Toronto FC / MLS Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2017 5:37 pm
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7214 posts
838 upvotes
Toronto
I like your athleticism analysis but NFL football being boring vs soccer? That's a laugh, esp to the N Amer audience. It's not the quantity, it's the QUALITY. Yankee football is like chess, a war played out on a battlefield w/ various different pieces vs soccer which pales far below w/ nothing much happening for most of the match. Heck, that's why fans invent those chanting songs...to keep themselves from falling asleep due to boredom lol.

EDIT: I wonder how many sports have such contrasts in results, i.e. A team was superior in reg time but lost to B team in penalties or some other sudden-death format. Soccer is pretty striking in giving some really bad results. Are there other sports where it seem as 'unjust'?
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
2867 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2016 3:17 pm
I like your athleticism analysis but NFL football being boring vs soccer? That's a laugh, esp to the N Amer audience. It's not the quantity, it's the QUALITY. Yankee football is like chess, a war played out on a battlefield w/ various different pieces vs soccer which pales far below w/ nothing much happening for most of the match. Heck, that's why fans invent those chanting songs...to keep themselves from falling asleep due to boredom lol.

EDIT: I wonder how many sports have such contrasts in results, i.e. A team was superior in reg time but lost to B team in penalties or some other sudden-death format. Soccer is pretty striking in giving some really bad results. Are there other sports where it seem as 'unjust'?
Chess lol! Not exactly the kind of brain game I would associate with NFL fans...! :D And to bobcat's point, yes, I am totally biased. :D

Now, to stay slightly on topic, when you are talking about contrast in results, soccer is a game of offense and defense and teams that are extreme in either can get results, but usually a more balanced approach is better in the long run. I find the same often happens in the NHL - teams being completely outshot, but a hot goalie can steal the win for you completely against the run of play. I actually think this happens more often in hockey than in soccer, but that perception could just come from the sheer volume of games in the NHL.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7214 posts
838 upvotes
Toronto
Little Tim wrote:
Dec 13th, 2016 4:13 pm
Chess lol! Not exactly the kind of brain game I would associate with NFL fans...! :D And to bobcat's point, yes, I am totally biased. :D

Now, to stay slightly on topic, when you are talking about contrast in results, soccer is a game of offense and defense and teams that are extreme in either can get results, but usually a more balanced approach is better in the long run. I find the same often happens in the NHL - teams being completely outshot, but a hot goalie can steal the win for you completely against the run of play. I actually think this happens more often in hockey than in soccer, but that perception could just come from the sheer volume of games in the NHL.
I think it's because soccer players put their all into the match and to come up short like that really stings. I can stomach a hot hockey goalie better.

