• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2017 11:10 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2673 posts
214 upvotes
Biff88 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2016 10:56 pm
Not sure I agree with the statement of soccer fighting for relevance in Canada. Soccer has been relevant for over 50 years.
For those of us that have followed Toronto FC from day one 10 years ago, we know about the sellouts and scarcity of available tickets even duriing all of those lean years when they were performing very poorly on the pitch.
Now that they are in a championship game, people that never paid attention to it before are talking like soccer is something new...well it's not new.
I would definitely agree with that statement and article by the guardian. Just look at the third post of this thread.

Obviously soccer isn't new, its the most widely played sport in the world and Canada as a whole isn't at that level yet, they still think hockey is everything.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
4836 posts
957 upvotes
GTA
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 10:39 am
i ran into quite a few of the seattle sounders players yesterday. i didn't wish them luck.
That was cold... Good job! :)
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
1940 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto
azn_dan wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 12:23 pm
I would definitely agree with that statement and article by the guardian. Just look at the third post of this thread.

Obviously soccer isn't new, its the most widely played sport in the world and Canada as a whole isn't at that level yet, they still think hockey is everything.
The third post in thread was ignorant. And hey this is RFD where 99.9% of the posters hate sports anyway :)
Up until this year I had been hearing ignorant comments that nobody cares about basketball and the Raptors because it is a Maple Leaf town...this after the Raptors being in the NBA for 20 years!
The writer of the article on the UK based web site is not a full time sports writer so I dont know how much stock I would put into it.

Toronto FC playing to packed houses for its entire 10 year existence proves the point of the teams popularity. I personally know of 5 TFC subscribers and many folks like myself who go down to maybe 4 or 5 games per year.
Oh btw could you tell all of those crazy people on Stubhub and the other ticket reselling sites that are selling tickets to the Cup game that soccer doesnt matter? Tell them to stop selling (and getting) those outrageous prices that Biff88 cant afford..
I tried to get tickets when they went on sale on ticketmaster but got shut out when they sold out in a minute. Yeah nobody cares about soccer.

Ok I dont want to argue with you. If you just started watching soccer thats great. Enjoy the game tomorrow because it's going to be a great event that will be remembered for years to come.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
4836 posts
957 upvotes
GTA
Biff88 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 9:03 pm
The third post in thread was ignorant. And hey this is RFD where 99.9% of the posters hate sports anyway :)
Up until this year I had been hearing ignorant comments that nobody cares about basketball and the Raptors because it is a Maple Leaf town...this after the Raptors being in the NBA for 20 years!
The writer of the article on the UK based web site is not a full time sports writer so I dont know how much stock I would put into it.

Toronto FC playing to packed houses for its entire 10 year existence proves the point of the teams popularity. I personally know of 5 TFC subscribers and many folks like myself who go down to maybe 4 or 5 games per year.
Oh btw could you tell all of those crazy people on Stubhub and the other ticket reselling sites that are selling tickets to the Cup game that soccer doesnt matter? Tell them to stop selling (and getting) those outrageous prices that Biff88 cant afford..
I tried to get tickets when they went on sale on ticketmaster but got shut out when they sold out in a minute. Yeah nobody cares about soccer.

Ok I dont want to argue with you. If you just started watching soccer thats great. Enjoy the game tomorrow because it's going to be a great event that will be remembered for years to come.
Those "outrageous" prices currently start at $135 USD on Stubhub. In your estimate, if the Raptors, the Blue Jays or the Leafs made their respective championship finals, what would the tickets be going for? :)
Oct 26, 2016
239 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
deadprez wrote:
Dec 8th, 2016 10:11 pm
Bob McCown is that you ?
Nope, but will be watching the UFC event in Toronto at the ACC.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
1940 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto
izzyzz wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 9:45 pm
Those "outrageous" prices currently start at $135 USD on Stubhub. In your estimate, if the Raptors, the Blue Jays or the Leafs made their respective championship finals, what would the tickets be going for? :)
Glad you bothered to check.
The pre-fab temporary seating, which I call the scaffolding that will be soon be torn down at the south end has a few seats starting at $135 USD for the very last rows with most going for $150 to $300USD. However the real seating in the permanent stands starts at $200+ and is going to $1000 USD.

For comparison I made 2 purchases on Stubhub earlier this year for Toronto team Playoff games, $66 USD for Blue Jays ALCS game, $105 USD for Raptors Conf semi game.
So the absolute cheapest TFC ticket in the prefab seating is priced above the Baseball and Basketball playoff tickets that I bought.
Obviously the high demand, instant sellout and the rabid fanbase are certainly placing the ticket prices inline or better than the other Toronto sports franchises that were in the playoffs.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
4836 posts
957 upvotes
GTA
Biff88 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 12:21 am
Glad you bothered to check.
The pre-fab temporary seating, which I call the scaffolding that will be soon be torn down at the south end has a few seats starting at $135 USD for the very last rows with most going for $150 to $300USD. However the real seating in the permanent stands starts at $200+ and is going to $1000 USD.

