Toronto FC / MLS Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2017 11:51 am
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2006
4527 posts
810 upvotes
Mississauga
Back in 2011, the MLS Cup Final Match was still played in late November. But after that, it was pushed to around this time of December every year. That later finish this season was the result of the long break after second round because of players playing international matches related to qualifying for various major tournaments.

It's unfortunate that they had to play in such relatively cold conditions. If it was like the warmer weather we had previously, I believe Toronto FC would have destroyed Seattle. But it is what it is. Unfortunate finish and loss at the hands of Penalty Kicks. :(

Great season nonetheless.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
4922 posts
1005 upvotes
GTA
Just got home from the game... Obviously disappointing to lose on penalty kicks. We've had plenty of chances in both regular and extra time, but give Seattle credit, their defense and positional play was very strong. Giovinco should have been subbed much earlier, IMO, but it's all pointless now. Great season by Toronto FC! Let's hope for another good run next year!!
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
1924 posts
476 upvotes
Global Village
This season, it is a testament to the legacy of Tim Leiweke, the decision to invest so much more $ in TFC players and the new BMO Field really paid off this year.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4293 posts
301 upvotes
MaximDude wrote:
Dec 10th, 2016 11:26 pm
Damn they say Seattle had THREE SHOT ATTEMPTS the entire game including overtime and NONE OF THEM were on goal and yet they STILL win the Championship!??!?!??! Angry Face Angry Face

This is why soccer is a crappy sport that won't grow here. I watched because its TFC but no way I'd watch a whole season of this crap.
Yup. Any sport that decides the outcome this way is just plane too lazy to come up with a more equitable way to decide the outcome. I've also never understood why OT is not sudden death.

I did not watch any of the game as I don't watch soccer at all really.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
1960 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
mkjr wrote:
Dec 11th, 2016 1:44 pm
Yup. Any sport that decides the outcome this way is just plane too lazy to come up with a more equitable way to decide the outcome. I've also never understood why OT is not sudden death.

All of my hockey loving friends also share your opinion. But this is soccer and the players can't play forever as it's too physically demanding to keep playing on and on. In hockey there are line substitutions and they can play on for a long time in sudden death overtime games. Same with the other sports, there are lots of substitutions. In soccer there are only a few substitutions and they cant play forever.

Most fans familiar with soccer are ok with games being decided by penalty kicks as it is and has always been part of the game and teams prepare for it. Yeah it sucks that we lost, but Seattle won fair and square. Full marks to them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
4922 posts
1005 upvotes
GTA
mkjr wrote:
Dec 11th, 2016 1:44 pm

OT used to be sudden death (aka, play until "golden goal"), but they've changed it a little while ago, presumably to make it more "fair" to the team surrendering the goal. I do prefer the sudden death format as well.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7036 posts
783 upvotes
Toronto
Naw, it's silly way to end a match. They just aren't very inventive. It's simple, reduce the size of the pitch and # of players when OT progresses to reduce the fatigue argument. PKs are garbage as it's a lot of luck at play, I still remember when a superior England team lost to the Germans in the 1990 WC. Let them play on!

I felt TFC was gonna lose for some strange reason.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9680 posts
825 upvotes
Biff88 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2016 2:08 pm
All of my hockey loving friends also share your opinion. But this is soccer and the players can't play forever as it's too physically demanding to keep playing on and on. In hockey there are line substitutions and they can play on for a long time in sudden death overtime games. Same with the other sports, there are lots of substitutions. In soccer there are only a few substitutions and they cant play forever.

Most fans familiar with soccer are ok with games being decided by penalty kicks as it is and has always been part of the game and teams prepare for it. Yeah it sucks that we lost, but Seattle won fair and square. Full marks to them.
Maybe they should add substitutions in OT. Let players re-enter the game... but even still, since there is much less scoring in soccer, it is far more common they could play a game or 2 games worth of overtime minutes before a goal is scored. Compared to hockey where that doesn't happen very often.

Maybe add more time in overtime? Golden goal after 30 minutes and if nobody score after 90 minutes of OT, then kick penalty kicks.

Something needs to be done. You won't get much adoption in NA if there are games where a team can't even get a shot on goal and win the game.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2707 posts
220 upvotes
that Bradley pk though.....

It was an interesting game and Toronto had some chances, didn't take them very well but so many factors in play, it is what it is.

