Off Topic

toronto homeless shelter inside picture?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2012 9:36 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
2634 posts
106 upvotes
Calgary

does anyone seen/have it to post here? thanks
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
I've seen them before, for work...not as exciting as you might be expecting....1 was attached or in the basement of a church in Scarborough...just a big room like a cafeteria, with a lot of sketchy looking men sitting at tables talking, drinking coffe, snacking, reading the paper, watching tvs...and then a row of about 8 or 9 computers where I suppose they *could be looking for/applying to jobs.

Why?
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Jun 23, 2011
659 posts
26 upvotes
Mississauga
I've been to several, I've seen small shelters and big shelters. For example, the all-male shelter I've visited had a few very large rooms with 20 ish single beds in it. They all sleep there for the night. It's locked during the day but they can remain on the premises if they wish to play sports, watch TV, etc.
Mar 28, 2012
71 posts
Scarborough
I stayed at the women's shelter somewhere around Gerrard and Sherbourne because there was no availability in a shelter for abused women at the time I rushed in. That shelter is for addicted and mentally ill women. The people there had pretty decent accommodation. I actually felt safer there than living with my abusive relative. There was one thing though. I couldn't stand the reeking smell of foot in my room as I stayed longer. I also think a couple of my roommates are sick. They won't stop coughing the whole time I was there. The interior of the place is pretty similar to a motel. It had a lobby (which they use as movie room), a kitchen, cafeteria, (I liked the food), and a bunch of rooms upstairs. They had 2 bathrooms all in all I think. When I come there from work, I pass by this social bar with men in it that give me creepy stares when I look at em. I spoke to this chinese cashier lady in this convenience store on Dundas and I couldn't really understand all her response when I asked her how safe it is there but she said it's not safe at all. I wished her luck because she works there until past midnight, wow!
× < >