Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Freebies

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Toronto - Feb 13/14. NBA All Star seat fillers needed

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2017 8:28 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26213 posts
39757 upvotes
Toronto
XSnapSX wrote: I was there for Sunday's game and as previously confirmed by other RFD members. Scott the person who seems to be in charge instructed all staff that no one is allowed to leave and we must stay in the cold holding area.. Overall a horrible event hosted by Gotham Casting filled with unethical and rude staff.
That's ridiculous. Essentially kidnapping if true. I'm surprised so many people put up with such horrible treatment, must've been truly naive NBA fans who didn't see they were getting exploited . I'd be out of there immediately, they touch you it is assault.

Make sure to let the Raptors/NBA know about Gotham Casting, what a mess! I feel bad for posting it but thankful I'm too ugly and didn't get selected.

Sounds like they let an intern do their tweeting. Threatening to sue? Really? Talk about an unmitigated PR disaster.
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Dec 29, 2007
487 posts
289 upvotes
Good thing I didn't go either. What's interesting is I saw a lot of empty seats on TV for Sunday's game...

I can also see that they're very disorganized just by the communications sent.

Their instructions via emails said: "remember: no photos backstage or on the floor" and "**NO CAMERAS OR VIDEOS. NO PHOTOS ALLOWED or PIX on PHONE"

However, after the event, another email said: "Big thanks from all of us at Gotham Casting for you for coming out -- remember to post all pictures and videos using #GOTHAMCASTING"

I RSVPed for Sunday's All Star Game, but in the Thanks for Coming! email, I got "Hope you had a blast at the events tonight!!! What was your favorite? 3 Point Shootout? Slam Dunk Contest? Skills Competition?"

Also noteworthy is the way they handle their issues. @Gotham_Casting tweeted: "@powerized123 please put us in contact with your personal lawyer as we will be looking into a libel/slander suit against you"

Instead of figuring out ways to improve people's experience, they resort to such harsh consequences and punishments for people that volunteer their valuable time to make their event a success.
Dec 3, 2006
59 posts
88 upvotes
Thornhill
I went to Sunday's event as well, and also agree with most of the posters experience. My friend and I didn't go there expecting to be seat fillers - we took a chance and hoped we could make it. While waiting in line in the cold, my friend and I tried to stop one of the organizers a few time, just to ask a question. They completely ignored us. They also ignored questions on Twitter. Like most other people in line, we were just looking for updates on timing. Anyhow, I'm glad I left early enough and found seats at a nearby bar to watch the game.
Dec 26, 2010
293 posts
765 upvotes
Toronto
Just thought I'd chime in - I was one of those selected for Saturday's skills competition as a seat filler, along with my partner. As many of mentioned, it was a bit of a dehumanizing experience. From being herded like cattle during the check in process, to being pushed around by the rest of the cattle...not great. However, once inside, one of the Gotham representatives instructed you to go left or right (which cut of beef you're going to be?). We were told to go right, and we were selected as seat fillers. Almost immediately after, we were led out to courtside, and were seated in the 3rd row. It was a surreal experience to sit and watch the game's greatest walk/sit in front of you, while you're sitting beside their wives. However, about after about an hour, we were instructed to vacate our seats for someone else. We were led back to the holding area, where we were again selected to go out to fill seats. However, that didn't pan out. When I asked a Gotham rep why we were selected, they said it was because they liked our "look" - whatever that means. All in all, a rewarding experience for waiting in the cold.

Sunday was an entirely different ballgame. The check in process was vastly improved, but the overall experience was a bit of a letdown (although I can admit that we were a bit spoiled by Saturday night). It was great to see the player introductions, but at that point we realized that we were simply going as fillers for the intro/halftime show, so we left.

This post isn't meant to be boastful - just trying to describe the other side of the experience.
Feb 14, 2016
1 posts
1 upvote
My friends and I were chosen for Sunday night. While waiting in line we saw staff pulling certain people from the line. Some they even knew personally. So we decided to follow and sneak to the other line hoping to be seat fillers.
After getting checked-in we were backstage being formed into groups and I realized that the first 10-15 people that were in the "staff picked line" we're not there so I assumed they got to fill seats. So the people waiting 2-3 hours early in the cold never got to seat fill even when they were told first come first serve.
The only positive experience of being backstage was seeing celebrities, NBA legends, and the all star lineup, walk by right beside you.
I knew right off the bat no one backstage would be able to seat fill so I decided to take matters in my own hands and do what I was invited to do, seat fill. Right after the halftime show I snuck off into the stands while the group was leaving through the tunnel, filled a seat watched the 3rd quarter then realized Gotham Casting still had my jacket hostage, so i ended up leaving.
I just tried to make the best of an upsetting experience, the only thing that kept my anger down that night was being able to see Michael Jordan and shaking the hand of Magic Johnson.
Aug 27, 2006
531 posts
1180 upvotes
GTA
sprung wrote: Yikes
https://twitter.com/powerized123/status ... 4706247680

If it sucks so badly people should leave. There is nothing compelling you to stay and suffer. I'd feel like a chump if treated like they said in Twitter post.