Giovinco deservedly was subbed, sure he could have been a deciding factor in the PKs but he wasn't outstanding to me in any way. Armando Cooper was another horrible selection on the roster, should have been yanked earlier.

Also the officianting was another issue for me. Sure it was fair and they let alot of things go...but thats where you take away from the skill of the game. Maybe Giovinco may have faired better who knows.

I don't watch MLS often but as I was watching the Man U and Tottenham game....my god the difference in quality was like night and day.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
6808 posts
946 upvotes
Ajax
Biff88 wrote:
Dec 11th, 2016 2:08 pm

Can someone chime on this. I would have thought hockey is the more demanding of the two. You are getting breaks but you are going full when you are on the ice.
If a Stanley Cup final, where games are played every other day or consecutive days can have sudden death overtime, I don't see why mls playoffs what we just experienced with 6 games in a month and a half can't keep playing. Not trolling or trying to hurt the sentiments of soccer folks, just questioning.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3383 posts
356 upvotes
bobcat99 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2016 11:30 am
Can someone chime on this. I would have thought hockey is the more demanding of the two. You are getting breaks but you are going full when you are on the ice.
If a Stanley Cup final, where games are played every other day or consecutive days can have sudden death overtime, I don't see why mls playoffs what we just experienced with 6 games in a month and a half can't keep playing. Not trolling or trying to hurt the sentiments of soccer folks, just questioning.

There's no point trying to debate this - both are physically demanding in their own respect. In Soccer - you still have to put in 100% effort when the ball is in play around you and you can probably jog it out while it's in another zone but if your effectiveness still goes down over the course of a game.

On another note - It was clear to me TFC should've won this game and its very unfortunate a CUP FINAL game has to resort to penalty kicks to come to a decision. During the regular and extra time, they were the team dominating on both ends but just always came up a little short.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4293 posts
301 upvotes
I guess I don't watch soccer enough to know whether to end games in penalties is good or bad.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
1960 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
bobcat99 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2016 11:30 am
I played quite a bit of both soccer and hockey back in my youth and they were both demanding, but soccer was worse in terms of the required endurance. You're literally running or jogging all of the time. After playing any extra time over and above 90 minutes I literally wanted to drop. Its not humanly possible to keep running for hours upon hours.

In hockey as typical there were at least 3 lines and its true you do go all out on your shift but there are times when you can stop moving your feet and still glide at a relatively fast speed. Hockey is of course more physical and that can take it's toll on it's own, but then again you get to rest for 2/3rds of the game on the bench.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
1960 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
mkjr wrote:
Dec 12th, 2016 3:27 pm
I guess I don't watch soccer enough to know whether to end games in penalties is good or bad.
It's neither... it's just the way it is :)

The close to 200 countries in the world that play soccer dont have a problem with it, it's only us in North America..especially in Canada that complain about games or championships being won on penalty kicks.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2838 posts
709 upvotes
Toronto
Hilarious to watch North Americans discuss soccer! :D

I agree that a penalty shootout is a terrible way to end a game, but it's the only feasible way of doing it. Playing sudden death like in hockey would kill soccer players. As Biff pointed out, soccer is endurance all the way with short bursts of speed here and there - it's extremely demanding. On average soccer players run around 10km in 90 minutes, while hockey players skate around 7-8km. Now, remember, soccer players are constantly moving their legs because they're running, while hockey players are helped by gliding on the ice surface for a lot of the time.

Also, with hockey there are 20 players overall, with usually four lines and only 5 active skaters on the ice at a time. Lots of rest for hockey players, unless you're one of the few that gets 30mins+ of playing time, but that is rare. Nobody is saying hockey is not demanding (it is), but with the line rotation and the gliding on the ice, it is demanding in a different way which allows you to play marathon overtime hockey games like you see in the playoffs with not that much loss of intensity. Just not possible with soccer.

Also remember that just by sheer worldwide numbers soccer attracts the absolute best athletes. Hockey just happens to attract the best athletes in Canada and that's it - there's no wide appeal beyond our country. So, if soccer players in the World Cup are completely exhausted and cramping up after 90 minutes and extra time, it's certainly not because they are lazy or undertrained, it's because it's actually an extremely demanding sport.

Now, don't get me started on other North American sports. I heard an NFL game has on average 11 minutes of actual playing time... A receiver might run for as much as 2km in a game... I just don't get it. It must be one of the most boring sports ever conceived.