• Mar 20th, 2017 12:03 pm
[OP]
May 24, 2011
73 posts
2 upvotes
TORONTO

Toronto Homeshow 2013 ( Prize / Scam ?)

Hi There!

We went to the Toronto homeshow, where like most people we were signing up for prizes with trustworthy retailers. One of the areas had a booth to win a car + other prizes (cash, tv, laptop). So I started filling out the ballot on an iPad, as soon as I completed, the person asked me to wait as another person will get my winning ticket for the competition. I was standing behind a guy who was ahead of me and talking to a gentlemen who was dealing with us. I overheard, that you have to come for a presentation - free lunch / dinner and you get your price. I had heard about this scam, so I didn't bother and left.

After few days we have been getting many calls to come collect our prize, same thing. Attend a 1.5 hr presentation but a guaranteed prize from one of these:
1. Plasma TV
2. 1000$ furniture
3. Vacation
4. Toshiba Laptop
5. Cash Prize (500$)

They guarantee that these prizes has no financial obligation, all they will do is introduce their company and you pull out a ticket which will hold on of these prizes at the end of presentation. Anyone else getting this ? or has been through this?

They said their company name was something like Khashi / Kashi / Cashi..
30 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3857 posts
295 upvotes
Toronto
Since everything is free, ask them to mail you your price first and then you'll sit through the presentation and free meal. Ofcourse it's a scam!
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1012 upvotes
Toronto
Reminds me of an episode of King Of Queens.
They had the same idea, attend the seminar get a free TV, only to be constantly bombarded by the "sales pitch", and I don't even think they got the TV
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2239 posts
467 upvotes
Newmarket
Yes, we have learnt our lesson many years ago, now that you know just ignore them.
You will win a prize though, it will not be a tv, it will not be cash, it will not be furniture nor laptop, it will be a vacation, and what they mean by it it will be a hotel somewhere (no air, food or anything else) and during the time when nobody will go anyway.
I don't know anyone who would have attempted to claim the vacation prize, so not sure how well it would have gone.
You will also get a discount on timeshare, if you buy today (and only today) it will cost you $50,000 instead of $100,000 ;-).
[OP]
May 24, 2011
73 posts
2 upvotes
TORONTO
The Company's Name is : Cachet

Here is the invitation received from them! I am not going ...
http://tinypic.com/r/2hrimqc/6

I am uploading this so others can be aware as well...

thanks!
Nov 17, 2009
24 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
By Ontario law..all contests require a skill testing question and Rules and Regulations. There are certain requirements for the rules such as No purchase Necessary, description, value and quantity of prizing etc. This makes a contest different from a lottery where you just win by scratching a ticket for example. To run a lottery though the entity must be licensed by the OLG. So the company is mis-representing what they are doing in order to get a list assembled and then to a create a sales opportunity....stay away.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3584 posts
1367 upvotes
Toronto
LOL I love how they include 4 decent prizes in the list, when we all know everyone who attends will get 7 days at a crappy hotel in Florida during low season. You should email them back and tell them that you already have a vacation home in Florida and will only attend if they'll allow you to keep drawing tickets until you win a prize that isn't a trip to Florida. Or tell them that you're an inspector with OLGC and you need them to provide you with the odds of winning each prize...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3320 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
pintobean wrote:
Mar 27th, 2013 4:15 pm
LOL I love how they include 4 decent prizes in the list, when we all know everyone who attends will get 7 days at a crappy hotel in Florida during low season.
Nah, my guess is that everyone's going to get a "refurbished" 17" Toshiba Pentium 4 laptop from 2002 that some company dumped.
Jun 21, 2013
1 posts
Hey everyone so this cachet group calle me said I'm 1 in 30 finalist and I see no one has gone so I'm gonna be brave and go n see what this things about no harm done as they can't take money from me as I don't have much lol so ill post a proper review since I see no one has gone..
Jan 22, 2011
54 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
are you still alive after you went to this event/possible scam?
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4297 posts
326 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Was this an interior design firm?
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Apr 13, 2008
9 posts
Hey Guys,

So I went to this presentation at the insistence of my SO, even though she knew it didnt seem right. It was a sales pitch for Cachet Group which provides discounts on all kinds of services and products for the low fee of $8000. Things like mortgage rates (2.5% fixed for 3 years etc), 2% over dealer invoice rates on new cars, $499/person deals on cruises and many all inclusive resorts (this sounded quite nice actually). Also deals on anything from home reno materials to groceries at Longos etc.

We did get a prize though! Guess what we won! 7 night stay in Florida!! Yay! It didnt say only for off season.

Take it for what its worth. It could be worthwhile if you used it often enough. Not our thing though.
Nov 25, 2013
1 posts
Did anyone else there win anything other than the trip to Florida? What are the details of the Florida trip? Just curious, my wife and I BOTH got called tonight from a show on the weekend we were at, as separate winners. What are the odds!?
Mar 8, 2006
11 posts
Cachet pulling the same crap from the Gentleman's Expo this past weekend. They are buying your name off the ballots you fill out from the vendors at the show.

Pretty interesting that "I won" a so called prize from Cachet - Toshiba 17inch Laptop or 42 inch tv or 1500 cash or 1000 furniture or trip to Florida (hotel only!). All I have to do is bring my wife and listen to a 90 min presentation to buy things cheap for $8000 membership!

Isn't that why we use REDFLAGDEALS in the first place for free!!

BEWARE of this SCAM