Looked up more Twitter posts, sounds like a grilled cheese event ;) poorly managed
noproblem wrote: ?"

Also noteworthy is the way they handle their issues. @Gotham_Casting tweeted: "@powerized123 please put us in contact with your personal lawyer as we will be looking into a libel/slander suit against you"

Instead of figuring out ways to improve people's experience, they resort to such harsh consequences and punishments for people that volunteer their valuable time to make their event a success.
What was the tweet?
It is deleted.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13284 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Anyone reached out to the media about this?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
11664 posts
6564 upvotes
Toronto
el'ation wrote: What was the tweet?
It is deleted.
Yeah tweet deleted....any screen caps?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
4777 posts
5069 upvotes
East GTA
Lol glad I didn't go, watched the game comfortably from my couch.
Jan 19, 2011
982 posts
322 upvotes
Montreal
Anyone have review websites where rating them badly will hurt them? I had low expectations and didn't care if I got to fill seats or not. Being a volunteer and not "in the business", I expected to be treated like normal human beings. If I was in the business and getting paid, that would be a different story.

I am happy I got to high five the starters in the ASG. But I definitely think they treated us like we owed them something. Definitely not cool and I agree with the many bad reviews.

Again, if anyone knows where I should post my tale of caution, I'd gladly do it, and surely other would too.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2013
2234 posts
731 upvotes
Toronto
supkhoa1 wrote: Anyone have review websites where rating them badly will hurt them? I had low expectations and didn't care if I got to fill seats or not. Being a volunteer and not "in the business", I expected to be treated like normal human beings. If I was in the business and getting paid, that would be a different story.

I am happy I got to high five the starters in the ASG. But I definitely think they treated us like we owed them something. Definitely not cool and I agree with the many bad reviews.

Again, if anyone knows where I should post my tale of caution, I'd gladly do it, and surely other would too.
How about the Better Business Bureau not sure if it applies.
Banned
Feb 13, 2015
1059 posts
243 upvotes
Oakville, ON
supkhoa1 wrote: Anyone have review websites where rating them badly will hurt them? I had low expectations and didn't care if I got to fill seats or not. Being a volunteer and not "in the business", I expected to be treated like normal human beings. If I was in the business and getting paid, that would be a different story.

You can write on their facebook page under visitor posts. Its one of the first things that come up on search for gotham casting so people will see it for sure

https://m.facebook.com/Gotham-Casting-16502939990/
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
11664 posts
6564 upvotes
Toronto

Yelp :)

Send this to also blog Toronto, toronto.com, Toronto star and other media outlets.. Positive that someone will pick up this story...
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
11664 posts
6564 upvotes
Toronto
BlazinTrini wrote: They are deleting all the negative posts
Sounds like a bunch of youngsters running that company...
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
sprung wrote: That's ridiculous. Essentially kidnapping if true. I'm surprised so many people put up with such horrible treatment, must've been truly naive NBA fans who didn't see they were getting exploited . I'd be out of there immediately, they touch you it is assault.

Make sure to let the Raptors/NBA know about Gotham Casting, what a mess! I feel bad for posting it but thankful I'm too ugly and didn't get selected.

Sounds like they let an intern do their tweeting. Threatening to sue? Really? Talk about an unmitigated PR disaster.
I agree Sprung...except if I was in this situation I would have started a fighting quarrel with the Rude bullying staff...as I can't stand Bullies...and enjoy bullying the bullies.

I would have riled up the timid naive crowd and demanded that the manager of the event...the person OVER the rude guy in charge there...come out and speak to me/us.

If you show them in these situations how pissed off you are, they fear the bad PR and things escalating...so they usually try to compromise and change there tone to a more welcoming and apologetic one.

And then after I get that I would just walk away anyway and nobody can stop me unless they want to get physical...which won't get pretty by then for them.

I don't get how people are timid and naive in these situations and don't start showing how pissed off they are when this is TAKING PLACE and not AFTER this has was done to them. /SMH

This is ridiculous, unprofessional and unacceptable from Gotham Casting...they should be call Arkham Asylum Casting instead! :mad:
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Guru
May 23, 2003
10229 posts
1652 upvotes
GTA
People with direct experience should contact the media . Would like to see a story on this in the media and shame Gotham...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)