For comparison I made 2 purchases on Stubhub earlier this year for Toronto team Playoff games, $66 USD for Blue Jays ALCS game, $105 USD for Raptors Conf semi game.
So the absolute cheapest TFC ticket in the prefab seating is priced above the Baseball and Basketball playoff tickets that I bought.
Obviously the high demand, instant sellout and the rabid fanbase are certainly placing the ticket prices inline or better than the other Toronto sports franchises that were in the playoffs.
You aren't comparing apples to apples, TFC playoff tickets could be had below $100 USD on Stubhub. The question was, what do you estimate the tickets to the finals (or to the one deciding final game to put it in perspective) for each respective team be going for?
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
1940 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto
izzyzz wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 10:46 am
You aren't comparing apples to apples, TFC playoff tickets could be had below $100 USD on Stubhub. The question was, what do you estimate the tickets to the finals (or to the one deciding final game to put it in perspective) for each respective team be going for?
No idea as anything would be a pure guess with nothing to back it up. One thing is for sure, all of the Toronto teams, TFC included, sell out their playoff games leaving many shut out and that is a good thing as it means there is strong fan support.

Question for you. In the oversaturated sports broadcast and print media market that Toronto is, where we hear about our sports teams ad nauseam, why would you post a story about a Toronto team's first championship game by a part time sports writer from an overseas based web site? Theres tons of local coverage on the Toronto based newspaper, television and sports network web sites as it is.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
4836 posts
957 upvotes
GTA
Biff88 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 11:31 am
No idea as anything would be a pure guess with nothing to back it up. One thing is for sure, all of the Toronto teams, TFC included, sell out their playoff games leaving many shut out and that is a good thing as it means there is strong fan support.
That's a bit disingenuous. It's safe to say that it will be more expensive than every single example you've provided. Definitely more expensive than the game 6 of the Raptors vs Cavaliers Conference Finals last year. The crappiest standing room tickets for that game were going for $194.50 USD/each ($182.50 USD for single seats only):

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf ... ren_2.html
Biff88 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 11:31 am
Question for you. In the oversaturated sports broadcast and print media market that Toronto is, where we hear about our sports teams ad nauseam, why would you post a story about a Toronto team's first championship game by a part time sports writer from an overseas based web site? Theres tons of local coverage on the Toronto based newspaper, television and sports network web sites as it is.
I am more interested about what is in the story, rather than trying to find faults with the author (ad hominem) or the source to push my point. As far as the contents, they largely agree with many local stories. Ticket prices people are willing to pay (where more relevant examples are used) agree as well.

I do believe that this season's run (and ideally the MLS championship win) will finally put TFC on the same level as other franchises in the city, allow them to charge higher ticket prices, improve infrastructure, invest more in players, etc.. But they're not there yet.

I must say, I can't complain about my 200-level seats that cost me $103 each. :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
6845 posts
223 upvotes
Playing in 10 cm of snow tonight? Who made up these schedules to stretch all the way into December??
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
1940 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto
izzyzz wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 12:15 pm
I do believe that this season's run (and ideally the MLS championship win) will finally put TFC on the same level as other franchises in the city, allow them to charge higher ticket prices, improve infrastructure, invest more in players, etc.. But they're not there yet.

I must say, I can't complain about my 200-level seats that cost me $103 each. :)
Wow!..where did you get them for so cheap?
My subscriber friends paid about that much for their own seats. Just checked back on the Ticketmaster resale site where seats had been going for min $200CDN this week and now the cheapest is $242.

As for investing more in players, they have the highest payroll in the league already. If they can even add even more salary next year...they may become the New York Yankees of the MLS :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
4836 posts
957 upvotes
GTA
Biff88 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 1:56 pm
Wow!..where did you get them for so cheap?
My subscriber friends paid about that much for their own seats. Just checked back on the Ticketmaster resale site where seats had been going for min $200CDN this week and now the cheapest is $242.

As for investing more in players, they have the highest payroll in the league already. If they can even add even more salary next year...they may become the New York Yankees of the MLS :)
Actually, that's the price before the season seat holder discount, I believe it was $80-something in the end, haven't looked at my bill... But yea, $103 face value for the championship final in this city is insane!!

Payroll is fine, I agree, they do need to upgrade the stadium and add more / better seating, IMO.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
1940 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto
bobbings wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 1:12 pm
Playing in 10 cm of snow tonight? Who made up these schedules to stretch all the way into December??
The underground heating system will keep the pitch in good shape for the game.
Yes the season is way too long. Too many breaks, accomodating tournament schedules etc. Season starts in March and goes 2 weeks past the Canadian Football League finish!
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
1940 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto
izzyzz wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 2:10 pm
Actually, that's the price before the season seat holder discount, I believe it was $80-something in the end, haven't looked at my bill... But yea, $103 face value for the championship final in this city is insane!!

Payroll is fine, I agree, they do need to upgrade the stadium and add more / better seating, IMO.
They've done a great job with the stadium renovations in the last few years. I agree the seating itself can be improved with fold down seats with tall seatbacks and maybe a padded bottom too.

I think that you should sell me your seats for the game afterall you feel that soccer hasn't arrived yet... you could put that money towards Raptor or Leaf playoff tickets :) just kidding..it's going to be an awesome game and an awesome event...Enjoy the game, it will be a night to remember!!
Last edited by Biff88 on Dec 10th, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
6845 posts
223 upvotes
Biff88 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 2:20 pm
The underground heating system will keep the pitch in good shape for the game.
Yes the season is way too long. Too many breaks, accomodating tournament schedules etc. Season starts in March and goes 2 weeks past the Canadian Football League finish!
I agree about the breaks. It's completely unnecessary to have a 10 day break from the last game the TFC played against Mtl.

Is it allowed for the players to come out wearing some Canada Goose Parkas? Lol
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!