As for chess, well, not in the intellectual sense (but then, see below, it is more strategic in Yankee football) but in actually having 'real' different positions akin to different chess board pieces. It's definitely more strategic a game because different players have more defined different ftns.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
4973 posts
1033 upvotes
GTA
To chime in on the subject of whether soccer or hockey is a more physically taxing sport, I do notice that there are many hockey players who are able to stay competitive in their late 30's and some into their 40's. It is extremely rare in soccer/football. The guys tend to retire in their early to mid 30s, unable to compete with younger players or bogged down by injuries.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2740 posts
231 upvotes
soccer = boring? We are talking the world's most popular sport right?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4293 posts
301 upvotes
azn_dan wrote:
Dec 14th, 2016 11:40 am
just because it is popular does not mean that to some, it is boring. just like some find curling boring....please don't assume everyone looks at things the way you do. that is what you have assumed.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2740 posts
231 upvotes
mkjr wrote:
Dec 14th, 2016 1:57 pm
just because it is popular does not mean that to some, it is boring. just like some find curling boring....please don't assume everyone looks at things the way you do. that is what you have assumed.
To the majority, it is liked, that is all.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7214 posts
838 upvotes
Toronto
I like it too, but one cannot deny that it has looooong stretches of boredom. That's just part of the game.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
4973 posts
1033 upvotes
GTA
tranquility922 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2016 2:10 am
I like it too, but one cannot deny that it has looooong stretches of boredom. That's just part of the game.
I can deny it. There, I just did it! LOL...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7214 posts
838 upvotes
Toronto
izzyzz wrote:
Dec 16th, 2016 4:38 pm
I can deny it. There, I just did it! LOL...
Are you just on tonight or will you be here all week? Hahah.
Jul 17, 2011
160 posts
59 upvotes
bobcat99 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2016 11:30 am
Can someone chime on this. I would have thought hockey is the more demanding of the two. You are getting breaks but you are going full when you are on the ice.
If a Stanley Cup final, where games are played every other day or consecutive days can have sudden death overtime, I don't see why mls playoffs what we just experienced with 6 games in a month and a half can't keep playing. Not trolling or trying to hurt the sentiments of soccer folks, just questioning.
Playing both (albeit not at very high level technique was, decent fitness wise) hockey has a way shorter recovery time. I could easily play three hockey games in 3 days and perform well, the day after a soccer game is a recovery day. Once I hit my 30's make that two recovery days. I think the impact of running, stopping, turning on joints and muscles is just much higher when running than when skating. Also injuries (not all nasty ones, some just take 4-5 days to heal up) routinely happen in soccer (getting kicked, kneed or in some cases just something you do yourself) and that almost never happens to me in hockey (likely thanks to all the padding). Pure exhaustion happens more in hockey but that's because that happens in an anaerobic sport. But anaerobic exhaustion recovers pretty quick (before the next shift). In a more aerobic sport, when you get to the point of exhaustion you're done for the day.

With regard to playing over 120 minutes in stead of penalty kicks - that's when even the best trained athletes will start to get cramps in their legs or won't be able to pull of the sprints that are required anymore, level of play will just drop and luck is also going to be a big factor. I don't think a smaller playing field or playing with less players will do much to prevent that. Allowing the entire team to be substituted and allowing players probably would, but that would give a huge advantage to a team/country with a squad with more quality in 'depth' of the squad which wouldn't be fair to smaller teams/countries that have less money/smaller talent pool than bigger ones. Nevertheless PK's are not a great way to end a match, but likely one of the better solutions.

NFL boring or soccer boring? I prefer to watch a game that has 80% effective playing time to 15%. Sure there's more action in the effective playing time in NFL but for me the fact that literally any second in a soccer game a big moment COULD happen continues to make it exciting to watch. All the stoppage in play in NFL annoys the hell out of me. But to each their own.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2374 posts
174 upvotes
Brampton
azn_dan wrote:
Dec 14th, 2016 11:40 am
That might have something to do with the lack of equipment needed to play a game and why it's very popular among poor countries. You just need any sized ball.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7214 posts
838 upvotes
Toronto
Also, it's not about the quantity, it's the *quality*. That's like saying Dickey is great because he eats up 200 innings/season, but the dude stinks, so who cares? Things 'could' happen in soccer, but rarely do, whereas every play ends in something in Yank football. :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
4973 posts
1033 upvotes
GTA
Ticketmaster will have Toronto FC 2017 Season individual game tickets on sale February 9th at 10am EST if anyone is interested:

https://www.ticketmaster.ca/Toronto-FC- ... st/1110670

Season seat holders got early access to individual game tickets yesterday and there is a pre-sale going on today if you have a code (I have no idea where/how to get it). Very reasonable ticket prices, especially compared to other franchises in Toronto and lots of weekend games.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
1983 posts
232 upvotes
Toronto
izzyzz wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 12:48 pm
Ticketmaster will have Toronto FC 2017 Season individual game tickets on sale February 9th at 10am EST if anyone is interested:

https://www.ticketmaster.ca/Toronto-FC- ... st/1110670

Season seat holders got early access to individual game tickets yesterday and there is a pre-sale going on today if you have a code (I have no idea where/how to get it). Very reasonable ticket prices, especially compared to other franchises in Toronto and lots of weekend games.
Bought tickets to some games this morning in the pre-sale. Am on a TFC email list so got notified with the code.
Looking forward to this season to see if the Reds can take care of last season's unfinished business!!