... This is as it relates to mens soccer...

boy was i a big carl valentine fan.
There's a lag though. From when it gets popular, you basically have to wait for the next generation of new borns to grow up as fans and get there. Just like how we see more and more Canadians in the NBA only in recent years (in the grand scheme of things, it's still very few, but much more than back in the day).

So maybe we'll see it change 5-10 years from now. With that said, it will always be hard to compete with countries where it's a top national sport and it's what all the kids play from a toddler age.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2003
4536 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
Can someone explain to me why they play home and away on aggregate all the way to the finals, and then just one game in the finals?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2507 posts
160 upvotes
milhaus wrote:
Dec 8th, 2016 11:12 am
Can someone explain to me why they play home and away on aggregate all the way to the finals, and then just one game in the finals?
It is similiar to the way the champions league is played out beyond the group stage. The final is a winner take all sort of deal, no redos and no second chances.

The aggregate matches can be seen as a way of determining a worthy winner among the two teams and gives them both an advantage of playing a home game each. Usually the finals though, doesn't favour anyone but in the case of the MLS, the team with the better standings during the regular season earns that advantage.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
4696 posts
911 upvotes
GTA
An interesting article by the Guardian: MLS Cup, Toronto FC and soccer's fight for relevance in Canada

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... nce-canada

This bit caught my attention...
Men’s soccer in Canada, however, is not the direct analogue of hockey, basketball, and baseball. It is arguably the sport with the greatest promise for the future, a sport that, in its domestic form, has yet to fully capture the public imagination. It is, however, the sport that Canadian children play. Since 1998 government surveys have indicated that more Canadians aged five to 14 play soccer than hockey. The gap has grown to the point where, in 2010, soccer was nearly twice as popular with the nation’s children. “Everybody I know played soccer,” says soccer journalist and Toronto FC supporter Sonja Cori Missio. “Obviously it doesn’t have the same sort of continual outlasting like you have in Italy or England.”

The MLS Cup final is therefore an opportunity to unite the disparate constituencies in the local soccer culture and establish life-long bonds. “The excitement of the two games and the amount of goals, I can’t imagine this won’t bring more people into the sport,” Toronto FC manager Greg Vanney said after the Eastern Conference final. Should that happen, the city’s many soccer communities might finally coalesce. “I hope that kids and players will start saying things like ‘I want to play for TFC’ instead of ‘I want to play for Arsenal, Barça, or Udinese’,” Missio says. “I want them to see TFC as a legitimate professional team like the Jays and Raptors.”
Sep 12, 2006
878 posts
28 upvotes
nestleman wrote:
Dec 6th, 2016 12:43 pm
Meh, soccer doesn't matter. It's all about the Leafs, Raptors, and Jays in this town.
Bob McCown is that you ?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
1904 posts
217 upvotes
Toronto
izzyzz wrote:
Dec 8th, 2016 12:31 pm
An interesting article by the Guardian: MLS Cup, Toronto FC and soccer's fight for relevance in Canada

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... nce-canada

This bit caught my attention...
Not sure I agree with the statement of soccer fighting for relevance in Canada. Soccer has been relevant for over 50 years.
For those of us that have followed Toronto FC from day one 10 years ago, we know about the sellouts and scarcity of available tickets even duriing all of those lean years when they were performing very poorly on the pitch.
Now that they are in a championship game, people that never paid attention to it before are talking like soccer is something new...well it's not new.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
6516 posts
1278 upvotes
i ran into quite a few of the seattle sounders players yesterday. i didn't wish them luck.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel